Jump to content
Barry Fish

Things that annoy you ?

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Sorry for the late reply. It was indeed the DWP. whom said I was one of 'those people'. I was apoplectic. But to be fair they have accepted my condition. Now to deal with council tax and HMRC as I was self employed and I have over a grand in late payment fines. I was not thinking straight at the time. 

If you feel able to discuss private issues with HMRC, they have a team called NES (Needs Enhanced Support), who are specialised in dealing with complex cases and are able to give you more time and care than generic advisers.

Good luck, hope things get sorted soon xx

Edit: name changed, see first link:

https://www.litrg.org.uk/getting-help

"HMRC also offer the ‘Extra Support service’ (previously known as the Needs Enhanced Support service or NES). A small team of specially trained telephone advisers can spend more time with vulnerable individuals and so offer a more personalised service. The team do not follow scripts rigidly. They also join things up with other parts of HMRC, so that you do not have to.

They can hold face-to-face appointments. This could include a face to face visit in your home or at a specified venue near to home – whatever suits you and your query best.

A typical example of the type of work the Extra Support service do can be seen by looking at the case of Joyce.

Joyce is a cleaner from Portugal. She has limited English and is unfamiliar with the UK tax system.

With the help of a friend, she registered as self-employed in 2014/15. Her 2014/15 tax return was submitted a few days late – her mother had been taken ill and she was back home in Portugal at the time of the deadline. Joyce submitted her 2015/16 tax return herself, on time – her earnings were below the personal allowance so it was quite simple. Joyce stopped working as a cleaner in 2016/17 but forgot to tell HMRC, so they continued to send her tax returns to complete, all of which are still outstanding. By the time Joyce reaches the Extra Support team, she thinks she owes HMRC nearly £4,000.

The Extra Support team help Joyce make a late filing penalty appeal for the 2014/15 tax year as she had a ‘reasonable excuse’ for not filing her tax return on time. They help her complete her 2016/17 tax return – the tax return for the year of cessation. They withdraw the requirement for her to file the subsequent tax returns as she was not actually self-employed for any of those years – and cancel the late filing penalties associated with those years. Now the amount of Joyce’s debt has been properly quantified, HMRC’s debt management team will discuss with her how it might be paid (more on this below).

The Extra Support service can offer help with:

Income tax and PAYE
Self Assessment
Tax credits
National Insurance
Tax debt (see question below)
Inheritance Tax
Child Benefit
VAT
Corporation Tax
Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)
Employers’ queries
You can access the Extra Support team (EST) via the ordinary HMRC helplines – you should tell the telephone adviser about any special circumstances that may be affecting you on either a temporary or permanent basis, in order that they can put you through to the EST team.

The helpline advisers decide, based on their contact with you, whether they need to hand you over to EST. If so, this should be a warm handover to the EST team so that you do not have to explain your circumstances again".

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/needs-enhanced-support-nes-customers

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hmrc-issue-briefing-support-for-customers-who-need-extra-help/hmrc-issue-briefing-support-for-customers-who-need-extra-help

Edited by feral chile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposed to be moving house before Christmas in a chain of 5. 

One buyer was dragging their heels but has now pulled out completely meaning all bets of any move at any time are now well and truly off.

FUMING. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

Supposed to be moving house before Christmas in a chain of 5. 

One buyer was dragging their heels but has now pulled out completely meaning all bets of any move at any time are now well and truly off.

FUMING. 

Surely you knew what you were getting yourself in to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, santowhir said:

Surely you knew what you were getting yourself in to

Of course. But the selling chain was completed 2 months ago, surveys and searches and contracts drawn up for everyone in the chain.  Estate Agents, builders, solicitors etc all doing a great job....... And then only 4 days before completion and expected exchange date they pull right out! Can I not still be annoyed at the one person that has  fucked things up?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Of course. But the selling chain was completed 2 months ago, surveys and searches and contracts drawn up for everyone in the chain.  Estate Agents, builders, solicitors etc all doing a great job....... And then only 4 days before completion and expected exchange date they pull right out! Can I not still be annoyed at the one person that has  fucked things up?  

I guess it pays to be a glass half empty person in this situation. My expectations of anything going through are 0%, it means i'm miserable all the time but at least I don't get any nasty shocks ?

Jokes aside, I hope that the damage is minimal from your side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Supposed to be moving house before Christmas in a chain of 5. 

One buyer was dragging their heels but has now pulled out completely meaning all bets of any move at any time are now well and truly off.

FUMING. 

That's pretty annoying alright, but I guess that it's a lesson learnt in that it aint over until the fat lady sings. I don't mean that in a harsh way, just to say don't run ahead of yourself in any future transaction(s) - especially those where buying and selling houses is concerned. It's easily done though. You'll just never know the commitment or changing circumstances behind the other parties. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 2:01 PM, feral chile said:

If you feel able to discuss private issues with HMRC, they have a team called NES (Needs Enhanced Support), who are specialised in dealing with complex cases and are able to give you more time and care than generic advisers.

Good luck, hope things get sorted soon xx

Edit: name changed, see first link:

https://www.litrg.org.uk/getting-help

"HMRC also offer the ‘Extra Support service’ (previously known as the Needs Enhanced Support service or NES). A small team of specially trained telephone advisers can spend more time with vulnerable individuals and so offer a more personalised service. The team do not follow scripts rigidly. They also join things up with other parts of HMRC, so that you do not have to.

They can hold face-to-face appointments. This could include a face to face visit in your home or at a specified venue near to home – whatever suits you and your query best.

A typical example of the type of work the Extra Support service do can be seen by looking at the case of Joyce.

Joyce is a cleaner from Portugal. She has limited English and is unfamiliar with the UK tax system.

With the help of a friend, she registered as self-employed in 2014/15. Her 2014/15 tax return was submitted a few days late – her mother had been taken ill and she was back home in Portugal at the time of the deadline. Joyce submitted her 2015/16 tax return herself, on time – her earnings were below the personal allowance so it was quite simple. Joyce stopped working as a cleaner in 2016/17 but forgot to tell HMRC, so they continued to send her tax returns to complete, all of which are still outstanding. By the time Joyce reaches the Extra Support team, she thinks she owes HMRC nearly £4,000.

The Extra Support team help Joyce make a late filing penalty appeal for the 2014/15 tax year as she had a ‘reasonable excuse’ for not filing her tax return on time. They help her complete her 2016/17 tax return – the tax return for the year of cessation. They withdraw the requirement for her to file the subsequent tax returns as she was not actually self-employed for any of those years – and cancel the late filing penalties associated with those years. Now the amount of Joyce’s debt has been properly quantified, HMRC’s debt management team will discuss with her how it might be paid (more on this below).

The Extra Support service can offer help with:

Income tax and PAYE
Self Assessment
Tax credits
National Insurance
Tax debt (see question below)
Inheritance Tax
Child Benefit
VAT
Corporation Tax
Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)
Employers’ queries
You can access the Extra Support team (EST) via the ordinary HMRC helplines – you should tell the telephone adviser about any special circumstances that may be affecting you on either a temporary or permanent basis, in order that they can put you through to the EST team.

The helpline advisers decide, based on their contact with you, whether they need to hand you over to EST. If so, this should be a warm handover to the EST team so that you do not have to explain your circumstances again".

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/needs-enhanced-support-nes-customers

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hmrc-issue-briefing-support-for-customers-who-need-extra-help/hmrc-issue-briefing-support-for-customers-who-need-extra-help

Thanks for the reply. I will certainly look into it. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

In other news I am having real problems with my eyesight. If I close one eye, tilt my head 45 degrees and squint I can just about read. Gonna be a few weeks before I can afford new specs. 

Shit you're in the wars rufus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, feral chile said:

Shit you're in the wars rufus.

Things are looking up. I get my first UC payment next week and it is more than I was getting on ESA. Enough for me to seriously look a an OU psychology course that interests me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Things are looking up. I get my first UC payment next week and it is more than I was getting on ESA. Enough for me to seriously look a an OU psychology course that interests me. 

Great news.

My friend managed to sort out her PIP too, she had appealed. It took her years to get it at all, and she had to fight them all the way.

And I'm glad that overall you made the correct choice.

Good luck with your OU course if you decide to do it xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Turkeys voting for Christmas. That's annoying me today. Fucking spanners.

Agree yog.

:(

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the server upgrade picking up loads of errors in my quick and dirty programming. :(

I'm trying to update a festival listing and publish a news article, and am having to fix errors with every step.

It's going to be a long day. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a ling reply readt to post, copying a link, then being unable to find which of the multiple efests pages I left open on my phone is the right one.

😔

Edited by feral chile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mentioned vision problems but I have lost my specs. On top of that I have not been taking my neds properly and get a little anxious and confused. I have just had a 5 minute chat with a cardboard cut out of a copper in Home Bargains. It would have gone on longer if not for a member of staff intervening 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I have mentioned vision problems but I have lost my specs. On top of that I have not been taking my neds properly and get a little anxious and confused. I have just had a 5 minute chat with a cardboard cut out of a copper in Home Bargains. It would have gone on longer if not for a member of staff intervening 

Oh rufus, thank you for that mental image 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2019 at 4:05 PM, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I have mentioned vision problems but I have lost my specs. On top of that I have not been taking my neds properly and get a little anxious and confused. I have just had a 5 minute chat with a cardboard cut out of a copper in Home Bargains. It would have gone on longer if not for a member of staff intervening 

I lost the plot, as in seriously, once in my life. I only discovered that I had a problem when it dawned on me that everybody in the super market aisles where I was shopping, were moving away from me as if I was the resident nutter. Only I had actually turned in to the resident nutter. I realised that I was laughing out loud and murmuring to myself, laughing out loud, murmuring to myself etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2019 at 3:46 PM, feral chile said:

I'm sure I've had a cold since last September :(

It might as well rain until September ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

It might as well rain until September ......

My nose feels like it's raining.....

It's snot unusual.....

The green green spills of foam....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I lost the plot, as in seriously, once in my life. I only discovered that I had a problem when it dawned on me that everybody in the super market aisles where I was shopping, were moving away from me as if I was the resident nutter. Only I had actually turned in to the resident nutter. I realised that I was laughing out loud and murmuring to myself, laughing out loud, murmuring to myself etc. 

If you were noticing reactions in a rational way, you hadn't completely lost the plot.

If you even remember any of it, likewise.

Edited by feral chile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, feral chile said:

If you were noticing reactions in a rational way, you hadn't completely lost the plot.

If you even remember any of it, likewise.

I agree with you entirely. In my defence, there was a little bit of licence used. That said, there really was a time when I really did lose the plot, and was taken to the psychiatric unit at the QE Hospital in Birmingham. Id do recall talking to two people who I now know cannot have existed. On top of that there's all the evidence of me knocking on neighbours doors, talking gibberish at them (apparently), until I disturbed them that much that the police were called, and I was carted away to the QE. I have flashes of this being the case, but have mainly had to rely on trusting that everybody telling me that this was the case, is right and telling the truth. See what I did there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, feral chile said:

My nose feels like it's raining.....

It's snot unusual.....

The green green spills of foam....

Bogie Nights?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I agree with you entirely. In my defence, there was a little bit of licence used. That said, there really was a time when I really did lose the plot, and was taken to the psychiatric unit at the QE Hospital in Birmingham. Id do recall talking to two people who I now know cannot have existed. On top of that there's all the evidence of me knocking on neighbours doors, talking gibberish at them (apparently), until I disturbed them that much that the police were called, and I was carted away to the QE. I have flashes of this being the case, but have mainly had to rely on trusting that everybody telling me that this was the case, is right and telling the truth. See what I did there?

I can relate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...