Barry Fish

Things that annoy you ?

I got a new phone number when i moved house earlier this year, and I get endless calls to it from (real people) cold callers.

They ask for one of a small number of names (obviously names connected with the number in the past), and sometimes I pretend to be that person. Many of the calls are from fraudsters who are trying to trick 'me' into giving them 'my' credit card numbers, or to install a virus on my computer.

And then there's the more-normal "our records show you've been mis-sold PPI" and the like.

w*nkers.

I got a new phone number when i moved house earlier this year, and I get endless calls to it from (real people) cold callers.

They ask for one of a small number of names (obviously names connected with the number in the past), and sometimes I pretend to be that person. Many of the calls are from fraudsters who are trying to trick 'me' into giving them 'my' credit card numbers, or to install a virus on my computer.

And then there's the more-normal "our records show you've been mis-sold PPI" and the like.

w*nkers.

I hate cold callers. I always find myself being polite to them even though I'd actually love to be telling them to fuck off.

I hate cold callers. I always find myself being polite to them even though I'd actually love to be telling them to fuck off.

Oh, I have no problem telling them to fuck off. smile.png

But sometimes - particularly with these fraudsters - it's fun to play with them first. Like the guy who was trying to infect my PC with a virus (under the guise of "I'm from the govt Computer Service Centre, and I can tell your PC has a virus. Do what I tell you to, and we'll get it fixed") .... so I told him my PC wasn't on, and that he'd have to wait for it to boot up. Then, every few minutes I apologised for how slow it was, and wasted 15 minutes of his time. laugh.png

Edited by eFestivals

Nice tactic :)

I don't have a landline (even though virgin phone my mobile up to 20 times a month trying to sell me one) and haven't for many years. I used to have my own business building, upgrading, repairing computers, network solutions, that kind of thing. I got tired of people deciding that my home phone number was a free technical support line and just removed the line. I was seriously getting calls at 11:30 at night from hysterical housewives going "a window has just appeared and told me I have a virus"

Mobiles might be ubiquitous, but mine is permanently on silent, I only answer it if I want to speak to the named person on the screen and ignore it if not. Life is simpler.

I am really protective of my landline number. I never give it out to anyone but family and friends. Last year for some reason I had to give it to Indesit to organise delivery of a washer. I think my mobile was knackered, anyway withini the week I was getting cold calls asking for me by name. Well pissed off as I am on TPS as well.

Oh, I have no problem telling them to fuck off. smile.png

But sometimes - particularly with these fraudsters - it's fun to play with them first. Like the guy who was trying to infect my PC with a virus (under the guise of "I'm from the govt Computer Service Centre, and I can tell your PC has a virus. Do what I tell you to, and we'll get it fixed") .... so I told him my PC wasn't on, and that he'd have to wait for it to boot up. Then, every few minutes I apologised for how slow it was, and wasted 15 minutes of his time. laugh.png

:haha: I did something similar and I said "sorry this damn windows '95 is so slow".

• Upvote 1

I had another of the "you have a virus on your computer" calls just now, but I went in a bit too fast, causing matey to not want to play with me ... he hung up. :lol:

I'll have to remember to take things slowly, and use the "just booting up..." (for ten minutes) thing.

Heh, so glad I don't have a landline. The only phone based hassle I get is either my phone provider (t-moblie) or internet provider (virgin) constantly phoning me trying to sell me upgraded services, which basically means trying to sell me a landline.

The last time virgin called and I picked up (I don't usually) they actually got a bit offended that I don't have a tv license and watch TV, nor want a landline, got shirty with me and hung up.

The thing I have always found is, as soon as this sort of selling reaches the point that the government/EU/ofcom get involve and force companies to behave, they then start advertising that they are brilliant people for doing so, as if they are doing you a favour by not behaving badly.

Banks and telecom companies are the worst for this. When the EU (or whoever is responsible) force them to reduce roaming charges or excessive data charges, they start campaigns about their great new cheap roaming or data deals.

Christ I am getting hairy and my acne is getting worse. I have been getting sores on my back due to scratching at the fur coat growing there. I know it can be an age thing so I have even taken to checking my ears every day. I wonder if hrt would help.

• Upvote 1

I have been lucky so far (touch wood). The occasional stray hair over the last decade has been it. My Dad is like a gorilla, the one and only time I have been pleased to have my mother's genes (well, that and the not going bald at 20 thing!)

My acne gets bad with stress. My backne spells "stop moping around feeling sorry for yourself" in braille.

Lol, thanks for sharing (or to be more precise not).

After a shaky couple of weeks of moving backwards rather than forwards I am getting back on an even keel. I am very lucky to have supportive people around me who will both listen and also tell me when I am being a bit of a dick, both are important.

I've had to cut another bigot out of my life. Big deal, I'll move on. I try my best to understand everyone's point of view, but when that is twisted hatred I'm not even going to try and be reasonable. Bigotry is bigotry, whether it is aimed at someone's colour, religion, gender orientation, disability or whatever sets one group apart from another.

I am seriously giving consideration to paying the glastonbury deposit. With everything that has happened over the last couple of years it seems impossible that I would be well enough to go, but that is very much dependent on the schedule for surgery and the results of tests yet to come. I was under the impression previously that the other lung was being done fairly soon, but as that's not the case now and I don't know about the rest of it I think it is worth giving it a shot. The worst that can happen would be like this year where I end up having to sell tickets/lose out financially, the best that can happen is I make it to my favourite event of the year.

Insomnia. It's a fucking bitch.

I had years of insomnia, after my divorce it just sort of went away. At first I blamed my ex, then realised I had also changed my diet and lifestyle and this had helped, as well as removing the stress of what was going on in my life. Every period of insomnia I have had since has come during periods of stress and crap diet.

I'm at my happiest when I'm not drinking alot of caffeinated or high sugar drinks and drinking plenty of water or fruit juice. The days I forget this and drink lots of coffee or fizzy pop are the days I find myself unable to sleep with things flying round my head all night. I've been having problems with sleep lately (too little/too much) and am trying to get that sorted with plenty of fluids, exercise and reduction/removal of stress factors.

Hope it gets better for you, can't say what helps me would help you, everyone is affected by different factors in their lives. Nothing worse than "just do this and everything will be better" speeches, I hear alot of those from people who don't understand what is wrong with me physically and therefore think that because they feel better about themselves after a bike ride then buying a bike will suddenly make my lungs heal and reverse a genetic complaint :P

I had it for about 18 months a few years back, I literally couldn't sleep more than about 2 hours each night.

At the moment it's not that bad, I just have no control over when I get to sleep. I can stay awake 23 hours some days, and others I get up, do stuff for about 3 hours, then feel exhausted and crash out for a while longer. Still shit though.

I don't actually have any caffeine in my diet. I don't like tea, coffee or coke so I don't really know what to do about that. I've always been pretty careful with my diet, had a couple of months where I couldn't get to my kitchen and ordered a lot of takeaway pizzas, but topped them up with a lot of fruit and cereal.

I'm quite aware it's a stress+depression related thing. I just hate that feeling utterly crap all the time isn't enough, and I have to get additional symptoms on the side.

Sorry to hear it mate. Hope you find a way to make things better. I'm just coming back into level territory now and hope that getting back to work (now planned for next week) will be the routine I need to de-stress. I also think that having to take a lot of different medications for the pain from the op has had an effect on me both physically and psychologically, now the pain is getting better and I'm not on 4 doses a day I expect that will become clear.

I totally sympathise, have had the same sort of symptoms, but as I'm sure you know, these things can be different for everyone, related to completely different things and be a warning sign for something in your life. Hope you get it sorted soon without too much impact on your life, these things can be really destabilising.

Thanks for the support. I'm hoping that my pleas to old jobs to take me back for a year will go through, I've had positive noises but nothing concrete. If I actually have something to get up for each morning it'll hopefully provide a bit of structure and meaning to my life again. And having money to do things with would help reduce time spent sat alone feeling sorry for myself.

I am sure you are right. I'm stuck around the house with my head and the news for company, leaving me getting too involved in the news in my own head, I am sure.

Trifle, is my cure-all. I always say it is impossible to feel miserable when eating trifle :)

Also a fan of a nice hot bath.

Hope it gets better for you and find things to help, no one but you knows what works or what doesn't. As you say, structure and meaning are important, if only as occupational therapy to give you something to direct your mind and get you out of a pattern of thought that is dragging you down (if that is what it is, don't want to start making assumptions about someone else's situation, I know where that path leads)

• Upvote 1

had a hot bath this afternoon... first one in months. I was freezing... hot bath, toasted cheese in pitta bread, and a glass of wine...how decadent!

Take it up a notch for the winter Tonyo. Evian bath water, beluga caviar, Chateau De Laubade Armagnac, a Cohiba Cuban cigar and a copy of Sotheby's latest fine art catalogue.

Thats an evening in.

• Upvote 1

As a long time (30 years +) festival goer, big and small, i am starting to get a slightly unsettled feeling.

This year we tried Nova and Over The Moon, small local festivals, and i was left with the feeling that I was being ripped off. Both were compromised of lots of stall holders, all who pay to have a stall there i assume. Having paid to get in, i am then faced with a giant marketing opportuniy. I realise stalls are part of the experience, but it's getting to be the dominant part! In the mornings at OTM, all the stalls and things you had to pay for were open, but no music - you are effectively trapped in a car boot sale you have paid £80 or much more to get into!! And no cashpoint or card sales, so you can't even buy anything anyway!!

On top of that, the lack of free kids stuff. Lots of places seem to have the pricey boat swings and trampolines now. I really object to paying £1.50 per child per go on anything! I have 3 kids and spent £9 letting them do a swing and a jump which took about 10 mins! I don't like the hard sales with a hippy smile..perhaps i am just cynical.

i realise folk are finding it hard to make money, but i do expect not to have to empty my coffers for every tiny thing once i am in. Considering it costs £80 to buy a new trampoline on Amazon, I think these basic entertainments should be provided free..especially when festis are advertised as child friendly.

It just seems like people are now tring to squeeze every last penny out of you, when you have paid over the top to get in in the first place. Don't even get me started on drinks prices!!!!

I also went to Boom in Portugal this year, and the difference became even more apparent!

rant over smile.png

I am so w*nked off. Foul mood does not describe it. I have left a note in the kitchen for my lad to do himself hotdogs for tea and I have locked myself in the living room. I really feel like punching a Buddist in the face.

Rufus - have sex. With someone or by yourself. This normally works for me when I'm moody.

Here's a link that might help if you want to fly Solo.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lpiDRDaH-mU/TMZzEueKS4I/AAAAAAAAVKg/mCWMfXkAjgc/s1600/68762_487542187497_560257497_6943185_6379304_n.jpg