Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Had a day off work so saw No Time to Die earlier today. Given it has a fairly straight forward Bond narrative, there is quite a lot to consider. Genuinely not sure what I made of it all tbh. Craig's performance was good, I liked Seydoux as well, Ana de Armas' character was certainly the most fun, and I think a case can be made for M being a bigger villain of the piece than the disappointing main villain. I did like a few others in my screening (including me) at seeing Hugh Dennis in a brief appearance early on. Also think you could easily have chopped about half an hour out.

Presumably there's still a ban on spoilers into very big specific happenings.

Edited by charlierc

21 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Nothing good can come of a Halloween film that keeps trotting out Jamie Lee Curtis to be honest.  Its done to death and there really isn't really anything left in the Laurie character left to explore or bastardise.

I thought she was great in Halloween (2018) and like what they did with the character. You can forget all the other sequels she was in as it wipes them all out and is a direct sequel to the original movie. 

22 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Went to see Halloween Kills last night. I wasn't great. Too many forced callbacks to the original for the sake of nostalgia. Shame, as I really enjoyed Halloween (2018). Hopefully Halloween End can redeem it. 

A few good moments, but maybe the least tense big horror film I've seen. There's a bit where they start building tension as 2 characters think Michael is in the house, then it just cuts to another scene somewhere else, deflating it entirely. Really bizarre to edit it like an episode of 24. It really did not matter that these 2 scenes were happening concurrently.

The wife - to my surprise - has suggested going to see No Time To Die over the weekend. I've heard a few times that rather than being a standalone film like most of the Bond franchise it might be worth watching the 1 or 2 films before it. Thoughts? Don't want to be sat there not understanding something as it's in reference to a previous film.

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

The wife - to my surprise - has suggested going to see No Time To Die over the weekend. I've heard a few times that rather than being a standalone film like most of the Bond franchise it might be worth watching the 1 or 2 films before it. Thoughts? Don't want to be sat there not understanding something as it's in reference to a previous film.

Took my wife and daughter to see no time to die which was their first ever Bond film. 

Did zero research beforehand and both loved it as a stand alone film.  

Obviously there are multiple back stories referenced, but didn’t matter to us. 

Recommended. 

Edited by ian the worm

4 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Took my wife and daughter to see no time to die which was their first ever Bond film. 

Did zero research beforehand and both loved it as a stand alone film.  

Obviously there are multiple back stories referenced, but didn’t matter to us. 

Recommended. 

Brilliant, thanks!

8 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I mean it's been that long since I've seen Skyfall or Spectre that I tried to watch them before seeing No Time to Die but couldn't find a screening of either before I saw it last week.

It does work standalone though.

18 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Am looking forward to seeing Dune, just have to match up times with the wife to actually get to the cinema. Few people who I know who have seen it say it is fantastic

Anyone here seen it?

Fell asleep 45 mins in. I don't really do "epic" anyway. Was bored senseless. 

45 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Fell asleep 45 mins in. I don't really do "epic" anyway. Was bored senseless. 

Got to ask, why did you go if it is not your type of thing? I assume someone you were with

Other question did you snore loudly. Been in a film where one of my mates fell asleep and all of a sudden in a quiet moment this almighty noise emitted from him.very funny

2 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Am looking forward to seeing Dune, just have to match up times with the wife to actually get to the cinema. Few people who I know who have seen it say it is fantastic

Anyone here seen it?

Saw it yesterday and thought it was great...only issue was that it's only part 1, so have to wait for part 2 now. Also...maybe it was the cinema I was in or maybe I'm just not used to it, but it was very loud!

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Saw it yesterday and thought it was great...only issue was that it's only part 1, so have to wait for part 2 now. Also...maybe it was the cinema I was in or maybe I'm just not used to it, but it was very loud!

They did you a lot of work on the sound and mixed it all for the cinema speakers so might be it. Surprised they could fit it in 2 parts really. Was listening to Kermode the other day and trhey were saying someone looked to make it but gave up when they realised they had a 10 hour film on their hands 🙂

8 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

They did you a lot of work on the sound and mixed it all for the cinema speakers so might be it. Surprised they could fit it in 2 parts really. Was listening to Kermode the other day and trhey were saying someone looked to make it but gave up when they realised they had a 10 hour film on their hands 🙂

yeah, this nutter. Would have been brilliant.

6 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Got to ask, why did you go if it is not your type of thing? I assume someone you were with

Other question did you snore loudly. Been in a film where one of my mates fell asleep and all of a sudden in a quiet moment this almighty noise emitted from him.very funny

I feel asleep watching Skyfall. My mate had to nudge me when I started snoring. In my defence the cinema was very warm and we'd been for a big pub Sunday lunch before. 

Saw Dune on Friday. Quite enjoyed it. Didn't blow me away but it was fine. Didn't feel overly long either, and generally I think any film over about 2 hours really needs to earn it's running time

On 10/25/2021 at 7:44 PM, philipsteak said:

I feel asleep watching Skyfall. My mate had to nudge me when I started snoring. In my defence the cinema was very warm and we'd been for a big pub Sunday lunch before. 

Bit like my experience of Spectre tbf as one of my friends fell asleep during it. We went at 10pm on a Friday night though, which was not the time to see it.

Edited by charlierc

Two decent looking films out today...

Really looking forward to Last Night In Soho. A departure from Edgar Wright's usually genre but it's getting superb reviews. Probably won't be able to catch it until next week.

Antlers looks alright too, and has had a huge delay due to COVID. 

7 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Two decent looking films out today...

Really looking forward to Last Night In Soho. A departure from Edgar Wright's usually genre but it's getting superb reviews. Probably won't be able to catch it until next week.

I'm looking forward Last Night In Soho too, I've got tixs booked for Monday but most of the reviews I've seen are saying it's only okay/could be better. 

• 1 month later...