Films

Rufus Gwertigan

5 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Oooh been waiting for this since the trailer came out, didn't realise it was actually out now!

Yes indeed, must have been out for a week and a half now. If you like silly black comedy then you'll enjoy it. I don't really like horror that much but it made me laugh a lot.

Need to go see the new Marvel movie now the Euros are over. And In the Heights too I guess (2.5 hours is putting me off a tad).

11 hours ago, Homer said:

Go see Freaky at the cinema. It's really funny and entertaining.

I saw that last year, it's better than it has the right to be. It's basically Freaky Friday meets horror slasher and the director also made Happy Death Day which was Groundhog Day meets horror slasher so he's probably gonna knock out some more of these horror films spliced with a comedy film which I'm actually looking forward to. Four Weddings And A Funeral with a horror twist, Dude Where's My Car with a horror twist, Bridget Jones's Diary with a horror twist, Dora The Explorer with a horror twist etc 😜

42 minutes ago, jump said:

I saw that last year, it's better than it has the right to be. It's basically Freaky Friday meets horror slasher and the director also made Happy Death Day which was Groundhog Day meets horror slasher so he's probably gonna knock out some more of these horror films spliced with a comedy film which I'm actually looking forward to. Four Weddings And A Funeral with a horror twist, Dude Where's My Car with a horror twist, Bridget Jones's Diary with a horror twist, Dora The Explorer with a horror twist etc 😜

I've always felt there's space for an American Pie meets slasher movie somewhere. 

Echoing the Freaky love. I watched it last year on the internet, and then actually went back and watched it at the pictures last week cuz I enjoyed it so much. It nails every type of thing it's going for, from the horror, to the high school bullying drama, and the classic Freaky Friday walk-a-mile-in-someone-else's-shoes dynamic comedy pathos. Funny it came out the same weekend as Fear Street 1994, and despite being set now, it gets the 90s school drama feeling exactly right, unlike the netflix one. Kathryn Newton is so great at the sweet but down in the mouth character.

I'm hoping they roll both characters into the Universal Monsters avengers style crossover they've been planning for years, but which has now changed from Tom Cruise and Johnny Depp, to Elizabeth Moss's Invisible Woman and who knows who else. Let the market decide!

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, jump said:

I've not really been following this but are people angry at it like that female Ghostbuster film?

Dunno, only noticed the trailer on social media yesterday. Think people are less angry as it has been written and directed by Jason Reitman (Ivan’s son).

Amuses me that it looks like it’s trying to ape a TV series that itself was a pastiche of various classic 80’s films, including the original Ghostbusters.

On 9/10/2012 at 7:55 PM, Spindles said:

I agree rufus. 2 friends who wanted to see Dredd turned it down as they won't watch in 3d (both cite headaches). My local cinema run a 2d version of films a few weeks after the 3d version Garde Meubles Marseille, I waited and watched prometheus in 2d.

They therefore missed a great opportunity to have a unique experience.

Edited by valentindu28

Had some time off last week so made use of my Cineworld Unlimited card (seeing Stillwater tonight, although Amanda Knox’s angry tweet about it has left me wondering about whether it should have been made…)

Old - interesting premise but the execution, script and acting (from a talented cast) left a lot to be desired.

The Suicide Squad - fun, brainless nonsense. Reminded me of James Gunn’s earlier work, Slither.

Jungle Cruise - a throwback to Indiana Jones/Romancing the Stone. Felt it lost its way a bit towards the end. Would have preferred Giamatti and Plemons as the sole antagonists. They were having a great time!

On 7/28/2021 at 8:33 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Dunno, only noticed the trailer on social media yesterday. Think people are less angry as it has been written and directed by Jason Reitman (Ivan’s son).

Amuses me that it looks like it’s trying to ape a TV series that itself was a pastiche of various classic 80’s films, including the original Ghostbusters.

It's seemingly gone completely Stranger Things and ignored the fact that Ghostbusters is/was a comedy. If you have to diverge that much from the theme of the original source material then you really should leave well alone. 

• 4 weeks later...

I rewatched the OG trilogy over the past couple of weeks, with the first one still holding up incredibly well, and the other two not being as good but each having their moments (especially the second - car chase is still awesome) and being better than I remember. 

Not sure what to think of this trailer. Really want this to be great, but I’m not totally sold. Looks visually amazing, but could very easily turn out to be a load of shite. Also, when I see Keanu with his long hair and beard I just think John Wick now (the fourth of which he shot alongside this which probably explains why he couldn’t change his appearance): 

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I rewatched the OG trilogy over the past couple of weeks, with the first one still holding up incredibly well, and the other two not being as good but each having their moments (especially the second - car chase is still awesome) and being better than I remember. 

Not sure what to think of this trailer. Really want this to be great, but I’m not totally sold. Looks visually amazing, but could very easily turn out to be a load of shite. Also, when I see Keanu with his long hair and beard I just think John Wick now (the fourth of which he shot alongside this which probably explains why he couldn’t change his appearance): 

No Hugo Weaving is a bummer, when thinking about The Matrix he pops up in my mind before Laurence Fishburne and Keanu.

I may see it depending on reviews but it just does seem like their movies keep flopping so they have gone back to The Matrix for a sure fire hit. It's a shame as the first one is so perfect which didn't need sequels as they literally tell you they won in the end so when you see how that victory is such a convoluted shit show it kinda ruins everything.

At least Jessica Henwick is in it and she is awesome in everything she is in even if it's crap like Iron Fist so it might be worth it for her.

The first is a classic absolutely perfect for its time, the others tried to explore some complex ideas on life and existence but got a little bogged down. I'll be very surprised if this isn't the usual paint by numbers production for the Chinese market of explosions and special effects but very little depth.