Bearded Theory 2013

Guest Flounder

First acts announced for Bearded Theory

The award winning Bearded Theory Festival is back in the country estate at Kedleston Hall nr Derby, for 2013 and has just announced its first wave of acts. Tickets for the event are priced £79 adults, £10 6-12 yrs, 13-16 £40 and £230 for a family ticket. 5 & under are free.

Acts confirmed for Tornado Town are..

Maroon Town – Friday headliners. One of the best dance ska bands on the circuit – recently headlined the London International Ska Festival . This nine-piece explosion of ska, rap and brassy dub is tearing up audiences around the world. Tens of thousands of people from Brazil to Jamaica, India to Canada, from Tajikistan to here in the UK will vouch for that.

Buster Shuffle – fresh ska band making a big impression on the scene – already played over Europe and are support on Dropkick Murphys tour

Left Step Band – Initially conceived as the producer/MC duo of Nikolai (formerly of UK ska punk stalwarts King Prawn) and Eff le Ref LSB immediately set their stall out with the aim of confounding expectations and moving away from the traditional hip hop formulas being peddled around the scene. They sought to distance themselves from what was going on around them and bring to bear their diverse collective influences. A love of reggae, dub and old skool ska are all evident in the band's sound, from the Jerry Dammers-esque keyboards of 'Rebels of the Frontline' to the shuffling, laid back beats of 'The Deep End' LSB skilfully navigate three or four decades of musical heritage, wrapping it up into one delicious, bombastic, package.

Port Erin – initially an indie three piece, PE have incorporated a brass section, developing a larger sound and catching the ear of producers at Peter Gabriels One World Studio. This has led to their new album being produced there and mastered in the states – one to watch

The Membranes – John Robbs post punk outfit – capturing the feel of the 80’s independent music scene

The Boot Hill All Stars – Tornado Town House Band, think twangy guitars, banjo’s, ladies in feathers, driving drums & bass and you’re a fraction of the way there!!

Bootscraper – one a a new breed of bluegrass/folk punk bands coming from the Northwest – Banjos, voices that could sandpaper your skirting and belting bluegrass fury

The Bakseats – featuring ex-The Sea frontman Sam, The Bakseats hail from Bath and are quickly building up a good following with their folky/roots sound

Frenzy – Psychobilly giants who were around back in the day and are still going strong. Fronted by arguable the foremost slap-bass player in the world, Frenzy have been touring multi-nationally for the last few years, with possibly one of the best live performances on the circuit.

Sunday Driver - (Sunday Driver) are working out their own brand of fusion — the guitar, tabla, harp, clarinet and sitar all jostle for attention against a backdrop of ornate, Sgt Pepperish Victoriana. The songs manage to be both literate and tuneful...A band to watch, without question’

THE SUNDAY TIMES

"The Mutiny is as beautiful and dangerous as a Bengal tiger caught by the tail....an album that can work on so many levels because there are so many aspects to it" - Fatea

Basically, if you haven’t yet then do.

Edited by Flounder

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! A bit more info..

Next lot of acts for Tornado Town

The Zen Hussies - classy Swing from Bristols festival veterans

The Caezars - "Vintage styled Surf-Rock & Rock'n'Roll that Tarantino would be proud of"- Timeout Magazine

Tankus The Henge - one of 2011's " top artists to see at Glastonbury" - PRS

The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing - Steampunk feat. Andy Heintz ( ex Creaming Jesus) and comedian Andrew O'Neil. Already commanding a great deal of interest both on these shores and in the USA.

Gallon Drunk - headlining Sunday - classic veteran, dirty rock n roll

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome. great work BT, Asian Dub - fantastic. cant wait. The adding of a comedy / caberet tent too, brilliant. really made my day that has biggrin.png

Well that's ...fairly good biggrin.png Might have to look into going bearded theory next year now:D

Edited by Perks

• 5 weeks later...

We wont be going next year due to the imminent arrival of a bairn in February, but it looks like we chose the right year to miss BT. Massively underwhelming line up - virtually nothing that garbs my interest. Seems to be mostly made up of the routine festival standards (Levs, ADF etc) which I cant get excited about and a smattering of old school has beens. I would quite like to have seen Gallon Drunk though....

We wont be going next year due to the imminent arrival of a bairn in February, but it looks like we chose the right year to miss BT. Massively underwhelming line up - virtually nothing that garbs my interest. Seems to be mostly made up of the routine festival standards (Levs, ADF etc) which I cant get excited about and a smattering of old school has beens. I would quite like to have seen Gallon Drunk though....

Edited by si_t

Edited by Rich BT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh yes! New Model Army!!!! Deposit paid! :)

BTW, if anyone else is thinking of booking tickets, Quay Tickets site doesn't appear to be working properly - will only let you go so far! Managed to get tickets in the end via the Bearded Theory website. :)