Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

That was one of the most flat peformances I've ever heard from a band that are meant to be absolutely huge.

I'm sorry but not playing for five years is no excuse for a legendary band like that sounding this shoddy. Haven't they been in Paris practicing for the last month already? It doesn't sound like it.

Also, is that pre-recorded back vocals I can hear? Lovely.

That was one of the most flat peformances I've ever heard from a band that are meant to be absolutely huge.

I'm sorry but not playing for five years is no excuse for a legendary band like that sounding this shoddy. Haven't they been in Paris practicing for the last month already? It doesn't sound like it.

Also, is that pre-recorded back vocals I can hear? Lovely.

Sadly, I`d agree. Huge fan but this is in danger of turning into a car crash. Starting to look like a boxer going for that one last fight. Still wish i`d got a glasto ticket as you never know.....they could still pull it off.

Are we any closer to knowing if they will play Glast?

Doubt it. Bet they'll dangle it in front of Glasto's faces until the last minute. Wonder who'll blink first - either Glasto doing more fee than they normally would or Stones doing it for considerably less than they would play the O2 (minimum £105 a ticket for the very worst seats).

Or not do it at all of course.

well, that's one minute of a show recorded on some cheap mobile (phone?) equipment, played back through some crappy computer speakers, so it's be a bit harsh to judge them too much on that clip.

and why would the backing vocals be pre-recorded when they have backing singers?

Except I'm pretty sure the footage I just watched was with HD Camcorders rather than mobile phones and the sound sounded like it had been mixed from the soundboard but not cleaned up. I didn't bother watching the obvious fan footage - I was watching the video that the Stones had put on youtube.

As it was a video released by the Stones themselves (I believe), I hardly think they would be using the cheap equipment you are suggesting above. It seems that they had a HD camera at the back of the hall and another near the stage and maybe another further back to the right; all great quality video and 10/10 audio.

In any case, it wasn't the sound I was criticising - It was the level of performance, it was dull, lifeless and completely uninspired and that is something which I can tell however good the sound quality is. Mick was acting his best to be passionate about it but he failed and the whole thing sounded flat.

You're right it was only a minute and maybe a bit early to judge but the signs aren't looking good. I didn't see any backing singers when I first watched the video but there does seem to be someone behind the band on the Left who may be adding vocals.

Pretty sure they played satisfaction in Paris.

Yeah they always play it.

Latest stuff on the forums has the stones playing Slane castle next year - announcment tomorrow...Neil, any info?

Slane is shite venue. A nightmare to get to and home from, poorly organised and the bars/toilet situation is a disaster.

straight, untouched, sound board recordings generally sound quite flat.. no ambience mixed in, to help the live sound. Apart from Mick's hopeless singing, I thought the sound wasn't half bad. It wasn't stupidly fast like it often is.

Seems like Ronnie has finally been told to listen to the record and try and play what makes the song work instead of just farting about like he usually does... biggrin.png

Mick parodying himself again.

Ronnie is sober now which may help.

For people saying it sounds dreadful, thats pretty much as good as the Stones have sounded in 30 years! Anyone who paid £105 (or £400) and didn't know that needs their head checked.

Edited by The Nal

to you..

how would you describe Thom Yorke's (for example) stage antics?

I just wish he (Jagger) did something that approximated what most people call singing, as opposed to that odd 'barking' that he's developed over the years....

thom yorke is an incredible dancer apparently.....

http://www.thecmuwebsite.com/article/thom-yorkes-dancing-is-incredible-says-choreographer/

You could argue that for a lot of big outdoor venue's though. Hyde Park is shit, as is Heaton Park.

Slane is in the middle of the country side with shit roads to and from, with car parks miles away that take people 4-5 hours to get out of and a non existent after show promoter presence.

Last time I was there, there was a very serious crush when we were leaving and then we got in the cars and sat there for 4 hours with the engines off while the "staff" let all the buses fill up first and leave. And then they're sending you off driving at 4am down dark country roads, bollock tired. Ill never go again.

Gig is over, fuck off basically is the attitude.

my recollection of Slane is that it was a beautiful part of the world, ruined by Bryan Sh*tting Adams doing a set that seemed to last half the summer.

i attended in the company of a girl who loved Bryan Adams. we haven't spoken since. that was 12 years ago.

i hate Bryan Adams.

Edited by fatyeti24