Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Do you know it not to be true? Or you just don't know whether it is true?

I don't know either way, tho the stones doing three UK shows over three weekends seems to be at odds with other "in the know" claims about this tour from the bits and pieces I've read.

Someone I know met a 'booker' for Glastonbury last night, who said the Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac were"definitely" headlining. I had to point out FM's US tour dates in June to prove it couldn't be true. It's amazing how many random people claim to be 'in the know' just for a bit of kudos!

I really wouldn't be too surprised if that was a genuine booker (there's a number of them), but if he's that out of the loop it just gets to show how tightly the real info is being kept this year.

che..? you're putting trust in someone you know doesn't have a clue...?

No, I'm saying how ridiculous it is that someone makes stuff up to look important and 'in the know'. If this person was really a booker for Glastonbury he'd know full well FM weren't headlining!

The last sentence was just me saying I now think The Rolling Stones are headlining.

If this person was really a booker for Glastonbury he'd know full well FM weren't headlining!

you're assuming too much.

As a general rule, each stage is run as its own little empire, separate from the others. There's not necessarily any reason why a booker who has no involvement in the main stage would know what if being lined up for the main stage.

What does strike me as odd tho is that someone working that role not following wider music news around the fest they're involved in, but then again there's no particular reason why they'd have to be following things that closely.

As a general rule, each stage is run as its own little empire, separate from the others. There's not necessarily any reason why a booker who has no involvement in the main stage would know what if being lined up for the main stage.

What does strike me as odd tho is that someone working that role not following wider music news around the fest they're involved in, but then again there's no particular reason why they'd have to be following things that closely.

Fair enough, I guess it could've been more of a 'last I'd heard...' type statement. I'd still struggle to believe some random I'd met out and about though.

And, like you said earlier, they do seem to be especially tight-lipped this year which, despite my general impatient stance, I think is a good thing. Do you think that's why you've found it harder to get info this year (if that is indeed the case)?

I still think all roads are leading to the Stones headlining this year though.

Think I'm hoping the Stones will play too much.....had a dream I was watching them at Glastonbury last night!!

And I'm thinking that I really hope we get an announcement of any sort soon ... I had a dream about some you efesters last night and I've never (knowingly) met any of you lovely people. Thearg and Lucyginger - you were really sweet (you were a couple). Neil - you were the voice of God! Others were involved ....

I need help!!!! :girlcrazy:

Do you know it not to be true? Or you just don't know whether it is true?

Someone I know met a 'booker' for Glastonbury last night, who said the Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac were"definitely" headlining. I had to point out FM's US tour dates in June to prove it couldn't be true. It's amazing how many random people claim to be 'in the know' just for a bit of kudos!

(I reckon that clown might be right on the Stones though)

Ok. So FM playing east coast USA on Wednesday 26th June and Washington Sat 29th June. Could be Friday night headliners? Still get back to Washington with time difference. No problem sleeping on plane. AM not headlining???

I've no reason to disbelieve you but... Wouldn't this mean that an act could be contacted by multiple stages? Pretty much any act that could headline say the JP could play a lower slot on other for example... Surely there must be some communication between stages to prevent that sort of thing happening? Or would the artist just pick whichever one suited them best/offered a little more cash?

He reckons that The Rolling Stones have been putting festivals on hold (including Glastonbury), because Charlie Watts isn't too well

Someone might need to tell Charlie this as he's playing live with his other band next weekend:

http://www.pizzaexpresslive.com/jazzBook.aspx?showId=6f4ae45d-c7ba-45a3-a43b-27703d85d612&showDateId=6183

Make of this what you will, as it's hearsay, but....

I was speaking to one of my teachers yesterday (I do music, he claims to be in the know)... He said that his mate's wife works for the festivals department at the BBC, and she has some inside scoop about the Glasto headliners... He reckons that The Rolling Stones have been putting festivals on hold (including Glastonbury), because Charlie Watts isn't too well, and they don't want to make their schedule too harsh on him... On top of that, he also said the Mariah Carey rumours are totally false, and it's actually Madonna who is in talks... Mumfords are the backup for The Rolling Stones, and Arctic Monkeys are 100% playing the Friday. (I know we already knew the two latter bits)... He told me he'd tell me a bit more when he knows more.

T

hen again, he could well be bullshitting because he knows that I'd put the info straight on the internet haha!

But like I said, make of it what you will. Just adding the info I've been told.

there's no reason why the beeb would be given info of who is 'in talks'. I doubt the info is accurate.

I've no reason to disbelieve you but... Wouldn't this mean that an act could be contacted by multiple stages? Pretty much any act that could headline say the JP could play a lower slot on other for example... Surely there must be some communication between stages to prevent that sort of thing happening? Or would the artist just pick whichever one suited them best/offered a little more cash?

I doubt things would get that far. If a 2nd stage started a convo with an agent over a band then no doubt the agent would let him know of the other convo.

There's definitely an amount of inter-stage co-ordination done, but nothing of that requires any booker to know what's on other stages unless 2 stages had the same band and it needed a decision over who had them.

For the bigger stages where going for the same band would be most likely, the bookers are the same or work closely together anyway - but they're the bookers that the OP (or his mate?) would be least likely to randomly meet, I'd guess.

Tax deductible??

All charitable donations are (ultimately) tax deductible, whether paid by a company or individual.

But guessing at what you're getting at, it's not something done to lessen tax liabilities elsewhere and to actually increase the amount of money in the company's (or my) pocket.

The only tax 'avoided' is the tax which would otherwise be paid on that charity donation if it were instead company profit - and that 'avoided' tax gets to go straight to WaterAid.

There's no financial benefit to eFestivals* in making this charity donation. It's a financial loss, by giving away money that would otherwise (ultimately) end up in my pocket.

(* there could be deemed to be a financial benefit via the good public relations that the donation causes, but that's not anything measurable, and it's certainly nothing of why the donation is made. The donation is made out of a sense of social responsibility).