Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

unlikely.

Branson only has a minor stake in V Fest, it's mostly owned by two of the UK's biggest independent promoters (SJM, & Metropolis). Neither of those promoters are involved in Beardy's Stones doings as far as I'm aware.

So are Virgin getting into promoting now or is this a one off? Would this not give more of a chance of V getting the Stones regardless of Virgin/Branson's stake in the festival. It's win, win for him if they have agreed to be an exclusive promoter? V ticket sales and Stones fee. If Jagger is all about the dollar and they do a festival, V will no doubt be the highest bidder anyway?

One day all the old bands will be dead. tongue.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

To be replaced by a new fleet of 'legends' (shysters). In 50 years time people will be begging for The Vaccines and TDCC to drag their wrinkly arses onto a stage and shuffle around a bit just so they can say that they've seen them, and they'll be happy to do it if it promotes a new greatest hits (with two new songs of course) album.

I've been a music photographer at certain points in my life and have been up close (in the pit) for literally everyone apart from David Bowie, Led Zep and Michael Jackson. Seen the stones 5 times or so and have to say, no other show I've been to comes close. I'm not talking about best guitarist, pitch perfect vocals etc. I mean THE SHOW. The buzz of the crowd, the hype on tv/radio for the build up, the introduction as they appear on stage and that feeling as you get your first glimpse, as though these God-like party animals that are the thing of legend arrive, as though they've just beamed down from a spaceship. Keith's smirk, Mick's strut, a backing band of Angels and demons collide in perfect harmony. Not to mention Lisa Fisher who is in my opinion the greatest vocalist ever and sooo smoking hot.

You go to a festival, then you go to glasto.

You go to a gig, then you go to a stones gig.

Having said that (after 15 glastos, 10 of which as a photographer) I do not think they would work at Glasto. I thought their iow performance was the weakest performance of the bigger bang tour (from the tv coverage) and don't think it would work. I might be wrong.

they were shit at the isle of wight. Like, really shit

I'm prepared to pay £31 to see them again as the booking fee is what the ticket price should be.

Saw them on quite a few occasions during the 70's & 80's but they had become shit by mid 80's. No longer current - can only be described as a tribute band.

However there is one precedent for lower ticket prices - Knebworth '76. The stones shows at Earls Court got really bad reviews due to the phased sound system that they used. So they played Knebworth to say sorry. So they must have reduced their fee there - although rumoured to have been 200,000 there.

I cannot get excited about seeing a band that has done nothing of any musical worth for over 30 years (arguably their last decent album was Some Girls) and whose creative peak was passed in 1973. They're a pastiche of themselves. However much I might like Exile or Beggars, they're tired old has beens and, in my opinion, beneath contempt

Their rehearsal setlist apparently is:

October 11:

• Miss you
  • IORR
  • Tumbling Dice
  • You Got Me Rocking
  • Let It Bleed
  • Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay
  • Respectable
  • Far Away Eyes
  • Doom And Gloom
  • Paint It Black
  • I Wanna Be Your Man
  • Not Fade Away
  • Brown Sugar
  • If You Can't Rock Me
  • Some Girls

October 12

• Bitch
  • All Down The Line
  • Rocks Off
  • Dead Flowers
  • Last Time
  • Honky Tonk Women
  • Going To A Gogo
  • Lady Jane
  • Doom & Gloom
  • One More Shot
  • Shine A Light
  • YCAGWYW
  • Happy

Edited by 5co77ie

I've not done Bowie, Zep or Jackson, but i've done more than a few in my own time.

And fuck all of that hype and fluff and pink cats bollocks. The question that I want to know and the only question which matters is: can they play good?

And sadly, too few of the biggest bands can. Most are where they are thru marketing and not talent.

(I'm not saying that necessarily applies with the stones btw. Once upon a time they might have been good; nearly everything says they're not now).

I think you'd be best suited seeing the London Philharmonic if that's your attitude.

A Stones gig is a party with great songs, fond memories and happy people. 10-100 thousand people screaming every word to every song with tears streaming down their cheeks for 2 hours they will never forget.

So in answer to your question is it's hard to take yourself out of that incredible moment, ask those around to keep their voices down, and sit and analyize a truely multi-sensory stimulating experience based on the audio output of 4 of the 20 or so performers on stage.

If that's your idea of a fun night out then no, you probably wouldn't enjoy it. Bit more of a -hug the sweaty stranger next to you while you both stand back in awe of the greatest live act in history- kind of evening.

I know U2 had a bigger grossing tour but for the history and cultural importance surrounding these mythical creatures it's a no brainer... Greatest show ever and last few chances to see it. Ticket prices are fair.

I'd rather see mumford & sons or the vaccines headline than the stones.

(wouldnt be there to see them, mind!)

Then you shouldn't have a ticket.

I or one of the hundreds on here who failed to get lucky last Sunday should have your place.

Ignorant fools like yourself make me angry.

What a waste.

I cannot get excited about seeing a band that has done nothing of any musical worth for over 30 years (arguably their last decent album was Some Girls) and whose creative peak was passed in 1973. They're a pastiche of themselves. However much I might like Exile or Beggars, they're tired old has beens and, in my opinion, beneath contempt

Then I envy your life where you have time to go online for a discussion on a thread you apparently don't care about.

Unemployed, lottery winner or a poor confused soul?

Then I envy your life where you have time to go online for a discussion on a thread you apparently don't care about.

Unemployed, lottery winner or a poor confused soul?

Sorry, I hadn't realised I could only post in here if I was excited about seeing the Stones - please point me to the rules I must have missed when I came in

attending a gig in the photographers pit is a very different experience to what most people have.

I've been to Stones shows where plenty of people have been disappointed by them....

in fact, I've never experienced more disappointment (personally, and from others) than at Stones gigs

Stones: I've always been in the crowd. Never a photographer for them. Last time they played Cardiff I felt it was sub standard for them for reasons beyond their control but every London gig has been spot on. From the months of build up right up to the last bow. Pure perfection.

You all claim to be live music fans...

These are the founding fathers of modern Live Performance Art.

Show some respect!

Edited by Arronbury

Just listened to Keith Richards on BBC 6 Music on this clip http://audioboo.fm/boos/1007977

When asked about the possibility of playing Glastonbury next year he says "well on a good day, if the weather's fine, that's an interesting proposition. But it's early days yet. I think that the band want to get these four gigs under their belt and then think about next year after that, but anything's possible with this band".