Films

Rufus Gwertigan

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Why ?  Its based on something that actually happened ? 

I don't really care about the misogyny issue myself but considering Tarantino isn't trying to stick with what actually happened I'm not sure thats's really a justifaction.

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its hard to get into this without doing spoilers 😛 

I think its close enough for it to be so...

Sure, Tarantino only gets a few minor details in his films wrong like Sharon doesn't die and Hitler is murdered in the cinema. lol

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well done for spoiling it dickhead lol

The whole point is to change what you think is about to happen ffs...

Go back to watching some a bit more on your level 🙂

You're trying to make it sound like they highbrow cerebral thrillers, Tarantino makes fun live action cartoons but with swearing and blood.

1 hour ago, jump said:

You're trying to make it sound like they highbrow cerebral thrillers, Tarantino makes fun live action cartoons but with swearing and blood.

That's clearly not how everyone sees it.  I really liked (and still do) several of his earlier films but found something quite off about the last two I saw and then found that lots of other things I read said the same.

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah cheers - just think its a bit daft...

Women's rights in the western days where somewhere between nothing and fuck all...

In both that and Hateful 8 there are a couple of bits which are pretty striking.  

Nobody would accuse either of being historically accurate, "daft" is a pretty soft term for it, indeed I wouldn't use it and clearly nor would this female reviewer who I shared earlier...

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/really-tarantino-whats-with-the-misogyny/news-story/4ec0cfe3bdc1636a50b2fd8640f90cf0

• 2 weeks later...

Made a trip to see Jurassic World: Dominion last night. Just reminded me of half a dozen films I rather would've been watching, with a lot of boring bits and unintentionally hilarious ones. One or two scenes were very well done and it looked nice, but felt like a downgrade on the last Jurassic World movie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 7:31 PM, charlierc said:

Made a trip to see Jurassic World: Dominion last night. Just reminded me of half a dozen films I rather would've been watching, with a lot of boring bits and unintentionally hilarious ones. One or two scenes were very well done and it looked nice, but felt like a downgrade on the last Jurassic World movie.

I'm a fan of the Jurassic series, with the original being my favourite film of all time. I am bit biased towards them and find myself defending the lesser good ones. However, Dominion was the first time I sat in the cinema watching a Jurassic movie and found myself thinking "This is not very good..."

On 7/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, Tartan_Glasto said:

I'm a fan of the Jurassic series, with the original being my favourite film of all time. I am bit biased towards them and find myself defending the lesser good ones. However, Dominion was the first time I sat in the cinema watching a Jurassic movie and found myself thinking "This is not very good..."

You didn’t think that with the last one?

I wanted to go see the new Jordan Peele movie Nope as I heard that was coming out in cinemas this week, but it turns out that was the US release, and the UK release is actually not coming for nearly another month.

Which... why? Maybe there's a reason for this but I find it perplexing streaming services will do global releases of new content on the same week, yet some film studios still insist on staggered cinema releases for movies.

Edited by charlierc

On 7/23/2022 at 9:48 AM, charlierc said:

I wanted to go see the new Jordan Peele movie Nope as I heard that was coming out in cinemas this week, but it turns out that was the US release, and the UK release is actually not coming for nearly another month.

Which... why? Maybe there's a reason for this but I find it perplexing streaming services will do global releases of new content on the same week, yet some film studios still insist on staggered cinema releases for movies.

It had been the same day release for most decent sized releases for some time prior to the pandemic. We were getting some marvel films a week early even. But the past month or so has been near barren for releases. Elvis, then Thor then Minions. That's been about it. Normally in the summer we'd be going to the pictures twice a weekend. Frustrating that Nope is so far away.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Just wasted my night on Thor Love and Thunder. Thankfully I don't pay for Disney+

Saw it in the cinema back when it came out. It was OK but I felt Thor Ragnarok did the comedy superhero stuff better and was kind of a waste of Christian Bale, who I thought was the more interesting character of the bunch. Or maybe it's a force of will from his acting talent. I dunno.

On 9/12/2022 at 7:28 AM, Barry Fish said:

I really not into marvel but found myself watching it.  Never seen the rest of the films but I thought it was quite funny and slapstick.  Not winning any Oscars mind 😜 in hindsight I can see why most will hate it.

There is very little good on Disney+  I have no idea why we keep paying for it.  Disney seem intent on destroying the whole Marvel and Star wars brand by churning out sub standard crap constantly.

Dopesick, Abbott Elementary, Bluey, Atlanta and the Imagineer documentaries are all worth watching on Disney Plus.

Edited by Ryan1984

On 9/12/2022 at 6:16 AM, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Just wasted my night on Thor Love and Thunder. Thankfully I don't pay for Disney+

I enjoyed it, but I'm a fan of most things Taika Waititi does. 

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Dopesick, Abbott Elementary, Bluey, Atlanta and the Imagineer documentaries are all worth watching on Disney Plus.

Also started Abbott Elementary this week after seeing it mentioned as winning some Emmys this week, already six episodes in and I find it pretty funny. 

As for Films, here's a couple of recent ones:-

RRR  (Netflix) - mental and brilliant. as rolling stone said "To call this the best blockbuster of 2022 is only partially accurate; it’s really several of the best blockbusters, plural, you’re apt to catch this year." 

Carter (Netflix) - if only they cut 30 minutes of chases from it, so it didn't become so tiresome in the end. 

Day Shift (Netflix) - I found it very entertaining and it had a decent soundtrack. 

Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes (think you can rent on Prime, not sure about others) - brilliant low budget Japanese Sci Fi.