Films

Rufus Gwertigan

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Bond has always gone over my head - utterly ridiculous films 

Well yeah but that's like complaining about Paddington Bear or Harry Potter being ridiculous. 

It's a pulp adventure series rather than a realistic spy thriller hence the women having sexed up names like Pussy Galore or Xenia Onatopp, adventuring to exotic locations to fight baddies who have robot hands and indescribable teeth in the name of silly fun for a couple of hours. It would be sad to take these films seriously as they are about a rich toff whose job at the government is to kill people but his sex, drinking and gambling addictions get in the way. lol 

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah of course - its the whole package - a lot of the themes around the bond films where not okay back in the day let alone today.  I think the whole thing is just another episode of a Carry on Film dressed up with a shite load of CGI (or stunts back in the day).  Its basically a story about a dirty old British man who gets away with shit due to his status and money - kind of like Jimmy Savile.   I find the whole thing a bit shit and wrong.  As much as they try to modernise it - its still basically the same c**t.

I think you're grasping at straws with the Jimmy Savile comparison to make a point but yeah, the no means yes attitude are problematic and for every recent cool Bond girl like Ana de Armas that's still another one or two that needs saving and then fucking. 

It's a shame they need so much product placement in the films as if they didn't have to flog the latest cars or whatever they could make them period pieces in the 60s rather than modern day so and have him be both a c**t and protagonist* which would work so much better than the recent emo ones where Bond is grumpy and moaning about Eva Green for two decades.

* I've never been a believer you need to have a likable main character for a movie to work just look at all the films Clint Eastwood starred in where he's abit of a c**t but the still the good guy. Christ Star Wars one of the biggest franchises of all time was built on farm boy who whines he doesn't want to do honest work as he'd rather be a space Nazi be it's main character yet in all the tinkering and updates Lucas did they left that in.

On 4/19/2022 at 11:38 AM, Ryan1984 said:

Not long until Doctor Strange? Is Rachel McAdams back? Seems a waste for her to be in the MCU and not be used.

The Thor trailer also looked fun.

The new Doctor Strange is indeed now out. Rachel McAdams will be in it, yeah, though she's quite down the cast list so I get the feeling it won't be the biggest role in her career.

I wasn't aware a new Thor trailer was out tbh. Is there?

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

I went to go see The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent the other day. It was fine, but I kinda was expecting something more balls-to-the-wall weird.

That's what I've heard. 

Still want to see it but my local cinema only showed it for a week and I had covid at the time 

On 5/3/2022 at 11:01 AM, jump said:

Well yeah but that's like complaining about Paddington Bear or Harry Potter being ridiculous. 

It's a pulp adventure series rather than a realistic spy thriller hence the women having sexed up names like Pussy Galore or Xenia Onatopp, adventuring to exotic locations to fight baddies who have robot hands and indescribable teeth in the name of silly fun for a couple of hours. It would be sad to take these films seriously as they are about a rich toff whose job at the government is to kill people but his sex, drinking and gambling addictions get in the way. lol 

Roger Moore is easily the best Bond.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Roger Moore is easily the best Bond.

Nothing in the post you quoted was to do with Roger Moore. That's just the type of mistake I'd expect from someone mistakenly thinks Roger Moore is the best Bond instead of Sean Connery! 😜 

On 5/10/2022 at 3:46 PM, steviewevie said:

Yeah this was the last of about 6 or 7 trailers (a lot more than usual) before I saw Dr Strange last night. Not that I remembered much about it.

I wonder if they'll re-release Avatar in cinemas beforehand. Partly as the best way to see it was on a bigger screen, and partly as I, like many others, haven't seen it since so have probably forgot what happened.

4 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

Went to see Dr Strange yesterday and in the half an hour of ads and trailers, we had a Maverick trailer, but then a further sneak peek watch a 5min clip from it.  Looked pretty dull.

You need to see the new Top Gun in 3D though to fully appreciate it's 40 minute volleyball scene!

• 5 weeks later...