Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Ok....so very casual fan here looking for some knol. This is the list of the songs that they may play at their O2 show. Which I'm sure Stones fans will salivate over....

http://www.nme.com/news/the-rolling-stones/66664

But as a casual fan, if they play Glasto am I likely to get to hear Sympathy for the Devil, Gimme Shelter, (I Can't Get no) Satisfaction, Brown Sugar and Jumping Jack Flash? Or are the Stones the kind of band that have such a big back catalogue they'll play and exclude what thet want?

Was pleased to see Wild Horses in there, I fricking love that song!

...hahaha someone on the NME site commented that if you buy a floor ticket then it works out about £17.50 a song.

Bordering on extortion. I thought radiohead was too much at £3.08 a song!

Way too much, but then some people have either more money than sense or are so rich they have entirely different values from the rest of us. :)

I just thank God we have Neil, the Guru, the all-seeing-eye to give us his dribbled opinion as fact to save the day.

Wow you're easy to wind up.

You need to grow up a bit.

Only child I'm guessing...

Two words - Pot, Kettle.

I've not got tickets yet, and assuming i do get some, I'm not too bothered if the Stones play, but i looked through this thread to see what people were saying. I'd like to point out that, in my opinion, the way you have taken it upon yourself to judge others based on simple facts such as their musical taste, and the way you have expressed your judgements, by flinging insults at them, are disgusting. You really ought to be thoroughly ashamed of yourself, and should apologise to those you've insulted, whilst hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

In my opinion (and this is just my opinion, no-one has to agree with me if they feel otherwise), one of the great things about any artistic pursuit, be it art, music, literature, sculpture or whatever, is that people have different tastes. this should be celebrated, not twisted into a reason for hatred.

Using Frank Turner as an example, seeing as he is an artist you clearly have an issue with, i'd like to offer two scenarios.

The first is how i think a conversation between two people at Glastonbury who don't know each other very well, and have different music tastes, ought to sound:

Person 1 - I thought i'd like to see Frank Turner this afternoon, what about you?

Person 2 - I'm not fussed with him, i think i'll head for another stage and see what's on.

Person 1 - Fair enough, hope you enjoy yourself.

Person 2 - You too, maybe see you later for another cider?

Person 1 - Yeah, perhaps. Bye then.

The other is how i think a conversation between you and me is more likely to sound.

Me - I thought I'd like to see Frank Turner this afternoon, what about you?

You - Frank Turner is shit, and if you like him i think you're a c**t who doesn't deserve to be at Glastonbury!

Now, I'm generally quite tolerant of people having different views to me on just about any subject, as long as they express their views in a reasonable way.

If I meet you at Glastonbury, and you judge me, or anyone else in anything like the way described above, you will have a pint of cider over your head very quickly.

Two words - Pot, Kettle.

I've not got tickets yet, and assuming i do get some, I'm not too bothered if the Stones play, but i looked through this thread to see what people were saying. I'd like to point out that, in my opinion, the way you have taken it upon yourself to judge others based on simple facts such as their musical taste, and the way you have expressed your judgements, by flinging insults at them, are disgusting. You really ought to be thoroughly ashamed of yourself, and should apologise to those you've insulted, whilst hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

In my opinion (and this is just my opinion, no-one has to agree with me if they feel otherwise), one of the great things about any artistic pursuit, be it art, music, literature, sculpture or whatever, is that people have different tastes. this should be celebrated, not twisted into a reason for hatred.

Using Frank Turner as an example, seeing as he is an artist you clearly have an issue with, i'd like to offer two scenarios.

The first is how i think a conversation between two people at Glastonbury who don't know each other very well, and have different music tastes, ought to sound:

Person 1 - I thought i'd like to see Frank Turner this afternoon, what about you?

Person 2 - I'm not fussed with him, i think i'll head for another stage and see what's on.

The other is how i think a conversation between you and me is more likely to sound.

You - Frank Turner is shit, and if you like him i think you're a c**t who doesn't deserve to be at Glastonbury!

Now, I'm generally quite tolerant of people having different views to me on just about any subject, as long as they express their views in a reasonable way.

If I meet you at Glastonbury, and you judge me, or anyone else in anything like the way described above, you will have a pint of cider over your head very quickly.

Couldnt have said it better myself, top post !

BTW this thread has become pure entertainment.

The best thing is the people who are butthurt trying to pretend that they aren't butthurt and that they're finding it amusing, when they're actually tring way to hard to convince people and they're just coming across as someone trying to pretend that they aren't butthurt.

Excellent post Mr Grumby

One of the charms of Glastonbury is that it is so diverse, it appeals to a wide spectrum of society.

I tend to stray away from the commerical music scene but my Mrs is into all that sort of thing so I find myself watching a few bands I ordinarily wouldnt at Glastonbury.....sometimes I come away pleasently surprised.

The best thing is the people who are butthurt trying to pretend that they aren't butthurt and that they're finding it amusing, when they're actually tring way to hard to convince people and they're just coming across as someone trying to pretend that they aren't butthurt.

butthurt?

that is a new one on me. it sounds horrifically American.

i'm not having a go at people who like to use American insults, but anyone who cannot appreciate the cultural relevance of a Great British insult simply does not deserve a ticket.

'Tis but a scratch...

It's just a flesh wound....

Come back here you yellow bast*rds, I'll bite ya legs off!!

Two words - Pot, Kettle.

Nicely put and I agree with most of it.

But if Arronbury gets a ticket, I reckon his bitterness (which having read this thread was giving rise to trolling hatred at times) will soon disappear. He may even accidentally stumble upon Frank Turner at some point over the fest! :lol:

That said he and his cohorts have certainly elicited plenty of responses from us all on here which after all is the objective of a troll, is it not?

butthurt?

i'm not having a go at people who like to use American insults, but anyone who cannot appreciate the cultural relevance of a Great British insult simply does not deserve a ticket.

I believe it to be against the Galstonbury ethos for suggesting that one is undeserving of a ticket for simply embracing the admittedly coarser and more rambunctous (although by jingo a damn sight more enthralling and dare I say it exciting to use) language of our colonial cousins, and that, while I apologise for what may appear to be an unnecessarily robust response, you yourself sir are undeserving of a ticket for making such an assertion towards myself.

In terms of setlists, if they do play I'd reckon that the following tunes are pretty much bolted on to be played, in that they've barely played a show over the last couple of decades without wheeling them out:

Satisfaction

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Start Me Up

Miss You

Honky Tonk Women

There's then a secondary tier of tracks which, while quite likely, aren't always nailed on. These would include the likes of:

Midnight Rambler

Paint It, Black

Ruby Tuesday

Street Fighting Man

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Plus or minus Gimme Shelter (and, recently for some bloody reason, You Got Me Rocking)

There's then a tertiary tier of tracks that appeal more to the fans and are varied at will to mix it up a bit:

Bitch

Wild Horses

Live With Me

All Down the Line

Angie

Respectable

Dead Flowers

Monkey Man

Finally, the odd real rarity like, say, Sway or Shine A Light and a couple of Keith-sung tracks to complete the setlist.

To my mind, the set at IOW was pitched more to a Stones audience than a festival crowd - hence, I saw the likes of Love in Vain and Can't You Hear Me Knocking for the first time, while the more casual punter was likely gutted that they didn't play Paint It, Black and Gimme Shelter. They even played a song from Undercover, FFS.

they should drop Sympathy (has there ever been a half-decent live version of it?)

Rock and Roll Circus is the only one I can think of.

I'd also add that the setlists are usually pitched more a 'Classic Albums Artist' than a 'Sixties Popstars' view of the band - hence you're usually more likely to hear an album track from Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers than a single that went to #1 in 1965.

Unfortunately. They have some cracking pre Beggars Banquet tunes that work well live. But maybe not in huge stadiums I suppose.

The Stones doing an early setlist in a tent is what we need!

butthurt?

What a load of baloney! Lighten up jerk.

Edited by The Nal

I'd definitely take hearing them do Get Off Of My Cloud or Let's Spend the Night Together over bloody Miss You again.

In terms of decent live versions of SFTD, the one on Ya Ya's is, for me, about as good as it gets. These days, though, it's a more keyboard and backing vocals-lead arrangement, presumably to give Keith a rest.

I'd definitely take hearing them do Get Off Of My Cloud or Let's Spend the Night Together over bloody Miss You again.

Id love to hear the earlier stuff even. Not Fade Away, Mercy Mercy, I'm Free etc.

In terms of decent live versions of SFTD, the one on Ya Ya's is, for me, about as good as it gets. These days, though, it's a more keyboard and backing vocals-lead arrangement, presumably to give Keith a rest.

Needs more congos these days! The keyboards and generic backing vocals make it sound so bland.

SFTD? Not good live? How very dare you.

Woo - woo,

Woo - woo,

Woo - woo,

Woo - woo,

Bog standard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3FjgjaLZM

yep... just had another look at it. Mick is rather magnificent in it. Is that piano over-dubbed?

The Ya-Ya's version just sounds limp to me, compared to the Beggars one. Keith's solo has one of my favourite Keith moments in it... just at the very end of the first solo, where just hits the strings with a loud 'WHOMP'!

I would imagine there was some overdubbing work done. They didn't release it until 1996 as Mick thought they were shit, and The Who blew them away. Brian Jones was on deaths doorstep at that point too. He was a mess. And Keith "was yellow" due to the amount of drugs he'd taken according to Pete Townshend.

Edited by The Nal