Things that annoy you ?

Barry Fish

Skint again because I've been off work due to sickness...tried top make it in a couple of nights back and just blew chunks all over the place as soon as I got there. Had to cancel my efests membership this morning because the money won't be there for the payment :(

I've had about enough of being ill now.

Whats wrong with you ?

Ongoing stomach problems, ear-infection, eyelid infection, 2 sets of fungal infections, tonsilitis, liver damage and depression. Most things supposedly should be treatable, but it'll take time and the doctor's said I'm not fit to work at all, let alone handle a full-time degree involving 5-8 hour lab sessions.

Ongoing stomach problems, ear-infection, eyelid infection, 2 sets of fungal infections, tonsilitis, liver damage and depression. Most things supposedly should be treatable, but it'll take time and the doctor's said I'm not fit to work at all, let alone handle a full-time degree involving 5-8 hour lab sessions.

Sounds nasty... I presume you can't walk far if you are going for DLA ?

Sounds nasty... I presume you can't walk far if you are going for DLA ?

Depends on the day and how bad the symptoms are. The main issue in terms of walking is the ear infection causing balance problems, although if the latest set of treatment goes well it should clear up in a couple of months. It's long-term ill-health rather than having a traditional walking disability though, my legs are fine.

Depends on the day and how bad the symptoms are. The main issue in terms of walking is the ear infection causing balance problems, although if the latest set of treatment goes well it should clear up in a couple of months. It's long-term ill-health rather than having a traditional walking disability though, my legs are fine.

I doubt your going to get DLA for an ear infection... Its for people with serious conditions stopping them from walking any great distance and requiring assistance with living.

Edited by Barry Fish

I doubt your going to get DLA for an ear infection... Its for people with serious conditions stopping them from walking any great distance and requiring assistance with living.

No, you can get it for long-term health conditions that prevent you from working. I'm not eligible for JSA because I've been told by the doctor I SHOULDN'T look for work and I need to pay rent, find food, etc.

No, you can get it for long-term health conditions that prevent you from working. I'm not eligible for JSA because I've been told by the doctor I SHOULDN'T look for work and I need to pay rent, find food, etc.

Are you sure ?? My mate gets DLA and he is seriously disabled... The government website wording would suggest you are wrong.

https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-living-allowance-benefit/eligibility

Usually, to qualify for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults you must:

• have been aged 16 to 64 on 8 April 2013
  • have made your claim before 10 June 2013
  • need help looking after yourself and or have walking difficulties (see below)

I think you should be looking at this instead.....

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

You may get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if your illness or disability affects your ability to work and you’re:

• under State Pension age
  • not getting Statutory Sick Pay or Statutory Maternity Pay and you haven’t gone back to work
  • not getting Jobseeker’s Allowance

You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed, unemployed or a student on Disability Living Allowance.

You may get ESA if you’ve lived or work abroad and paid enough National Insurance (UK or equivalent).

Edited by Barry Fish

Are you sure ?? My mate gets DLA and he is seriously disabled... The government website wording would suggest you are wrong.

https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-living-allowance-benefit/eligibility

Usually, to qualify for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults you must:

• have been aged 16 to 64 on 8 April 2013
  • have made your claim before 10 June 2013
  • need help looking after yourself and or have walking difficulties (see below)

I think you should be looking at this instead.....

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

You may get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if your illness or disability affects your ability to work and you’re:

• under State Pension age
  • not getting Statutory Sick Pay or Statutory Maternity Pay and you haven’t gone back to work
  • not getting Jobseeker’s Allowance

You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed, unemployed or a student on Disability Living Allowance.

You may get ESA if you’ve lived or work abroad and paid enough National Insurance (UK or equivalent).

I didn't know which acronym, but I'm definitely able to get one for having long-term health that prevents me from working.

I didn't know which acronym, but I'm definitely able to get one for having long-term health that prevents me from working.

what you mean is ... in theory you are.

A quick look around at what the real life experience is of people who are trying to claim these sorts of benefits gets to see the terminally-ill-about-to-die being declared fit to work, and all the way downwards.

I wish you the best of luck with any deserved claim but I do think you shouldn't go thinking that you will automatically get it, from the things I have read.

what you mean is ... in theory you are.

A quick look around at what the real life experience is of people who are trying to claim these sorts of benefits gets to see the terminally-ill-about-to-die being declared fit to work, and all the way downwards.

I wish you the best of luck with any deserved claim but I do think you shouldn't go thinking that you will automatically get it, from the things I have read.

Yes. I'm aware that IDS is trying to target and bully everyone and that it'll involve a fuckton of hoop-jumping. I'm not expecting to just go in, fill out a form and have it dealt with nice and easily.

It's Personal Independence Payment now, for long term health conditions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/simplifying-the-welfare-system-and-making-sure-work-pays/supporting-pages/introducing-personal-independence-payment

you mentioned depression, it might be worth contacting mental health charities for advice about claiming - I used to work for MIND, and the volunteers there would help people complete the DLA forms.

Or ESA -

https://test.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/money-issues-benefits-employment/welfare-benefits-and-mental-illness/types-available#ESA

I'm really sorry that you're having to drop out of uni, and that you're so ill at the moment. Hopefully when you're better, you'll be able to return, I hope you've spoken to them to explain, and explore your options.

Best wishes, I hope things get better for you xx

PS Take no notice of Barry, he's not privy to how you're feeling :)

Edited by feral chile

It's Personal Independence Payment now, for long term health conditions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/simplifying-the-welfare-system-and-making-sure-work-pays/supporting-pages/introducing-personal-independence-payment

you mentioned depression, it might be worth contacting mental health charities for advice about claiming - I used to work for MIND, and the volunteers there would help people complete the DLA forms.

Or ESA -

https://test.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/money-issues-benefits-employment/welfare-benefits-and-mental-illness/types-available#ESA

I'm really sorry that you're having to drop out of uni, and that you're so ill at the moment. Hopefully when you're better, you'll be able to return, I hope you've spoken to them to explain, and explore your options.

Best wishes, I hope things get better for you xx

PS Take no notice of Barry, he's not privy to how you're feeling :)

Cheers feral, that's really helpful. I've been discussing stuff with them a lot, and am trying to ensure that I can go back once my health improves and all this crap clears up.

I have chronic pancreatitis (among other conditions, as a result of a condition for which there is no cure, no medication to assist, I point to the pancreatitis because that's the one that is likely to put an end to me first). A condition that sees me unable to work when it flares up (about once every 4-8 weeks, lasting about a week) and I can't work or earn. I also can't get any help at all, which results in every penny I earn when I am working going on rent arrears. I don't work enough hours for tax credits but earn too much for housing benefit.

When I have sought help I have faced attitudes like yours Barry. People who think they can make or deny a medical diagnosis on the basis of their own opinions, rather than any medical knowledge. People who sneer and belittle, people who go out of their way to make you feel shit. I had years of fighting with pissy small minded managers at work, who felt that they could "punish me better" with disciplinary action, as if I was only ill out of convenience to myself. People who drove me to the verge of suicide at my lowest.

You might think your playground bully attitude is funny. It is not. Long term sickness saps the soul, it affects every aspect of your thought, your perception, making you see no hope, no future that isn't like today but worse.

I had the misfortune of getting sick just at the point that attitudes like this were becoming common (because the fucking sheep who parrot them do not realise they have been led to this attitude by a media and government with an agenda). I have had people send me hateful messages by text and social media, trying to tell me I am not ill and a skiver, those same people peddling lies about me to all and sundry. I am sick of attitudes like yours, motivated by hatred, resentment and jealousy and dressed up in the language of the snide.

• Upvote 1

I have chronic pancreatitis (among other conditions, as a result of a condition for which there is no cure, no medication to assist, I point to the pancreatitis because that's the one that is likely to put an end to me first). A condition that sees me unable to work when it flares up (about once every 4-8 weeks, lasting about a week) and I can't work or earn. I also can't get any help at all, which results in every penny I earn when I am working going on rent arrears. I don't work enough hours for tax credits but earn too much for housing benefit.

When I have sought help I have faced attitudes like yours Barry. People who think they can make or deny a medical diagnosis on the basis of their own opinions, rather than any medical knowledge. People who sneer and belittle, people who go out of their way to make you feel shit. I had years of fighting with pissy small minded managers at work, who felt that they could "punish me better" with disciplinary action, as if I was only ill out of convenience to myself. People who drove me to the verge of suicide at my lowest.

You might think your playground bully attitude is funny. It is not. Long term sickness saps the soul, it affects every aspect of your thought, your perception, making you see no hope, no future that isn't like today but worse.

I had the misfortune of getting sick just at the point that attitudes like this were becoming common (because the fucking sheep who parrot them do not realise they have been led to this attitude by a media and government with an agenda). I have had people send me hateful messages by text and social media, trying to tell me I am not ill and a skiver, those same people peddling lies about me to all and sundry. I am sick of attitudes like yours, motivated by hatred, resentment and jealousy and dressed up in the language of the snide.

I presume this is in response to the throw away comment I made about an ear infection ? Grow up and grow a set of balls ffs :P It was very clearly a joke :)

You have obviously chosen to ignore the post where I offered sympathy... A rare event for me... and the post where I tried to be helpful and point out he might be after the wrong support... If you have a problem with something I said its helpful to actually quote the post :)

I have no problem with anyone getting what they are entitled to!!! Specially the long term sick and people in need.

Edited by Barry Fish

I had years of fighting with pissy small minded managers at work, who felt that they could "punish me better" with disciplinary action, as if I was only ill out of convenience to myself.

Surely its an issue of a capability though ? If you are constantly unable to work and perform the tasks then they have to look at if you are actually employable ?

I think the problem is that companies handle long term sick through the "disciplinary" system which obviously is piss poor way to phrase it.

Edited by Barry Fish

I presume this is in response to the throw away comment I made about an ear infection ? Grow up and grow a set of balls ffs :P It was very clearly a joke :)

I was reacting to every post you ever make Barry. You try to portray your petty bigotries as 'humour'. I'll ask you to grow a pair of balls when you are facing a condition that comes with only one conclusion.

You fail to understand that it is attitudes like yours that make it hardest of all for those who are sick. Every day having to hear people coming out with this kind of bullshit. You have zero idea of what Mark is going through and you clearly have no understanding of depression and how it colours your life, your every thought and how it is impacted by long term illness, instead you snipe with pissy comments.

I've been sick for 3 years now with a condition with an expectancy of 7. I'm sure that eventually I'll be so sick that I can't do anything at all, but until then I'll have to keep on working, keep on paying off the arrears that build every time I'm sick, all so people like you can feel smug that they are helping the workers and punishing the shirkers.

Grow some balls? Fuck you you little bitch. Try a few miles in my shoes.

I was reacting to every post you ever make Barry. You try to portray your petty bigotries as 'humour'. I'll ask you to grow a pair of balls when you are facing a condition that comes with only one conclusion.

You fail to understand that it is attitudes like yours that make it hardest of all for those who are sick. Every day having to hear people coming out with this kind of bullshit. You have zero idea of what Mark is going through and you clearly have no understanding of depression and how it colours your life, your every thought and how it is impacted by long term illness, instead you snipe with pissy comments.

I've been sick for 3 years now with a condition with an expectancy of 7. I'm sure that eventually I'll be so sick that I can't do anything at all, but until then I'll have to keep on working, keep on paying off the arrears that build every time I'm sick, all so people like you can feel smug that they are helping the workers and punishing the shirkers.

Grow some balls? Fuck you you little bitch. Try a few miles in my shoes.

ha ha

You are getting all angry without actually anything to be angry about.... I think "Mark" should get support. So I don't actually know what you are angry about. *Shrugs*

You saying having to listen to people come out with this kind of bullshit. What kind of bullshit ? Other than one joke I can't work out what you are on about.

Maybe if you stop raging for a second and engaged your brain you would realise you are raging without a reason ?

Edited by Barry Fish