Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

you can - it was being done in stadiums for festivals nearly 30 years ago.

The rake of seats at the olympic stadium in the lower tier would mean losing a v high number of those though.

Anyway, I'm just passing on the info I have from people working on the park - and those are the reasons given for why they're having festivals out in the open bit rather than the stadium.

The rake of seats at the olympic stadium in the lower tier would mean losing a v high number of those though.

Anyway, I'm just passing on the info I have from people working on the park - and those are the reasons given for why they're having festivals out in the open bit rather than the stadium.

Certainly not trying to argue - you appear to know more than me about the workings of the park - but I think the confusion here is what you term "in the stadium" and "out of the stadium". I think if the concession stand is after you show your ticket and physically attached to the stadium then it's "in the stadium". To be honest, if the fact that they're out where the toilets are (which is the concrete ring that is very much part of the stadium) counts as "out of the stadium" then I don't think I've ever been to a stadium where they have any bars/refreshment stands as they have all tended to be away from the sight of the pitch (FA regulations, etc.) and thus all "out of the stadium".

If they wanted to have concerts in the stadium then all they would have to do is put a bar along the back of the main arena (as they do at Millenium Stadium and Wembley) and fill the, now presumably empty, pods with people selling beer and crisps. I stand by the fact that the reason it won't be in the stadium is they're getting it ready for the spammers.

Just seen this on Twitter. Apparently self-confirmed on Alan Titchmarsh. Whether they meant it or not, who knows.

Apparently Dean Piper said it's happening. RT @iamstevefarr is it true that the stones just self confirmed on the alan tichmarsh show?

Edit: Was apparently a Mirror columnist that said it's happening. Anyone know his track record?
Edited by Chris E

Ronnie Wood said earlier on this week the band aren't meeting up for a few weeks yet, anything a Mirror journo has to say will be based on speculation and rumour.

He's making that assumption based on probability - further down the line he'll claim he had the inside scoop if it comes off. If not it will be forgotten about and sweeped under the carpet

Just seen this on Twitter. Apparently self-confirmed on Alan Titchmarsh. Whether they meant it or not, who knows.

Apparently Dean Piper said it's happening. RT @iamstevefarr is it true that the stones just self confirmed on the alan tichmarsh show?

Edit: Was apparently a Mirror columnist that said it's happening. Anyone know his track record?

are you sure it wasn't the Alan Partridge Show?

Personally I'm gonna say that this year we will have Artic monkeys, Mumford and Sons and the stones as the headliners with Radiohead as back up. Next year stone roses and Fleetwood mac

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine just text saying he spoke to Ronnie last night at the NME awards about playing Glasto and got the same answer again - he wants to do it but its upto the rest of them! So it sounds like they're still undecided!

Asked about rumors the Stones could play at Glastonbury, one of the biggest European music festivals, for the first time in their long career, Wood replied:

"I want to do it badly, but I've no idea yet ... but I am just looking forward to. ... I know we're the best live, so I just hope we get it," he said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/02/28/us-britain-nmeawards-idUKBRE91R01A20130228

I'd rather he did it well though.

They're trolling Glasto for money. That's all it is about. It's all a case of who blinks first which probably puts G in an awful position as I'd say the Stones have the upper hand.

The more I read about their potential playing, the more I think this is the wrong way round. I think they're refusing to commit in case someone else makes them a really astonishing offer that they feel they can't turn down. In other words, it's about how much can they make from somewhere else and how that balances against playing Glasto and the selling of an extra million copies of their greatest hits. If playing Glasto affects the smooth running of a US tour (I know U2 got round this problem but maybe if they hadn't needed to they'd have performed better) then it might not be worth it to them but if they can make the UK and European leg work around June then all is fine.

All is fine anyway. They are going to do it, like it or not.

Edited by jimmyt

https://twitter.com/beingboycie/status/308201995053961216

If there is any substance to this and Bill Wyman is genuinely playing with his rhythm kings that surely makes the Stones more likely, plus I've heard really good things about BWRK so it's another good act on the bill.

woah.

Each day new information keeps coming in making the stones look much more likely!

So Boycie has insider knowledge on who is playing?

I thought that when I saw it but I can well imagine him being a drinking buddy of Bill Wyman. Keef drinks with Denzil, Charlie with Uncle Albert. Mick likes to share pina colada and a get-rich-quick scheme with Del Boy, I assume.

There's no way whatsoever that Radiohead are sitting off, twiddling their thumbs while simultaneously crossing their fingers and toes that the Stones aren't going to play, so that they get their big shot...

Radiohead would be asked as a main headliner, they wouldn't be anyone's stop gap. Add to the mix the fact that Thom Yorke is going to be doing dates with Atoms for Peace, that means no Radiohead live stuff. If the Stones don't play, the likely headliner would be a band that are genuinely needing that slot, so don't mind sloppy seconds. That's what makes me fucking worried about M*mford playing. For what it's worth, I reckon they're already set to sub the Stones and will step up to ruin people's Pyramid-based evening if the Stones back out.