Things that annoy you ?

Barry Fish

I dont think you understand what you've written here, If you get general inflation without wage inflation then home owners are worse off
I know what I've written, thanks. Any lack of understanding is yours (perhaps from a poor choice of words by me).

I was talking about inflation for everything, including wages. If the price of everything rises by 10% (and the pound devalues by 10%), then absolutely nothing has changed aside from the numbers, and so there's no wage inflation in real terms.

Of course, I'm not saying that everything would rise at the same percentage - because house prices need to proportionally fall - but nothing of that gets to mean that there'll be any real-terms wage inflation at the same time. The market would decide how that goes against everything else, as people start again to use 'value' as their decision maker for purchases, rather than the (as a generalisation) situation we have now where only necessity or desire causes people to spend.

For example, houses are not being bought at the moment because they're 'good value', they're being bought because of the necessity of people needing places to live, and (in the UK, at least) prefer to buy for the security of tenure it gives (desire).

Much the same is happening all round. People are hanging onto their cash because they don't see value in what it could be spent on. The only thing going against this are 'trends' and 'fashion', such as the desire for the latest smartphone where 'value' is not a part of the purchase decision, only affordability.

The solution is house building over inflation as I mentioned above increasing the supply to bring prices down.
it's not a full solution, because house prices are not the only thing that is currently mis-priced - just about everything is, as shown by the fact that people are not spending because things are good value (they're only spending due to necessity or desire).

For example, houses are not being bought at the moment because they're 'good value', they're being bought because of the necessity of people needing places to live, and (in the UK, at least) prefer to buy for the security of tenure it gives (desire).

you also need to take into account the fact that by renting, for some people its literally just throwing money away, for some people the mortgage payments are cheaper than the actual rent they pay!

you say they only spending due to necessity or desire? what other types of spending is there?

you say they only spending due to necessity or desire? what other types of spending is there?

value - something is bought because it offers good value to someone. The January sales (or nowadays, Boxing Day sales) show how the value thing works to some extent (tho it's not purely value that drives those, there's 'getting something I'd buy anyway cheaper than I'd otherwise pay' driving some of those purchases).

For example, if you want to buy a car you've got choices from around £250 to £250,000 pounds, and (as long as it's 'a car' you want rather than 'a porche' or another specific car) you pick the one that represents the best value choice to you.

If it's a porche that you want then value is less of the consideration. Only a porche will do (desire), so the 'value' judgement is lessened within that consideration.

value - something is bought because it offers good value to someone. The January sales (or nowadays, Boxing Day sales) show how the value thing works to some extent (tho it's not purely value that drives those, there's 'getting something I'd buy anyway cheaper than I'd otherwise pay' driving some of those purchases).

For example, if you want to buy a car you've got choices from around £250 to £250,000 pounds, and (as long as it's 'a car' you want rather than 'a porche' or another specific car) you pick the one that represents the best value choice to you.

If it's a porche that you want then value is less of the consideration. Only a porche will do (desire), so the 'value' judgement is lessened within that consideration.

is not value just an attribute of the other 2 as it can be equally apportioned, also maybe subjective

Edited by fred quimby

is not value just an attribute of the other 2 as it can be equally apportioned, also maybe subjective

value is not something which can be completely separated from desire or necessity, because no matter how good value a purchase might be a person is not likely to buy that thing if they have no want for it (either thru desire or necessity).

But the fact that 'value' is a lesser part of things currently is demonstrated by the fact of more cash being hoarded right now than is the norm. People with spare cash are at the moment tending to keep that cash to spend at a later date, because they don't see particularly good value in the things it might be spent on now.

(that's a generalisation, of course).

value is not something which can be completely separated from desire or necessity, because no matter how good value a purchase might be a person is not likely to buy that thing if they have no want for it (either thru desire or necessity).

But the fact that 'value' is a lesser part of things currently is demonstrated by the fact of more cash being hoarded right now than is the norm. People with spare cash are at the moment tending to keep that cash to spend at a later date, because they don't see particularly good value in the things it might be spent on now.

(that's a generalisation, of course).

Or they see the nesscssity to spend the cash on savings due to the climate we are in. :) or spending on bringing down debts as they see value in that desire

Or they see the nesscssity to spend the cash on savings due to the climate we are in. :) or spending on bringing down debts as they see value in that desire

yep - but it's still the case that they'd be seeing better value in doing those things than spending the cash that they have on products or services of some kind.

So it's still the case that, currently, products and services are being considered to be less good value than is the norm, as demonstrated by the extra cash hoarding to normal.

So it's still the case that, currently, products and services are being considered to be less good value than is the norm, as demonstrated by the extra cash hoarding to normal.

Is it not that case that in bad times people save more anyway regardless of value (value of savings is poor now unless investing maybe) as they perceive as a necessity

you say Potatoe :)
nah.

You do know that 'big money men' have been making loans at a loss in recent time, don't you, loans for negative interest rates? (To the German central bank, if I'm remembering correctly).

If that's not the strongest possible indication of money having lost its relationship to value I don't know what is.

nah.

You do know that 'big money men' have been making loans at a loss in recent time, don't you, loans for negative interest rates? (To the German central bank, if I'm remembering correctly).

If that's not the strongest possible indication of money having lost its relationship to value I don't know what is.

Yes but what has that got to do with potatoes

I thought we were talking about people spending and the reason for it (desire\ Neccessity and or value) Didn't realise we were off into Money Men and relationship to Making money and financial instruments in the world and whether that holds value to the currencies in the blah blah blah. Dem is a different debate..

I thought we were talking about people spending and the reason for it (desire\ Neccessity and or value) Didn't realise we were off into Money Men and relationship to Making money and financial instruments in the world and whether that holds value to the currencies in the blah blah blah. Dem is a different debate..

nah, it's all part of the same thing. The relationship between money and value has been lost.

It gets restored by prices adjusting to put the value back. The fastest way that can be done is via inflation, where some things inflate a lot while others don't.

A wheel came off my car as I was driving it this morning. The car crunched to the ground but I was able to steer it to the side of the road. I then had to retrieve the wheel from someone's garden. Finally got it to a garage via the assistance of the AA. Don't know what it's going to cost to repair it. All very annoying.

A wheel came off my car as I was driving it this morning. The car crunched to the ground but I was able to steer it to the side of the road. I then had to retrieve the wheel from someone's garden. Finally got it to a garage via the assistance of the AA. Don't know what it's going to cost to repair it. All very annoying.

Lucky it didn't happen on a motorway!

People that just want to drag you down or use you. I have not spoken to a guy for a couple of years after he got aggressive when whizzes off his face. I have been inundated with phone alls from him the past few days. He turned up on my doorstep, totally off his trolley, looking really shit and asking for help. Well what could I do, he looked so pathetic, so I slammed the door in his face and then had to hear the needy c**t whine at the door for the next 20 minutes. I really don't want that sort of chaos in my life again.

• Upvote 1

Lucky it didn't happen on a motorway!

I was thinking that myself so have now adopted the stance that it no longer is annoying. It's going to cost me £330 to repair it. That figure could have been a lot higher really had I careered into anything, so I'm taking that one on the chin too as not being too bad.

Cheats annoy me...

Nicole Cooke has revealed that she was offered drugs during her career in cycling.

She says: "I have had days where temptation to start onto the slippery slope was brought in front of me. In my Tour de France when I was 19 as the race went on my strength left me.

"I was invited into a team camper and asked what "medicines" I would like to take to help me and was reminded that the team had certain expectations of me during the race and I was not living up to them with my performance over the last couple of stages.

"I said I would do my best until I had to drop out of the race, but I was not taking anything."

Nicole Cooke: "I do despair that the sport will ever clean itself up when rewards of stealing are greater than riding clean. If that remains the case, the temptation for those with no morals will always be too great.

"I have been robbed by drugs cheats, but am fortunate, I am here with more in my basket than the 12 year old dreamed of.

"But for many people out there who do ride clean; people with morals, many of these people have had to leave the sport with nothing after a lifetime of hard work - some going through horrific financial turmoil.

"When Lance (Armstrong) "cries" on Oprah later this week and she passes him the tissue, spare a thought for all those genuine people who walked away with no rewards - just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances."

From BBC

• Upvote 1

people panic buying because of the snow forecast. There's nothing in the shops - it's been cleaned out of absolutely everything - bread, milk, fruit, veg, meat, pizza, even bread flour and powdered milk.

So it's scouring the freezer for tomorrow's meals and chicken breasts on sunday :(

"Celebrities" who accept freebies to sporting events, take the best seats, and then act annoyed when the cameras pan onto them...

...just got back from the NBA game at the O2...

Weird American atmosphere and dreadful "entertainment" but the short time you get to watch the pros play really is something live and just a few feet in front of you. Far more impressive than when I've watched the odd moment on TV before.

Just a pity it wasn't a closer game