Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Didn't say anything about what prices they charged back then.

To try and compare the two is pretty pointless as times are so different, the question would be that if The Stones were twentysomethings now would they be whoring themsleves out to the degree that pop stars today do, or would they be just a standard band happy to accept average ticket prices and the like.

Sorry thought you meant they were accepting average prices back then.

No, just theorising as to whether, if they were a new band now, they'd be corporate whores or not.

Ah get you. No. I don't think they would be. they came from a love of blues. Music lovers first.

In a time where no one's selling any records any more, most bands have to submit to commercial activities that they might have looked askance at in, say, the 1970s.

Lydon/butter being a great example. And he used the money to get the band back recording, rehearsing and back on the road and hes playing some of the best gigs you can see out there at the moment and just released a great new record.

Don't hear a mention of champagne, bitches or gold chains anywhere from him!

I suppose, Beyonce needs to flog a load of old shite to make money to pay for her entourages diamond encrusted jackets and the like.

How many people did she bring to Glasto? 50 or 60 or something? Bit excessive for someone that sings about 20% of her set.

Regarding Beyonce and Jay-Z - they're worth close to a billion dollars.

Edited by The Nal

In a time where no one's selling any records any more, most bands have to submit to commercial activities that they might have looked askance at in, say, the 1970s.

Yeah that's obvious, but some do it with more gusto and with less shame than others.

Edited by mrtourette

As for Beyonce et al yes it is largely sickening but they're only continuing what The Stones and The Beatles were doing back in the sixties, taking it as far as society will deem acceptable. It wasn't as 'bad' decades ago because there wasn't the infrustructure there to tie in as much as they do now, to reach such a wide audeince with so many products or for people to be so willing to lap it up. Nor was there such a backlash against that sort of thing. So while the desire to promote oneself mainfests itself in different ways over time (gradually becoming more and more garish and unabashed) the motivation and lack of shame behind it has pretty much been the same throughout history.

A very good point. You could make a case that the only difference between the 60's and today is the sophistication of the marketing. I remember eating out of a Beatles cereal bowl. In fact, I think my mum's still got it!

Kev

ahh, so what you're saying is that some shows are shows where the quality of the content is of no matter. It can be shit and you don't care. Yep, that's what I've heard of the stones, and of stones fans.

If I wanted to go and see a shit band I've got thousands to chose from, not just the stones. smile.png

As I tried to get across to Arronbury, I don't do shit bands - apart from, perhaps, the odd shit band that I love as much as you love the stones. When that happens I know they're shit and I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion of them as me.

I don't know who you are or what superior ability you claim permitting you to refer to my taste in music as 'shit bands'. You say you have 'heard' about the Stones and their fans, suggesting you have never seen them. I hope I am totally wrong but from what you say and from the frequent comments you make on here I see you as a lonely little guy, sitting in your lonely little room, spending your lonely little day checking out rumours and knocking bands you haven't even seen. Your grading system for rumours, which someone lauded yesterday, includes SR, does that stand for Stone Roses? I don't want to wave a big stick but I do actually have a pedigree in the music industry having introduced one of the world's major rock stars and having worked with bands from the sixties, through the new wave/punk era to the present day. What have you ever done?

Not being rude, only asking, and I'm sure all your fans on here would love to know who they are talking to.

A very good point. You could make a case that the only difference between the 60's and today is the sophistication of the marketing. I remember eating out of a Beatles cereal bowl. In fact, I think my mum's still got it!

Kev

If the Beatles started put "cereal" lyrics into Ticket to Ride or something you may have a point.

By the way, get that bowl back!

I don't know who you are or what superior ability you claim permitting you to refer to my taste in music as 'shit bands'. You say you have 'heard' about the Stones and their fans, suggesting you have never seen them. I hope I am totally wrong but from what you say and from the frequent comments you make on here I see you as a lonely little guy, sitting in your lonely little room, spending your lonely little day checking out rumours and knocking bands you haven't even seen. Your grading system for rumours, which someone lauded yesterday, includes SR, does that stand for Stone Roses? I don't want to wave a big stick but I do actually have a pedigree in the music industry having introduced one of the world's major rock stars and having worked with bands from the sixties, through the new wave/punk era to the present day. What have you ever done?

Not being rude, only asking, and I'm sure all your fans on here would love to know who they are talking to.

I've seen the stones and they were appalling.

Hope this helps.

except you clearly do want to wave a big stick. We're all very impressed....

Edited by SonOfTroyMcClure

If the Beatles started put "cereal" lyrics into Ticket to Ride or something you may have a point.

By the way, get that bowl back!

Not going to do much good to get it back now. It was well used. Paul McCartney's young face has been so abused by spoons it looks scarily similar to todays version.

Kev

For me, it's about what motivates an artist. I have a feeling that if Beyonce had to spend a few years sleeping in toilets in Hamburg, or trundling up and down motorways stuffed in the back of a small van on top of her equipment , she might have chosen a different career... .

I could be wrong.. .

You're not wrong. Her Dad is a record industry heavy. Shes always been comfortable.

I don't know who you are or what superior ability you claim permitting you to refer to my taste in music as 'shit bands'. You say you have 'heard' about the Stones and their fans, suggesting you have never seen them.

:rolleyes

I've said I've not seen them, and that I'll go and see them. But I've also said that I don't expect to stay because I've heard more than enough reports from stones fans (and others) to know that they're not much thought of as a band nowadays. I'd prefer to see a good band to a famous band, and they'll definitely be a good band else where at the same time.

My apologies for having such an outrageous opinion, based on what many stones fans say themselves, and the opportunities open to me at a wonderful place like Glasto.

I hope I am totally wrong but from what you say and from the frequent comments you make on here I see you as a lonely little guy, sitting in your lonely little room, spending your lonely little day checking out rumours and knocking bands you haven't even seen.

?

Your grading system for rumours, which someone lauded yesterday, includes SR, does that stand for Stone Roses?

Your acumen is outstanding.

I don't want to wave a big stick but I do actually have a pedigree in the music industry having introduced one of the world's major rock stars and having worked with bands from the sixties, through the new wave/punk era to the present day. What have you ever done?

Me? I started a website out of love for Glastonbury, and by chance I find myself here. What of it?

Whatever you might have done, you've not learnt that you can't talk someone into liking something they won't like, have you? Neither have you learnt that your own tastes mean naff all against someone else's.

Wow you take yourself a little too seriously. This is a light hearted forum that people come to discuss festivals and music. Some people have different opinions on different bands/type of music.

This site provides a lot of useful information as well as having the most active forums for festival fans, that a lot of people use regular. Every year this site proves time and time again that it has the most reliable information for bands playing festivals before the official line up is released. A lot of the other festival sites as well as mainstream music websites have used information collected from either this site or these forums. That's not me blowing anyone's trumpet, that's just the truth

If you are just a troll congratulations for getting a response.

I am suspicious about these whoppers who are directing personal insults towards neil.

Could they be those nobheads that occasionally come over here from that other festival messageboard? Cringeworthy stuff if so.

If they are - hope they dont stop. Done bugger all work today keeping up with reading this thread and Neil is clearly enjoying it.

Are you arronbury's twin brother ?