Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

those opening 4 songs in the Stones set (Get Off Of My Cloud, It's Only Rock N Roll, Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter) are to die for. the kind of stuff that most bands would save for the encore, except the Stones have even BIGGER songs for their finale. if people aren't won over by those songs then there was never really much hope

to be fair, after those songs there does seem to be a dip in their setlist - not quality wise, but commercially wise - in which a lot of the crowd might not know the songs. the two new songs mixed with some older album tracks. but then of course you've got the closing 9 songs (Midnight Rambler, Miss You, Start Me Up, Tumbling Dice, Brown Sugar, Sympathy For The Devil, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Jumpin' Jack Flash and Satisfaction) which are gonna have people eating out of their hands

there is the possibility, much more so than with most bands, that they won't exactly be the best versions of those songs you've ever heard.

but honestly, i know on these forums we like to pick apart every little thing every band does, but i don't think the general Glastonbury crowd will give a shit. they'll hear a bunch of classic songs they can scream along to and that'll be that

It's Only Rock N Roll is a goddamn classic. maybe not remembered as fondly as other Stones songs, but i guarantee that chorus will be one of the biggest sing alongs of the Stones set - even non-Stones fans and people totally ignorant to the Stones know that chorus!

Great song but awful live. Vocal isn't big enough and Jagger's changed the melody over time.

I also don't think Get Of My Cloud should open glasto. It's great for an arena show but not the pyramid.

Should open with Jumping Jack Flash or start me up if needs be. Then GOMC 2nd and skip over iorr.

Rest of the set list good for glasto tho (pretty much) Just listen to JJF and imagine Keith strolling on stumping that with jagger strutting on behind. Perfect. The Rolling Stones have landed. xx

Start Me Up is the obvious choice for the first song, but god i hate it. though as i've said before, if they played it first and got it out of the way that's fine with me

they've opened with Get Off Of My Cloud at every show on this tour. maybe they'll change it for Glastonbury knowing that it'll be a very different show to their own, but i think it'll be the opener

there is the possibility, much more so than with most bands, that they won't exactly be the best versions of those songs you've ever heard.

especially Sympathy and Satisfaction

I'd happily see them ditch sympathy. Never before in the history of music has such an amazing song been so butchered by a live performance

Comment from Keef in the July Mojo interview (which seems almost totally taken up with the Stones):

One or two major acts have misjudged Glastonbury in the past. Will you alter things?

We're thinking and talking about that. I don't know if we'll have a different plan when we get there but its on our mind how to deal with big festivals

You could always come a cropper!

There's always a possibility. But if you're good at it and quick enough you can turn the thing around

Is "Sympathy" not the quintessential Stones song, butchered live or otherwise?

Lyrics on it are much ballyhooed but take a step back... The Devil demanding the listener "Use aaaaawwwlllll your well-earned politesse" under pain of eternal damnation should they bump into one another is just staggering.

Id like to see them start with either 'Start Me Up' or 'Lets spend the night together'.

Jumping Jack Flash shouldnt open, it should be near the end, maxmimum impact. Perfect for an encore

Encore is strong enough without it.

They opened Rio with JJF and that is probably the closest gig to Glasto they've done in recent years (IOW really doesn't count) perfect start! Start me up is likely but a bit "meh" compared to JJF. Brown Sugar/Satisfaction/JJF need to be spaced out. Start with JJF PLEASE!!! Make my year.

Also... LSTNT is a bit of a weak start, doesn't work for such a big event IMHO. Doubt it'll get played at all, which is a shame as it is a great song

Edited by Alabama shook

Encore is strong enough without it.

They opened Rio with JJF and that is probably the closest gig to Glasto they've done in recent years (IOW really doesn't count) perfect start! Start me up is likely but a bit "meh" compared to JJF. Brown Sugar/Satisfaction/JJF need to be spaced out. Start with JJF PLEASE!!! Make my year.

Also... LSTNT is a bit of a weak start, doesn't work for such a big event IMHO. Doubt it'll get played at all, which is a shame as it is a great song

IORR.org not hyped enough for you chief?

:D

I think one of the major factors is will they 'connect' with the punters. Jagger will be doing his upmost, I imagine.

I remember after Macca, some were disappointed that he seemed disconnected, and I partly agree, but he has the songs, and he played them as well as anyone could have hoped for.

The Stones....?

I've got no doubts whatsoever regarding Mick. Performance wise, he's still got it. Likewise Charlie. My concerns lie with the guitars and the setlist. The latter is looking like it'll be grand and the former is in reasonable shape. Omens are pretty good.

Jagger's not a big talker between-songs, so if people are going to be expecting lots of blether then they might come away thinking he's not engaged - but to claim he doesn't give it is all is to not give the fella his due. Admittedly, it could be said at this point to have lapsed into self-parody, but when you go to see Mick Jagger, you want to see Mick Jagger being Mick Jagger - not a bloke sitting unobtrusively on a stool.

Yeah - it's odd. A lot of Stevie's patter and showmanship was dire - the keytar, the haterade, Human Nature, the regression into Little Stevie for Fingertips. But it worked.

Bono tried, god love him, but maybe he tried too hard. It just came across as insincere. Ultimately a lot of people dislike him for the simple fact that he's Bono, so he was always facing an uphill battle.

If Jagger is going to do as he says and spend the weekend there, and the weather is good, hopefully he'll love it and would only have to say a few words about his experience to connect. If it's a muddy hellhole... hmm that might not happen!

Macca was weird wasn't it? Amazing gig, one of the best, but he did that stupid "groovy old man" schtick and it sort of spoiled it a bit.