WWE

lharris92

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

That's a good reason why he isn't with Ellering, but still not a good reason to put with Drake.

Yeah, someone like Foley who has a rep for being brutal and is good on the mic could work instead. There's not much synergy between AOP and Spud for me, then again they did well teaming up with Strong at Wargames who are just as different.

25 minutes ago, jump said:

I enjoyed Smackdown myself. Orton v Rey was good, Flair promo and beating on the Iiconics was fun (although her beating on other heels isn't great for selling herself as a heel now) and Bryan promo was genuinely interesting.

I'm not sure how the brand split will work, apparently Smackdown is gonna be live on Fridays and Raw is gonna on Monday whilst still working house shows so there may not be much crossovers which would defeat the point on ending the brand split.

Apparently The Elite, Jim Ross and Chris Jericho aren't going to WWE and instead are setting up their own promotion.  That could be interesting as they are probably the only group who can pick up a big enough following to challenge WWE but with the Fox deal WWE are about to start picking things up in a big way so it's probably the worst time to launch a new promotion.

The rumour is that Fox want the big stars too so the brand split will be ending.

19 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah, someone like Foley who has a rep for being brutal and is good on the mic could work instead. There's not much synergy between AOP and Spud for me, then again they did well teaming up with Strong at Wargames who are just as different.

Foley isn't currently on TV for the company and does he have the desire to work a full time schedule?

Edited by WS_Jack_III

33 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Foley isn't currently on TV for the company and does he have the desire to work a full time schedule?

Apparently Foley wanted to work on TV but he was dropped in favour of Angel so I can see him coming back fairly easily.

The thing is there's so many veterans out there who don't work anymore you could easily get one of those or they could just not have a manager, keep them as silent bruisers.

Not so much for AOP but I'd like to see Alicia Fox become a valet again (and not like the dating angel in 205), I really like her nutter character but she's never gonna be Women's champ again so it could be a way of giving her a spotlight.

1 hour ago, jump said:

That could be interesting as they are probably the only group who can pick up a big enough following to challenge WWE but with the Fox deal WWE are about to start picking things up in a big way so it's probably the worst time to launch a new promotion.

I don’t think anyone could challenge the wwe, anyone who tries will fail. 

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don’t think anyone could challenge the wwe, anyone who tries will fail. 

I wouldn't say that, or at least not in the way of them overtaking WWE in the short term but as a solid alternative it's certainly possible.

Allegedly Bullet Club shirts already outsell WWE's and All In made $1m in PPV sales as well as being the first arena event not to be related to WWE/WCW for decades, that's strong enough to build something off.

41 minutes ago, jump said:

I wouldn't say that, or at least not in the way of them overtaking WWE in the short term but as a solid alternative it's certainly possible.

Allegedly Bullet Club shirts already outsell WWE's and All In made $1m in PPV sales as well as being the first arena event not to be related to WWE/WCW for decades, that's strong enough to build something off.

I would argue there is a difference between being an alternative and being competition. The WWE is a global brand, it's trying to cater to a different audience.

22 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would argue there is a difference between being an alternative and being competition. The WWE is a global brand, it's trying to cater to a different audience.

I think you're understating their accomplishments but maybe there is a difference between appealing to a hardcore fanbase and causal fans but it's still ultimately the same product.

For all of the talk about WWE offering more than just wrestling if you actually look at the modern product how often are segments actually funny or there's a big riveting storyline and they aren't really building stars like The Rock or Hulk Hogan anymore in fear that go off to Hollywood. 

3 minutes ago, jump said:

I think you're understating their accomplishments but maybe there is a difference between appealing to a hardcore fanbase and causal fans but it's still ultimately the same product.

I'm not convinced it is same product. When I was younger me and my friends loved undertaker v monster of the month. I watch those matches today and don't enjoy them. WWE have to offer something for kids, adults, hardcore, casual and it's a tough balancing act. 

Those popular with hardcore fans can tailor their product to that narrower audience. Take it more mainstream and the sacrifices necessary alienate the old fans.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not convinced it is same product. When I was younger me and my friends loved undertaker v monster of the month. I watch those matches today and don't enjoy them. WWE have to offer something for kids, adults, hardcore, casual and it's a tough balancing act. 

Those popular with hardcore fans can tailor their product to that narrower audience. Take it more mainstream and the sacrifices necessary alienate the old fans.

If WWE were creating monsters it'd be an improvement, the likes of Bray and Braun have stopped and started so much they are no longer effective. 

The funny thing The New Day who do a lot of what you're talking about do a lot of the same things as The Elite.

I think it was around 8 years ago a bloke from by me started a wrestling promotion, it has since grew into one of the UK's best promotions, had unbelievable international talent, done shows around the UK and sold them out, done shows in the US, in the new year has a show in Japan and tonight that man lost, alongside Pete Dunne and Tyler Bates, a loser leaves Fight Club Pro match. That man is Trent Seven. 

WWE have gone so far as to stop Trent appearing at his OWN promotion. Yet will continue for him to work Progress and ICW. Its just pathetic. Whats even weirder, they lost to Devlin, Maloney and Banks. All 3 under WWE contract too, so surely will not be allowed to continue working there also. 

Wrestling injuries can happen at any point, the whole 'only work at WWE tied promotions and against WWE talent' is daft, the UK indie scene isn't full of shoot fighters and it certainly wouldn't have gone down at FCP. Its bullshit. They're trying to say its safeguarding talent but its just trying to kill the industry in the UK apart from WWE UK, It wont be long until they cut ties with Progress and ICW either. If they arent going to put their stuff on the network, then whats the point in keeping them around. 

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years. I have to say, the whole taped format for the UK show isn't doing it for me, I'd love a live show on Monday nights UK time on the network. Our on Monday Night Raw. That would be fun. 

I have found the NXT UK show a bit bland. Apart from those who have had decent exposure on the main NXT, I find most of the wrestlers pretty forgettable. I like the Coffey brothers and the mod bloke, but most of the others haven't held my attention. 

Maybe it's different if your familar with them, but I feel they may have been better introducing them slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my son the WWE Network for his 10th birthday a couple of weeks ago. Say what you want about the current state of the product, which quite frankly is a garbage fire right now, the network is a thing of beauty.

Spent this weekend watching Hogan v Rock from Wrestlemania 18, catching up on some NXT Takeover matches including Black vs Cole and Ciampa vs Gargano 1. The other night we watch Charlotte vs Rousey and Lesnar vs Bryan from SS.

We're planning to watch some of the behind the scenes doc style stuff this weekend.

21 hours ago, swede said:

Got my son the WWE Network for his 10th birthday a couple of weeks ago. Say what you want about the current state of the product, which quite frankly is a garbage fire right now, the network is a thing of beauty.

Spent this weekend watching Hogan v Rock from Wrestlemania 18, catching up on some NXT Takeover matches including Black vs Cole and Ciampa vs Gargano 1. The other night we watch Charlotte vs Rousey and Lesnar vs Bryan from SS.

We're planning to watch some of the behind the scenes doc style stuff this weekend.

It's great if you can find the time to dig back through it. 

23 hours ago, swede said:

I recomment the Dean Ambrose Chronicles, it shows from his comeback up to his heel turn. Only an hour long but it's really good.

A series worth checking out it Monday Night Wars which shows the ratings battle between (then) WWF and WCW. The Jericho episode I particularly enjoyed.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:30 AM, DareToDibble said:

I recomment the Dean Ambrose Chronicles, it shows from his comeback up to his heel turn. Only an hour long but it's really good.

A series worth checking out it Monday Night Wars which shows the ratings battle between (then) WWF and WCW. The Jericho episode I particularly enjoyed.

It’s on our list. My lad watching the 25 greatest rivalries right now, very good documentary, especially for someone like my lad just learning about the long history or pro wrestling 

22 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I will always try to keep up with RAW/SmackDown but they're so bad at the moment it's shocking. SmackDown especially this week seems all over the place. With the exception of the Charlotte/Asuka/Becky storyline there is very little of interest.

The ppv (probably should call them monthly specials) do such good packages you never feel like you have missed out!

44 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I will always try to keep up with RAW/SmackDown but they're so bad at the moment it's shocking. SmackDown especially this week seems all over the place. With the exception of the Charlotte/Asuka/Becky storyline there is very little of interest.

SD was good this week i thought.

TLC could be awesome tonight. 

205 match could well steal the show again, has done at the last few ppvs.

SD women's triple threat could be awesome and the tag triple threat is usually great with the personnel involved.

Great potential in this show

The "shake up" was a bit shit. The calls up will probably be lost in the shuffle, Paige leaving is a shame as she was doing a good job by focusing on the show/wrestlers rather than it being about her (unlike The Authority) and it's seemed abit stupid that people were cheering Vince when he was blaming Corbin for the Raw ratings.

It's good to see Mustafa on Smackdown, some of the 205 guys are wasted on that show and hopefully more cruiserweights can get a call up.

The funny thing with Vince is that he seems to always go for the short term ratings boosts rather than working the product up for the benefit of the long-term. An example of this is The Rock being favourite for the Royal Rumble. Will surely bring in ratings between Jan - April if it happens as he will periodically appear on RAW but then they're back to square one.

50 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

The funny thing with Vince is that he seems to always go for the short term ratings boosts rather than working the product up for the benefit of the long-term. An example of this is The Rock being favourite for the Royal Rumble. Will surely bring in ratings between Jan - April if it happens as he will periodically appear on RAW but then they're back to square one.

Then again they put Ambrose and Rollins at a big match at TLC and they completely flop.