Jump to content

Things that annoy you ?


Barry Fish
 Share

Recommended Posts

deciding I've made a rubbish job of my first attempt at laying laminate flooring... so much so that I've decided to rip it up and start again.

(I blame the wonky walls in this old house, it's not the workman, honest :P)

At least it'll be much easier the second time. There's not too many boards that'll need to be re-cut.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

deciding I've made a rubbish job of my first attempt at laying laminate flooring... so much so that I've decided to rip it up and start again.

(I blame the wonky walls in this old house, it's not the workman, honest :P)

At least it'll be much easier the second time. There's not too many boards that'll need to be re-cut.

Beading can cover a multitude of sins, when it comes to laminate flooring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Beading can cover a multitude of sins, when it comes to laminate flooring.

I'd have some huge gaps to somehow fill first as they're bigger than any beading. That'd probably end up as nearly as-long a job as pulling it up and re-laying.

Essentially I started laying the floor from the wrong end of the hallway, where the wall warps soon after - so the rest of it is a long way from the wall before it re-touches at the other end.

If I take it up and relay the same boards from the other end (and then trim what's then the last board) I can lose the big unfillable gap. I'll have to recut some boards for the the other side of the hallway, tho I've got enough spare so it's not a biggie (and I can cut them better than I did last time).

I also managed to use a damaged board in the middle of it, which annoys me - so I can change that too. It's only cheap flooring, but it might as well start its life decently done.

I know I can make a much better job of it than the shitty job I've done at my first attempt, and I hate poorly done DIY. It's gotta go.

(not this weekend tho, my knees still haven't recovered from last weekend)

Edited by eFestivals
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd have some huge gaps to somehow fill first as they're bigger than any beading. That'd probably end up as nearly as-long a job as pulling it up and re-laying.

Essentially I started laying the floor from the wrong end of the hallway, where the wall warps soon after - so the rest of it is a long way from the wall before it re-touches at the other end.

If I take it up and relay the same boards from the other end (and then trim what's then the last board) I can lose the big unfillable gap. I'll have to recut some boards for the the other side of the hallway, tho I've got enough spare so it's not a biggie (and I can cut them better than I did last time).

I also managed to use a damaged board in the middle of it, which annoys me - so I can change that too. It's only cheap flooring, but it might as well start its life decently done.

I know I can make a much better job of it than the shitty job I've done at my first attempt, and I hate poorly done DIY. It's gotta go.

(not this weekend tho, my knees still haven't recovered from last weekend)

Sounds like you have a plan. I layed a laminate floor once (many many moons ago now), and for the life of me I don't know  how I did it, but it was bang on, first time. All it needed was a little bit of beading around the edges, which was inevitable anyway, as the walls were out. I doubt that I'd ever do that again. Essentially, I'm crap at DIY. I've worked on properties for decades, but was really only a goafer.

What did you do last weekend, to give one bad knees? I'm pretty sure that you weren't kneeling down at a Roman Catholic vigil to the blessed virgin Mary!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Sounds like you have a plan.

I do ... as long as the bit of wall I think is straight is actually straight. :lol:
(the way the boards are laid at the mo suggests it is)

It's a bugger to do it again, tho now i know what I'm doing (cos of what I learnt doing it the first time) I reckon it'll only take about 2 hours.

 

10 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

What did you do last weekend, to give one bad knees?

laid the laminate floor. It's not a stand-up job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

 

laid the laminate floor. It's not a stand-up job.

I thought that I may have got layed wrong and that it should be laid. I agree, in that if you are standing up and fitting a laminate floor at the same time, then there's  something seriously wrong going on. Good luck with round 2 of the flooring project.

I've currently got a carpenter in doing some work for me. He came recommended by a neighbour. He's a really nice bloke, a great carpenter, problem solver, and he's fast, and doesn't piss about dossing instead of working. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

This country. Seriously. How come my local Co-op, and tesco, and deli still using the snow from a fortnight ago as an excuse for low stock?

Supposed to be more snow this weekend, though not as much I believe. Ours are the same, guess the way companies these days run on minimum staff extra deliveries will take longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, eFestivals said:

deciding I've made a rubbish job of my first attempt at laying laminate flooring... so much so that I've decided to rip it up and start again.

(I blame the wonky walls in this old house, it's not the workman, honest :P)

At least it'll be much easier the second time. There's not too many boards that'll need to be re-cut.

If you've got skirting boards that need replacing then could take them off, lay right up to the wall then put new skirting on top so wonky wall should be covered unless it's badly out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, slash's hat said:

If you've got skirting boards that need replacing then could take them off, lay right up to the wall then put new skirting on top so wonky wall should be covered unless it's badly out.

that's not happening. If I tried taking the skirting boards off loads of plaster would also come off the wall, and just add to the problems to sort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

When you're texting someone and then they don't reply for an hour. Winds me up.

Why not just call them?  They invented this wonderful thing call the telephone that allows people to actually talk to each other but now we seem to have gone backwards to tapping out messages.  We'll next have the iCarrier pigeon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Why not just call them?  They invented this wonderful thing call the telephone that allows people to actually talk to each other but now we seem to have gone backwards to tapping out messages.  We'll next have the iCarrier pigeon.

People find phone calls rude now. Not saying I do, just the way things are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

But don't you find that sad?

Having worked in a call centre I can honestly say I completely ignore phone calls on my landline and only answer mobile if close family members. Text is much better for me. My kids use FaceTime etc so all is not lost on the communicating front.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2018 at 7:53 AM, slash's hat said:

Having worked in a call centre I can honestly say I completely ignore phone calls on my landline and only answer mobile if close family members. Text is much better for me. My kids use FaceTime etc so all is not lost on the communicating front.

Yeah call centre work gives you a fucked up attitude towards phones for life, I hate calls. In my job now I don't take customer calls, but some w*nker with a grievance somehow got hold of my work phone number and posted it all over the internet saying it bypasses the call centre. It doesn't, I'm a meaningless cog with nothing of use to tell you, I just tell you to ring the call centre. But the beauty is that it's not a customer line, so it's not recorded, so when people are dicks to me I can give as good as I get.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah call centre work gives you a fucked up attitude towards phones for life, I hate calls. In my job now I don't take customer calls, but some w*nker with a grievance somehow got hold of my work phone number and posted it all over the internet saying it bypasses the call centre. It doesn't, I'm a meaningless cog with nothing of use to tell you, I just tell you to ring the call centre. But the beauty is that it's not a customer line, so it's not recorded, so when people are dicks to me I can give as good as I get.

On the other hsnd, I'm supernice to contact centre staff now, after being one for about 10 years.

I don't miss the micromanagement, but I kinda miss the work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had my caravan serviced today prior to my first festival outing of the season tomorrow to the Something Else in the Dean Campfire Sessions.  Unfortunately there is a gas leak in the water heater, which has been isolated until further work is done.  So all hot water will have to be kettle boiled.  I can live with that but the final repair bill may not be so good.

Oh and I've got raging toothache so the dentist has prescribed antibiotics of a type which means no alcohol while taking them.  So a sober fest too.

Edited by grumpyhack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Had my caravan serviced today prior to my first festival outing of the season tomorrow to the Something Else in the Dean Campfire Sessions.  Unfortunately there is a gas leak in the water heater, which has been isolated until further work is done.  So all hot water will have to be kettle boiled.  I can live with that but the final repair bill may not be so good.

Oh and I've got raging toothache so the dentist has prescribed antibiotics of a type which means no alcohol while taking them.  So a sober fest too.

Hello grumpy,

I've got a gas supply problem to the oven of the cooker in my campervan. The hobs work, but not the oven. As it's all built in, I haven't got a clue about having a look at it myself eg to straighten out a kink. This means using someone who knows what they are doing. I have no idea where I get a hold of one of them people, but admittedly haven't tried yet. All very annoying though, and more expense.

No drink at the festival = getting too stoned, in my books. Be careful. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello grumpy,

I've got a gas supply problem to the oven of the cooker in my campervan. The hobs work, but not the oven. As it's all built in, I haven't got a clue about having a look at it myself eg to straighten out a kink. This means using someone who knows what they are doing. I have no idea where I get a hold of one of them people, but admittedly haven't tried yet. All very annoying though, and more expense.

No drink at the festival = getting too stoned, in my books. Be careful. :)

Sadly no festival either.  The antibiotics don't seem to be making much of a dent in the tooth pain, so I've decided to pass.  The first time I've not gone to a festival when I've had tickets.

As for your cooker, I use a mobile caravan/motorhome service engineer who's very good.  An annual service is £150 but that's five hours work and is very thorough.  You could just try Googling caravan service engineers locally.  One thought, are you sure that the gas isn't coming through but just not lighting?  Could be a piezo igniter problem.  But a service engineer should sort that.  Good luck.

On other thought, not far from me is a caravan breakers yard where all sorts of spares can be bought.  A breaker might be able to suggest someone or just ask a local caravan dealer.

Edited by grumpyhack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Sadly no festival either.  The antibiotics don't seem to be making much of a dent in the tooth pain, so I've decided to pass.  The first time I've not gone to a festival when I've had tickets.

As for your cooker, I use a mobile caravan/motorhome service engineer who's very good.  An annual service is £150 but that's five hours work and is very thorough.  You could just try Googling caravan service engineers locally.  One thought, are you sure that the gas isn't coming through but just not lighting?  Could be a piezo igniter problem.  But a service engineer should sort that.  Good luck.

On other thought, not far from me is a caravan breakers yard where all sorts of spares can be bought.  A breaker might be able to suggest someone or just ask a local caravan dealer.

Thanks for the suggestions grumpy. To be fair, I've not really looked yet for someone who can fix the gas problem. I'll investigate the piezo igniter suggestion, but have a feeling that we also tried to light the supply manually.

Sorry to hear about your toothache. Unfortunately, owing to the huge amounts of drugs I have taken over the years, a few of my teeth have come out. However, they haven't come out without a fight. Fucking hate tooth ache. And who ever initially said that clove oil helps, has a lot to answer for. Put that stuff in your mouth and, yes, you do forget about the individual tooth ache area. That's because now your whole fucking mouth is on fire, and you've diverted the main focus of your attention to that, unsurprisingly.

However, this stuff is very good;

image.png.d71b1e1a72e738feb41135d2527b2700.png

 

It really can give you some respite from the pain - or, at least, it has on repeated occasions for me.

Not getting to go to a festival you've bought tickets to is something that I've experienced a fair few times before (most notably Glastonbury last year). It doesn't get easier as time goes on, I can tell you. So, I feel your pain, on that front.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Sadly no festival either.  The antibiotics don't seem to be making much of a dent in the tooth pain, so I've decided to pass.  The first time I've not gone to a festival when I've had tickets.

As for your cooker, I use a mobile caravan/motorhome service engineer who's very good.  An annual service is £150 but that's five hours work and is very thorough.  You could just try Googling caravan service engineers locally.  One thought, are you sure that the gas isn't coming through but just not lighting?  Could be a piezo igniter problem.  But a service engineer should sort that.  Good luck.

On other thought, not far from me is a caravan breakers yard where all sorts of spares can be bought.  A breaker might be able to suggest someone or just ask a local caravan dealer.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your caravan and your teeth and having to miss a festival

Hope the pain goes away soon x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...