Things that annoy you ?

Barry Fish

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in yet another Mexican stand off with my parents. They're not going to be around too much longer. Do I stick to my principles, or do I prostitute them for some perceived quality time with them? I haven't seen them since the start of lock down. I've barely spoken to them since then either, and now we are at the non talking at all stage. If I stick to my guns and they die during that act, will I be condemned for the rest of my life feeling guilty? Or, am I strong enough to know that being honest with them and myself will carry me through? Tricky bugger, this.

6 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Break the ice. Send a short message saying hi. This puts the ball in their court. It’s not a competition. 

I can't send a short message saying hi, unfortunately. My parents can barely use a cash point machine, let alone field a text on a mobile phone that they don't have in any case. In the few previous phone calls that have occurred the same old shit is brought up by them between the 30 second to one minute mark. 

The question I guess I'm asking (more of myself, than anybody on here, I guess) is am I finally done with their staggering oppression (it's blighted me all my life)? Have I finally seen through their now apparently transparent broken record technique? And ultimately, is the record broken?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 12:37 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I can't send a short message saying hi, unfortunately. My parents can barely use a cash point machine, let alone field a text on a mobile phone that they don't have in any case. In the few previous phone calls that have occurred the same old shit is brought up by them between the 30 second to one minute mark. 

The question I guess I'm asking (more of myself, than anybody on here, I guess) is am I finally done with their staggering oppression (it's blighted me all my life)? Have I finally seen through their now apparently transparent broken record technique? And ultimately, is the record broken?

The easy option is to fuck them off and get on with life

I

On 7/4/2020 at 1:11 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm in yet another Mexican stand off with my parents. They're not going to be around too much longer. Do I stick to my principles, or do I prostitute them for some perceived quality time with them? I haven't seen them since the start of lock down. I've barely spoken to them since then either, and now we are at the non talking at all stage. If I stick to my guns and they die during that act, will I be condemned for the rest of my life feeling guilty? Or, am I strong enough to know that being honest with them and myself will carry me through? Tricky bugger, this.

This popped into my head the other day. I wasn't brought up with my parents, and felt no obligation to care for them in later life. I had a difficult upbringing and often felt like the adult. It really depends if there's love under all the crap. Either side.

And no guilt if there isn't (it was a lot easier to think affectionately of my family when they could no longer hurt me) xx

Edited by feral chile

4 hours ago, feral chile said:

This popped into my head the other day. I wasn't brought up with my parents, and felt no obligation to care for them in later life. I had a difficult upbringing and often felt like the adult. It really depends if there's love under all the crap. Either side.

And no guilt if there isn't (it was a lot easier to think affectionately of my family when they could no longer hurt me) xx

Hello feral,

Thanks for your reply, and the contents within.  I guess that there is love, and always will be. I don't see as I have an option in that department. 

One of my brothers is coming to visit this Sunday. I've lived here three years and his the only member of my family that hasn't been here. I have no problem with him not having been, and am hopeful that he can do a ' Kofi Annan ' on the situation between us. In order for that to be successful, I'll need to state my case. To not do so would be madness. I'll see where it goes from Sunday, I guess.

All the best. xxx

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello feral,

Thanks for your reply, and the contents within.  I guess that there is love, and always will be. I don't see as I have an option in that department. 

One of my brothers is coming to visit this Sunday. I've lived here three years and his the only member of my family that hasn't been here. I have no problem with him not having been, and am hopeful that he can do a ' Kofi Annan ' on the situation between us. In order for that to be successful, I'll need to state my case. To not do so would be madness. I'll see where it goes from Sunday, I guess.

All the best. xxx

Wishing you all the best. Good luck Sunday, I hope it all works out as you hope xx

• 2 months later...

This stirring is annoying me. People living in high risk areas in Wales have been in local lockdown for weeks, and Welsh lockdown prohibits us visiting areas not in lockdown. Nobody complained about Welsh people not being able to visit, so I'd say this is anti-Welsh, or entitled behaviour of politicians.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-10-16/welsh-travel-ban-arrives-as-government-tensions-surface

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/15/welsh-government-insists-police-can-enforce-covid-travel-ban

Edited by feral chile

16 minutes ago, feral chile said:

This stirring is annoying me. People living in high risk areas in Wales have been in local lockdown for weeks, and Welsh lockdown prohibits us visiting areas not in lockdown. Nobody complained about Welsh people not being able to visit, so I'd say this is anti-Welsh, or entitled behaviour of politicians.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-10-16/welsh-travel-ban-arrives-as-government-tensions-surface

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/15/welsh-government-insists-police-can-enforce-covid-travel-ban

I think the Welsh position is ok, it's an equitable approach.

Contrast with sturgeon, encouraging Scots not to visit Blackpool when there's no such advice on visiting Glasgow.

There's more than just the UK govt playing on the divisive.

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I think the Welsh position is ok, it's an equitable approach.

Contrast with sturgeon, encouraging Scots not to visit Blackpool when there's no such advice on visiting Glasgow.

Thanks, I think it reasonable to limit travel from high risk areas to low risk areas. The only reason it's an England/Wales issue is because Johnson and Drakeford have imposed different restrictions, and Johnson has been difficult to pin down for any kind of co-ordinated strategy.

We have less work restrictions and more social restrictions in Wales compared to England, from what I understand. Having to restrict travel into these areas will hit us hard economically. It's definitely not being done for spite.

• 1 month later...

Got home from work.

Dropped my phone somewhere.

I really hope it's slipped out of my pocket on the work shuttle bus and that the driver has found it on their clean up when they got back to the depot (it wouldn't be the first time).

I've looked everywhere else. It's not in the car. It's not at home. It doesn't appear to be anywhere between the car and home. The only other places it could be are left at work (probably OK) or between getting off the shuttle bus and getting to my car (in which case, although only a short distance (less than car and home), it's probably lost (or run over and crushed)).

Yes I've tried ringing it. And it'd been beeping at me that it was low on power since early evening, so I've probably only got another couple of tries at that.

It's not backed up. I've got years worths of numbers on it. I'd meant to back it up the last few times I've misplaced it (and god I hope it is just misplaced again).

Potentially losing the only contact details I have for pretty much everyone ever.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkk.

And it's my alarm to get up for tonight's night shift.

And now I'm ranting in this thread, fuck the ridiculously short pockets on our work issued trousers. I've been moaning about them since they were introduced. "Can you please make the pockets a bit deeper. Especially given the amount of stuff you issue us, that you expect us to carry around with us at all times. Every time I sit down in them something falls out". Probably a cost issue. The tight bastards.

If that phones lost it could well be the straw that breaks this particular camels back at the moment. Lots of personal shit going down that would make the above rant look short if I were to go off on one about it.

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Got home from work.

Dropped my phone somewhere.

I really hope it's slipped out of my pocket on the work shuttle bus and that the driver has found it on their clean up when they got back to the depot (it wouldn't be the first time).

I've looked everywhere else. It's not in the car. It's not at home. It doesn't appear to be anywhere between the car and home. The only other places it could be are left at work (probably OK) or between getting off the shuttle bus and getting to my car (in which case, although only a short distance (less than car and home), it's probably lost (or run over and crushed)).

Yes I've tried ringing it. And it'd been beeping at me that it was low on power since early evening, so I've probably only got another couple of tries at that.

It's not backed up. I've got years worths of numbers on it. I'd meant to back it up the last few times I've misplaced it (and god I hope it is just misplaced again).

Potentially losing the only contact details I have for pretty much everyone ever.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkk.

And it's my alarm to get up for tonight's night shift.

And now I'm ranting in this thread, fuck the ridiculously short pockets on our work issued trousers. I've been moaning about them since they were introduced. "Can you please make the pockets a bit deeper. Especially given the amount of stuff you issue us, that you expect us to carry around with us at all times. Every time I sit down in them something falls out". Probably a cost issue. The tight bastards.

If that phones lost it could well be the straw that breaks this particular camels back at the moment. Lots of personal shit going down that would make the above rant look short if I were to go off on one about it.

Hello MrZigster,

I would have replied sooner, but only just saw your post. That's a shitstorm of biblical proportions you have described. I know that your post was 11 hours ago now. I sincerely hope that those hours have resulted in a better state of play for you. Tell me that they have? It's the result we're all rooting for at our end, I'm sure.

All the best.

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello MrZigster,

I would have replied sooner, but only just saw your post. That's a shitstorm of biblical proportions you have described. I know that your post was 11 hours ago now. I sincerely hope that those hours have resulted in a better state of play for you. Tell me that they have? It's the result we're all rooting for at our end, I'm sure.

All the best.

Thanks Yog. 

Found it. I'd dropped it on the bus as expected.

Could have done with the alarm though. Overslept for work. Just made it. How the fuck do you oversleep for a night shift? That's how stressed I am. Forgot to take my tablets in the rush to get out and am consequently feeling pretty shitty at the moment.

Still. One less thing to stress out over.

12 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Thanks Yog. 

Found it. I'd dropped it on the bus as expected.

Could have done with the alarm though. Overslept for work. Just made it. How the fuck do you oversleep for a night shift? That's how stressed I am. Forgot to take my tablets in the rush to get out and am consequently feeling pretty shitty at the moment.

Still. One less thing to stress out over.

Happy to hear about you getting your phone back. Hope you've now backed up the details on it?

You've reminded me that I haven't taken my own medication for days, so should do so. I tend to get a little mad(der) if I don't take them.

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Happy to hear about you getting your phone back. Hope you've now backed up the details on it?

You've reminded me that I haven't taken my own medication for days, so should do so. I tend to get a little mad(der) if I don't take them.

I just get terrible reflux that makes it hard to concentrate on anything else. I'm generally fine once I've thrown the acid up. I had to insist that I was OK at work last night and didn't need to be sent home, after I very publically had to run to the conveniences.

22 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I just get terrible reflux that makes it hard to concentrate on anything else. I'm generally fine once I've thrown the acid up. I had to insist that I was OK at work last night and didn't need to be sent home, after I very publically had to run to the conveniences.

Have you been to the doctor to explain this condition? Only mention it in case it is / could be the makings of an ulcer. In any instance they should be providing you with some sort of anti-acid type treatment. I think they've recently stopped dishing out Ranitidine. but they must have alternatives, even if it's just a shed load of Gaviscon. As an aside, I always found Gaviscon to be much better for me than Ranitidine.

My medication also has a rather dramatic side effect if I don't take it. It's an anti-psychotic. Failure to take it can lead to some really unwanted scenarios taking place, even if they are mentally fascinating at the time!