WWE

lharris92

Just now, pink_triangle said:

The trouble is the main thing that would improve the product would be cutting the third hour of raw, but that's not financially viable.

To me the problem is the big angles are part timers who only wrestle at PPVs. People are losing interest in going to house shows as they know the "best in the world", the legendary main eventers or the champ aren't going to be there or watch Raw where no real development is going to happen as it's saved for the PPVs.

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The trouble is the main thing that would improve the product would be cutting the third hour of raw, but that's not financially viable.

never gonna happen is it with the amount they make off the ad rev.

For me, the big problem they have is that they stumble onto something but never run with it. Rusev has to be the biggest example of this recently. The Rusev Day stuff was huge! and they never did anything with it, then the Aiden turn thing hasn't exactly been utilised very well.

When you watch Monday Night Wars on the network and you see Vince talking about allowing the talent to grow, I wonder what happened, because it doesn't seem like they allow it now. They just seem to have a fixed idea and won't budge from it even if it is going wrong.

Look at Becky and Charlotte. Charlotte is a fantastic heel and they're trying to make her the face in this feud. They had a chance to change it but they stuck with it and have Cole saying something like "Becky has duped the WWE Universe."

7 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

never gonna happen is it with the amount they make off the ad rev.

For me, the big problem they have is that they stumble onto something but never run with it. Rusev has to be the biggest example of this recently. The Rusev Day stuff was huge! and they never did anything with it, then the Aiden turn thing hasn't exactly been utilised very well.

When you watch Monday Night Wars on the network and you see Vince talking about allowing the talent to grow, I wonder what happened, because it doesn't seem like they allow it now. They just seem to have a fixed idea and won't budge from it even if it is going wrong.

Look at Becky and Charlotte. Charlotte is a fantastic heel and they're trying to make her the face in this feud. They had a chance to change it but they stuck with it and have Cole saying something like "Becky has duped the WWE Universe."

Yeah, I remember how Breezango doing the Fashion Police got really over on Smackdown and it never led anywhere which seemed odd as giving them the tag titles or being the no.1 contenders wouldn't have been a big deal. I see it happening with Sasha at the moment too, probably the most consistently over women wrestler on the roster but every time they put the title on her it was just so it gave Charlotte a chance to take it off her again.

Even CM Punk & Daniel Bryan when they got white it hot seemed liked WWE were resistance to make the push on them and were still hesitant even when they did and had them under Cena in on the cards.

9 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

When you watch Monday Night Wars on the network and you see Vince talking about allowing the talent to grow, I wonder what happened, because it doesn't seem like they allow it now.

Everything is micromanaged with so many writers now and it's too scripted. Back then guys had freedom to get their character over with promos. That is why guys stood out and stars were created. They didn't have writers who don't even come from the wrestling business writing their promos for them. They had more control and got more over by being themselves. Today in WWE. all promos are the same, very wooden and nothing stands out. People try to blame the talent but truth is it's on the WWE, not the guys. Sure some are just bad on the mic but many would benefit and be more over by getting freedom. Balor was a great promo in Japan, can't recall one good promo he has done in  WWE.  You can't grab the brass ring if you don't have the freedom to do so. NXT promos always come off better than main roster.

WWE have nothing to worry about. Remember next year they are going to be on FOX and making more money than ever. Booking and writing doesn't matter if you are going to be more profitable. Back in late 90's, they had competition, now there is no direct competition  so no need to step up and make an effort.  The big question for 2019 is where will Chris Jericho, Cody Rhodes, Young Bucks, Kenny Omega end up. Could they start their own company? There is a lot going on and I doubt these guys go to WWE after the success of All In.

Edited by When Jokers Attack

11 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Everything is micromanaged with so many writers now and it's too scripted. Back then guys had freedom to get their character over with promos. That is why guys stood out and stars were created. They didn't have writers who don't even come from the wrestling business writing their promos for them. They had more control and got more over by being themselves. Today in WWE. all promos are the same, very wooden and nothing stands out. People try to blame the talent but truth is it's on the WWE, not the guys. Sure some are just bad on the mic but many would benefit and be more over by getting freedom. Balor was a great promo in Japan, can't recall one good promo he has done in  WWE.  You can't grab the brass ring if you don't have the freedom to do so. NXT promos always come off better than main roster.

WWE have nothing to worry about. Remember next year they are going to be on FOX and making more money than ever. Booking and writing doesn't matter if you are going to be more profitable. Back in late 90's, they had competition, now there is no direct competition  so no need to step up and make an effort.  The big question for 2019 is where will Chris Jericho, Cody Rhodes, Young Bucks, Kenny Omega end up. Could they start their own company? There is a lot going on and I doubt these guys go to WWE after the success of All In.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you but Vince Russo had a lot to do with the attitude era (when properly filtered so it's not stupid) but he didn't come from a wrestling background. But yeah, it seems unless a feud is about the title or a tag team imploding there's no story going so you don't get character moments anymore like there was in the Attitude era. 

I don't see a point in WWE getting The Elite when they have a lot of Bullet Club guys already and don't really do much with them. Not that the Elite need WWE either, the merch is/was outselling WWE and they are capable of pulling off arena shows themselves. On a side note I'd actually like to see an AJ heel turn with The Club as his back up (possibly bring in Balor too), I could see a few good matches with New Day in that.

44 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Back in late 90's, they had competition, now there is no direct competition  so no need to step up and make an effort.  The big question for 2019 is where will Chris Jericho, Cody Rhodes, Young Bucks, Kenny Omega end up. 

I would argue from their perspective they see it as no incentive to take a risk, rather than make an effort.

As for bringing in new wrestlers I'm not convinced that achieves much. They already have a stacked roster and plenty waiting in the wings in NXT.

30 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

So Nia Jax broke Beckys nose last night on Raw and now Becky v Ronda is off. Saw the footage, reckless punch from Nia. Nia just can't stop injuring people. Can't cut a promo, have a good match, apart from her size why is she even there! Oh yeah, the Rock. 

I think having female wrestlers with different body shapes is a good thing, I'm not convinced Nia is the best bigger female that they can find.

I'm struggling to get excited about Survivor Series. Nobody believes in the brand rivalry and nobody cares who is the team captains. I find the Brock v Styles match unrealistic and can't get excited by all these not over tag team in the tag Survivor match.

I had no clue how she managed to break it, I assumed it happened with Nia but the camera cuts and you don't see it. 

Do we have to see the under siege thing every year? I was hoping they would do something different this year. Team Angle vs Team Corbin for the GM role was my thinking.

Becky has gone full Austin now.

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think having female wrestlers with different body shapes is a good thing, I'm not convinced Nia is the best bigger female that they can find.

I'm struggling to get excited about Survivor Series. Nobody believes in the brand rivalry and nobody cares who is the team captains. I find the Brock v Styles match unrealistic and can't get excited by all these not over tag team in the tag Survivor match.

It's Brock v Bryan now. Hopefully it's similar to AJ v Brock last year where it's not just 5 mins of suplexes.

Becky on the streak that she is was the main thing I wanted to see at SS but that's gone now. She's the highlight of WWE atm for me, mainly as she has a character which is developing which is so rare nowadays.

33 minutes ago, jump said:

Becky on the streak that she is was the main thing I wanted to see at SS but that's gone now. She's the highlight of WWE atm for me, mainly as she has a character which is developing which is so rare nowadays.

Agree. I'm so Anger at Nia Jax for injuring her. Besides why is Nia getting another title?? she was easily the worst women champion of the last few years.

I also don't agree putting in Charlotte to replace her, that should have been for WM with a long feud to build around. 

2 hours ago, A-Rob said:

Agree. I'm so Anger at Nia Jax for injuring her. Besides why is Nia getting another title?? she was easily the worst women champion of the last few years.

I also don't agree putting in Charlotte to replace her, that should have been for WM with a long feud to build around. 

Yeah, I was assuming Becky-Charlotte would either have a loser leaves town match so Charlotte goes to Raw and then starts a feud with Ronda overs who's the top dog or Charlotte wins the Rumble and challenges her. Tbh rather than having long feuds I'd rather things move at a better pace and they can always change the 'mania event to 4 Horsewomen of UFC V 4 Horsewomen of NXT which has been rumoured for awhile.

Edited by jump

It''s crazy isn't it?

I watch videos of the Attitude era and it's just worlds apart from where it is now, it was so much better. Ironically they make a lot more money now, though. I also seem to remember reading an interview a long time ago (Jericho I think) where he said the wrestlers didn't really like the Attitude era.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

It''s crazy isn't it?

I watch videos of the Attitude era and it's just worlds apart from where it is now, it was so much better. Ironically they make a lot more money now, though. I also seem to remember reading an interview a long time ago (Jericho I think) where he said the wrestlers didn't really like the Attitude era.

Are you certain they make more money these days? All the interviews you hear talk about how much everyone was making.  It was a great era, where even the mid carders had characters and were over. I can imagine the matches would look slow and plodding to fans of the  modern product.

On 11/16/18 at 12:23 PM, pink_triangle said:

Are you certain they make more money these days? All the interviews you hear talk about how much everyone was making.  It was a great era, where even the mid carders had characters and were over. I can imagine the matches would look slow and plodding to fans of the  modern product.

Since the attitude era came about as WWF couldn't afford to pay people as well as WCW, which led to major story and building new stars as soon as possible, as well as the infrastructure of the machine being more built up nowadays I'd imagine there's more money about now. 

On 11/14/18 at 11:09 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Was not expecting that from SDL. Duno what to think really.

Tbh this is more of what I want to see, regardless of if I like it or not theres something happening. WWE is at it's worse where everything is stretched out for so long it becomes pointless as nothing happens, now it's must see TV.

You could see how face Bryan v Brock was going to be played out beforehand, the underdog making a valiant effort but loses however a heel Bryan v Brock I can't guess how they would approach that. 

26 minutes ago, jump said:

Tbh this is more of what I want to see, regardless of if I like it or not theres something happening. WWE is at it's worse where everything is stretched out for so long it becomes pointless as nothing happens, now it's must see TV.

You could see how face Bryan v Brock was going to be played out beforehand, the underdog making a valiant effort but loses however a heel Bryan v Brock I can't guess how they would approach that. 

I guess but I'm not a fan of them just doing turns for the sake of it. Still not on board with the Dean turn either. However, you are correct. It has made me want to watch to find out why both of these characters have turned.

1 hour ago, jump said:

Since the attitude era came about as WWF couldn't afford to pay people as well as WCW, which led to major story and building new stars as soon as possible, as well as the infrastructure of the machine being more built up nowadays I'd imagine there's more money about now. 

Lower houses, less ppv revenue. I'm not convinced they make as much from the network.

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Lower houses, less ppv revenue. I'm not convinced they make as much from the network.

Are you talking about wrestlers or the company? There was a time in the Attitude era that WWF almost went bankrupt, for that to happen today it would have to be a complete failure as there's so many more additional revenue streams like new markets in India, ad money from Youtube, yearly video games etc also the monthly subscriptions to the network are more than what the buyrates for a typical PPV were without having to cut in cable providers.

Back in the 90s they were still privately owned so they didn't have the cash to expand they way they have since going public.

15 minutes ago, jump said:

Are you talking about wrestlers or the company? There was a time in the Attitude era that WWF almost went bankrupt, for that to happen today it would have to be a complete failure as there's so many more additional revenue streams like new markets in India, ad money from Youtube, yearly video games etc also the monthly subscriptions to the network are more than what the buyrates for a typical PPV were without having to cut in cable providers.

Back in the 90s they were still privately owned so they didn't have the cash to expand they way they have since going public.

I'm talking the latter end of the attitude era and the wrestlers not the company.