Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

I was lucky enough to see the Stones at the Don Valley stadium in 1999.

I love the Stones but I'm not a major fan or anything, however I have to say that this was one of the best gigs I've ever been to (and I've been to quite a few). Everyone in the crowd were up for a party and we certainly gone one. My mates mum, 60+ at the time, lost both her shoes down at the front of the stage whilst trying to get her knickers off to throw at Mick.

I've seen them again since in a seated stadium and it just wasn't the same vibe. I feel that seeing them playing in a field in Pilton will be similar to my first experience. Too bad I'm still need a ticket !

I have a bit of trouble believing the story about those o2 dates in November. If it were true I'd have thought that the shows would have been announced quite a while ago now and the tickets long been sold.

I guess it'll get proven one way or the other before Monday.

Seems like too little advance notice - they'd ordinarily have a press conference first to announce the commencement of live activity.

I'm out the country, so am going to miss out regardless.

Encouraged by the good word on Doom & Gloom, though stuck in work and can't hear it until I get home....

Given the Glasto crowd perhaps getting a bit younger these days as per ME wishes and their (assumed) preference for acts more within their era, accompanied by the Stones evident likelihood of selling out some huge UK shows where perhaps hardened Stones fans may prefer to see them (due to playing longer sets maybe?). What if any impact do you think this will have on Glasto sales/returns etc?

Did U2 play any other big UK gigs other than Glasto in 2011 to tempt away the masses?

Not really sure what I'm going on about really, just hoping for my chances of resale tickets to increase one way or another

Given the Glasto crowd perhaps getting a bit younger these days as per ME wishes and their (assumed) preference for acts more within their era, accompanied by the Stones evident likelihood of selling out some huge UK shows where perhaps hardened Stones fans may prefer to see them (due to playing longer sets maybe?). What if any impact do you think this will have on Glasto sales/returns etc?

Did U2 play any other big UK gigs other than Glasto in 2011 to tempt away the masses?

Not really sure what I'm going on about really, just hoping for my chances of resale tickets to increase one way or another

If the Stones are announced as playing it'll be even worse trying to get a ticket I reckon.

Not linking to The Sun to bump up their page hits, but they have an article today claiming that Eavis is'close' to booking the Stones.

It doesn't seem substantiated by anything and is probably just based on guesswork, but it still doesn't diminish the fact that both sides seem to be flirting with each other.

I think the key would be what sort of set they would do? If they, like U2, play a stripped down set without all the other guff that accompanies a massive tour (which they would probably have to to fit on the Pyramid Stage), then I suspect every Stones fan, like every U2 fan, would want to be there because these bands do not play those sort of stripped down sets any more.

I think the key would be what sort of set they would do? If they, like U2, play a stripped down set without all the other guff that accompanies a massive tour (which they would probably have to to fit on the Pyramid Stage), then I suspect every Stones fan, like every U2 fan, would want to be there because these bands do not play those sort of stripped down sets any more.

Is it possible for one band to dominate the set up of the Pyramid stage given that 2 other big names headline also?

Tickets on sale this weekend?

http://www.showbiz41...ale-this-weeken

This bit doesn't bode well for Eavis' chances

"So what’s been the delay? Money, money, money. The Stones want it. Richard Branson is putting up $25 million to make all this happen with the concert promoter Paul Dainty."

This lark with The Sun saying they're "nearly booked"...wouldn't the headliners already be booked by now? I reckon they're already sorted.

the headliners only get sorted when they can get sorted.

Beyonce wasn't sorted until just before xmas last year.

Stevie Wonder wasn't sorted until late January/early Feb the year before.

Both of those were sorted so late because the acts that Eavis had lined up to headline in front of them didn't happen ... and in the case of Stevie Wonder, guess who the band was that Eavis was keeping his fingers crossed for?

I can imagine that putting together a touring schedule for any reasonable sized band is a far harder job than most people think, because although a band might think "let's go on tour in March" (say), whether they can actually do that is dependent on the venues they want to play being available, and available on suitable dates so the band doesn't have to keep travelling from one end of the country to the other.

When it comes to the sorts of bands which headline fests it probably gets even harder, because from the bands side they'd like all of the offers before them so they can pick what they think are the best (in exposure, as well as money, as well as ease of touring), while the people who are making the offers will be wanting a yes or no asap so they can move onto their next choice as quickly as possible if the answer is no. Add in the sorts of restrictive clauses that tend to be pretty standard for the biggest bands (because promoters want to protect their investment in that band) and things get even more awkward.

And with The Stones, they do things at their own speed and not anyone else's. If you're not prepared to wait and hope they'll say yes, then the answer is a certain no.

I don't believe that The Stones are firmly booked yet, and I doubt they will be until near the end of the year or early next year if they get booked at all. And I still think that there's a greater chance of them saying 'no' than 'yes', because Jagger is not the sort of man who believes in doing shows on the cheap (which a show at Glastonbury would be).

Edited by eFestivals