WWE

lharris92

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Reading a lot of rumours that Cody leaving is just a work. I can't see it myself. 
On the note of him coming back to WWE - may very well be happening but isn't he still on the board of AEW? I'm sure he was EVP. How would that work if he's still in that role?

Certain it's not a work, his EVP status expired when his contract did at the end of 2021. Though the roles all the EVPs have in the company was scaled back quite a while ago when Khan took over as head booker.

I'm really not sure Austin is the kinda guy who would necessarily clamour for one last match. I'm sure he's had thousands in Saudi blood money offered to him in the past and said no. Rumour persisting it would be Austin v Goldberg, couldn't think of a worse opponent for someone with the neck issues Austin has. 

WWE clamouring for another old timer to come back only for them to bury a current worker on the roster would be far for the course. Yes it's Austin, but the fact WWE are hell bent on making sure everyone knows 'sports entertainment' isn't and won't ever be as good as it was in the 90s is killing the business more than any Young Bucks spamming of super kicks. 

16 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

If that happens will it really matter in the long run? People will moan online, but their reputations will be intact and the wrestlers get a good payday. 

If Austin has a poor match it won't taint his legacy one bit. He will still be remembered as one of the great WWE wrestlers, for legendary feuds with Vince and Rock and (in my view) the greatest match of all time with Brett Hart. 

I don't give a shit about his legacy. I'm tired of seeing these piss poor old timers in piss poor matches.

20 hours ago, jump said:

The entrance and personality is one thing but they will give Austin 30 mins matches and it will show how out of it he his as they haven't learnt their lessons from all the old timers from the last few years. 

Oh yeah they'll overbook it to hell. Or at least that will be their first instinct. I forgot about the Bret/Vince match until this thread, but good grief.

Just now, Padjeq said:

Oh yeah they'll overbook it to hell. Or at least that will be their first instinct. I forgot about the Bret/Vince match until this thread, but good grief.

The funny thing is even though Bret didn’t really wrestle In that match as he was in the match he lost his massive insurance payout. He should just not have bothered coming back.

2 hours ago, jump said:

I don't give a shit about his legacy. I'm tired of seeing these piss poor old timers in piss poor matches.

At the end of the day they won't care what you or I think, they will do what's best for business. Match quality has never been the main focus of the WWE. They can put 2 of these greatest workers to have the greatest match and it won't move the needle. Their judgement is someone like Austin would make money for them. If Austin was announced for a match I would sign up again to the network, whether enough would who knows.

I cant see it happening, but would be loved to be proven wrong.

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

At the end of the day they won't care what you or I think, they will do what's best for business. Match quality has never been the main focus of the WWE. They can put 2 of these greatest workers to have the greatest match and it won't move the needle. Their judgement is someone like Austin would make money for them. If Austin was announced for a match I would sign up again to the network, whether enough would who knows.

I cant see it happening, but would be loved to be proven wrong.

Christ, why does every conversation with you amounts to don't say anything bad about WWE’s product because of “business” even though the quality of the product is now so bad EVEN you have stopped watching? 😜 

I might have been excited for Austin if they know how to manage the old timers correctly to cover up their shortcomings  like short matches, don't over book it, don’t have Goldberg nearly kill people etc but instead it is Goldberg nearly killing people, way too long HHH matches, The Bret vs Vince mess, The Crown Jewel shit with Shawn Michaels etc. 

1 hour ago, jump said:

Christ, why does every conversation with you amounts to don't say anything bad about WWE’s product because of “business” even though the quality of the product is now so bad EVEN you have stopped watching? 😜 

I might have been excited for Austin if they know how to manage the old timers correctly to cover up their shortcomings  like short matches, don't over book it, don’t have Goldberg nearly kill people etc but instead it is Goldberg nearly killing people, way too long HHH matches, The Bret vs Vince mess, The Crown Jewel shit with Shawn Michaels etc. 

I'm just pointing out that Vince doesn't see quality of wrestling matches as his main priority. It isn't the priority for me either. I didn't stop watching because of the quality of the matches, the average star rating is no doubt more than my peak year which were WrestleMania 12 to 19. I stopped watching because I didn't care about the wrestlers or the storylines, didn't care who won or lost. Not that I don't care about match quality Austin v Brett is my favourite ever.

As I have said if Austin returns I sign back up and probably end up staying for a bit catching up on what I have missed in the last few years. Maybe get hooked again and maybe not. I perfectly accept fans like me may be close to extinction and maybe it won't work. My guess is it won't happen and Austin is just being a good self publicist.

47 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm just pointing out that Vince doesn't see quality of wrestling matches as his main priority. It isn't the priority for me either. I didn't stop watching because of the quality of the matches, the average star rating is no doubt more than my peak year which were WrestleMania 12 to 19. I stopped watching because I didn't care about the wrestlers or the storylines, didn't care who won or lost. Not that I don't care about match quality Austin v Brett is my favourite ever.

As I have said if Austin returns I sign back up and probably end up staying for a bit catching up on what I have missed in the last few years. Maybe get hooked again and maybe not. I perfectly accept fans like me may be close to extinction and maybe it won't work. My guess is it won't happen and Austin is just being a good self publicist.

We aren't talking about having a great match or even a passable match, we are talking about complete and utter shit shows which these old timers keeping having over and over which is actually damaging the product. The people who watched again for Shawn Michaels knocking off Kane's wig or Goldberg botching so bad that he could have killed someone shit shows returns didn't stick around or even keep the regular fans as you can tell be the plummeting viewership and the cancelation of The WWE Network. It's all short term bollocks which doesn't address the issue.

Edited by jump

1 hour ago, jump said:

We aren't talking about having a great match or even a passable match, we are talking about complete and utter shit shows which these old timers keeping having over and over which is actually damaging the product. The people who watched again for Shawn Michaels knocking off Kane's wig or Goldberg botching so bad that he could have killed someone shit shows returns didn't stick around or even keep the regular fans as you can tell be the plummeting viewership and the cancelation of The WWE Network. It's all short term bollocks which doesn't address the issue.

Is it really damaging the product. Would the WWE have more subscriptions, better ratings etc if they had replaced it with 1 great workers putting on a 4* match? My guess is that it generates a lot of moaning online, but in the long run makes little difference. The Saudi Prince gets what he has paid for 

Im not sure HBK and Austin are comparable. Austin bigger star and away for longer. I would renew my subscription for Austin and not for HBK. I'm not sure there is an answer, people just have more entertaininment options these days. I'm not sure wrestling will create the megastars it has in the past 

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Is it really damaging the product. Would the WWE have more subscriptions, better ratings etc if they had replaced it with 1 great workers putting on a 4* match? My guess is that it generates a lot of moaning online, but in the long run makes little difference. The Saudi Prince gets what he has paid for 

Im not sure HBK and Austin are comparable. Austin bigger star and away for longer. I would renew my subscription for Austin and not for HBK. I'm not sure there is an answer, people just have more entertaininment options these days. I'm not sure wrestling will create the megastars it has in the past 

I’ve never said they need to have 4 star matches so I don’t know why you keep bring it up. I’ve said they need to stop putting on painfully shit and embarrassing matches in marquee positions. Seriously go and watch the DX vs Brothers Of Destruction, Goldberg vs ‘taker or the 40min HHH ‘mania matches of the last few years and then tell me that’s the way forward for the company.

WWE hanging onto the past is damaging the product. They haven’t built new stars as they keep going back to the same old shit in the hopes that Shane or Goldberg will still pop. 

3 hours ago, jump said:

I’ve never said they need to have 4 star matches so I don’t know why you keep bring it up. I’ve said they need to stop putting on painfully shit and embarrassing matches in marquee positions. Seriously go and watch the DX vs Brothers Of Destruction, Goldberg vs ‘taker or the 40min HHH ‘mania matches of the last few years and then tell me that’s the way forward for the company.

WWE hanging onto the past is damaging the product. They haven’t built new stars as they keep going back to the same old shit in the hopes that Shane or Goldberg will still pop. 

Whatever the match quality if the Saudi prince gets what he wants they will see it as worth doing. I would prefer no Saudi money, but he is getting what he pays for, I think these matches stir a lot of debate online, but don't think they make much difference in the long run. As I said I think the general metrics would be the same whether they took place or not.

Agree about building new stars, but easier said than done. Has a true wrestling star been built since Cena? Maybe the day of the true stars are over, hope I will be proven wrong 

19 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Whatever the match quality if the Saudi prince gets what he wants they will see it as worth doing. I would prefer no Saudi money, but he is getting what he pays for, I think these matches stir a lot of debate online, but don't think they make much difference in the long run. As I said I think the general metrics would be the same whether they took place or not.

Agree about building new stars, but easier said than done. Has a true wrestling star been built since Cena? Maybe the day of the true stars are over, hope I will be proven wrong 

The talk is for Austin to do at ‘mania not Crown Jewel but I’m glad you agree these old timers make fuck all difference at last.

Now if only I can get you to agree Vince is senile and out of touch! 😜

26 minutes ago, jump said:

The talk is for Austin to do at ‘mania not Crown Jewel but I’m glad you agree these old timers make fuck all difference at last.

Now if only I can get you to agree Vince is senile and out of touch! 😜

Would WWE be doing better if HHH was in charge, I'm not convinced either way. Part of me thinks WWE are going to be at a similar level, whoever is in charge, whoever they sign and however they book.

No doubt someone like Austin would give a short term boost. As I said they would get me back and I suspect others. Whether the short term boost is worth it, is for cleverer people than me to decide.

Not sure there's a promo I can remember being as good as or having the same impact as MJF's one this week. Completely left field but beautifully plotted. Outstanding stuff from a performance and storyline perspective. Him v Punk has been out of this world thus far in terms of building narrative and delivering on it. Genuinely next level shit. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Not sure there's a promo I can remember being as good as or having the same impact as MJF's one this week. Completely left field but beautifully plotted. Outstanding stuff from a performance and storyline perspective. Him v Punk has been out of this world thus far in terms of building narrative and delivering on it. Genuinely next level shit. 

Agreed, that promo was incredible and I have no idea where they are going with it which is partly why it was so good. AEW is leagues above WWE.

On 2/25/2022 at 6:52 PM, jump said:

Pink's not really into that type of wrestling, he likes sports entertainment. None of that Dusty Rhodes American Dream nonsense, he wants the guy polka dots! 😜 

I love the sports entertainment side when done well, attitude era my favourite time in wrestling. Austin v Brett my favourite match as it has everything, sports entertainment combined with great wrestling, great crowds who make you believe in their rivalry.

However growing up we didn't have sky. It was WCW and the mid card of Rhodes, Windham, Rude, Austin, Steamboat and Steiners that first caught my attention.

On 2/19/2022 at 9:32 PM, kingbadger said:

@pink_triangle if you wanna spend money on wrestling and trying to get back into it then don't waste money on the Network and get yourself an AEW Plus subscription instead.

I have watched AEW and it's fine, but it wouldn't drag me back. There just wasn't anything that really connected with me. Maybe if I watched more, but I have a big list of things on Netflix and not enough time.  To me wrestling is now more nostalgia which is why I probably would go back to the network above anything.