Films

Rufus Gwertigan

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Again with Nolan I'm not convinced it is direct racism. He is a middle class white guy who probably grew up surrounded by other white guys. I'm sure that's hugely influential on how they write.

Yeah, it systematic racism as opposed to being a neo Nazi but it’s one thing creating a character and defaulting them to white, it’s another to take a non-white character and turning white. 

Edited by jump

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bother you all but can someone please tell me what Tenet is going on about? Or point me at a reliable web explanation to avoid spoilers.

I enjoyed it at the time I was watching it (usually a safe bet with Nolan) but now on reflection I suspect I've been had and its really complete bollox.

20 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Sorry to bother you all but can someone please tell me what Tenet is going on about? Or point me at a reliable web explanation to avoid spoilers.

I enjoyed it at the time I was watching it (usually a safe bet with Nolan) but now on reflection I suspect I've been had and its really complete bollox.

The funny thing is, I came to that conclusion a few films ago, but actually quite enjoyed Tenet. The problem is, I sort of have a notion of what was going on and what it was all about, but if I actually try to think about it or explain it, it all just sort of fades and makes less sense. 

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

The funny thing is, I came to that conclusion a few films ago, but actually quite enjoyed Tenet. The problem is, I sort of have a notion of what was going on and what it was all about, but if I actually try to think about it or explain it, it all just sort of fades and makes less sense. 

Very much get that. Might end up coming to the conclusion there's a high possibility that Nolan's career so far is one cracking performance from Heath Ledger with the rest just waffle and dramatic music.

18 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Very much get that. Might end up coming to the conclusion there's a high possibility that Nolan's career so far is one cracking performance from Heath Ledger with the rest just waffle and dramatic music.

Funnily enough, it was The Dark Knight that did it. Still remember going to see it on the first night it opened, bunch of mates, packed cinema. Blown away by it. Then a few weeks later I happened to be staying in a city with an IMAX so went to watch it again. The IMAX scenes were impressive, and Heath Ledger too obviously but I had a nagging feeling that there wasn't that much to the rest of it. Then a few months after that we got the DVD and watched it on our not great TV at home. Without the spectacle, there was just not very much there. And that's pretty much how I've felt about his films since

22 hours ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

I thought the same about Inception. 10 mins in I was thinking "Oh they're doing the Next Generation holodeck within a holodeck episode". A big bowl of nothing. 

21 hours ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

First Batman was excellent, as was the first 45 mins of the 2nd one. The rest is tripe.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

I thought the same about Inception. 10 mins in I was thinking "Oh they're doing the Next Generation holodeck within a holodeck episode". A big bowl of nothing. 

First Batman was excellent, as was the first 45 mins of the 2nd one. The rest is tripe.

Nolan movies-  very flash, ridiculously noisy and you cant hear half of what the actors are saying. Rest is bollox.

And that goes for Tenet but on steroids.

Being a horror fan and not leaving the house much like everyone else I have set myself a challenge for October to watch 31 horror films with a specific theme for each one. I came up with the following list;

1. - A horror from the year you were born
  2. - Found footage (or computer screen)
  3. - A third film in a franchise
  4. - Nature fights back
  5. - Horror and politics
  6. - Creepy clowns
  7. - Bottle episode (set in one location)
  8. - Italian horror
  9. - Horror from a typically non horror director
  10. - Saturn award best horror winner
  11. - Back to the 70s
  12. - Sci fi horror
  13. - A slasher without a sequel
  14. - Horror in the home
  15. - A book adaptation that isn't Stephen King
  16. - A horror with at least one Oscar nomination
  17. - A horror with a 12a or less rating
  18. - Back to the 60s
  19. - Witchcraft, magic or mysticism horror
  20. - Horror of the mind
  21. - South Korean horror
  22. - A remake
  23. - Back to the 90s
  24. - Horror with a female antagonist
  25. - Thrill Me - Something with Tom Atkins
  26. - British horror
  27. - Back to the 80s
  28. - A horror in the winter
  29. - A monster movie
  30. - Horror involving drug or substance abuse
  31. - Your favourite horror

If there is interest it might be fun for those taking part to report back here with what you watch, what you thought, recommendations etc. One film a day would make most sense but I know I'll be busier on some days more than others so will take a more flexible approach.

I'm watching any Disney animation studios release on Disney+ that I hadn't previously seen. It's mostly been ones from the 40s that were anthologies, made while the main animators were off at war. The Mr Toad one is great, and the accompanying Sleepy Hollow cartoon has a brute who they definitely brought back as Gaston 60 years later. Other than those very old ones, there were a few 80s ones like the Great Mouse Detective and also Black Cauldron, which I hadn't even heard of, but apparently nearly bankrupt Disney - I'm not surprised given how dull it was. Although there was this weird dog creature that tried to strangle a man, and had the exact same voice as Smeagol from Lord of the Rings.

Not looking forward to any I swerved at the pictures at the time, such as Meet the Robinsons and Bolt.

5 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Not looking forward to any I swerved at the pictures at the time, such as Meet the Robinsons and Bolt.

It's amazing with modern animation how the hits really do sustain in mainstream culture and have a lasting impact, often with follow ups, franchises etc. Then the rest are genuinely forgotten about completely and almost never mentioned. Other big, mainstream releases that don't do well usually end up being notoriously bad either critically or financially (usually both) yet with animated films for the most part it's either a massive hit or just disappears completely into the ether.

9 hours ago, Padjeq said:

I'm watching any Disney animation studios release on Disney+ that I hadn't previously seen. It's mostly been ones from the 40s that were anthologies, made while the main animators were off at war. The Mr Toad one is great, and the accompanying Sleepy Hollow cartoon has a brute who they definitely brought back as Gaston 60 years later. Other than those very old ones, there were a few 80s ones like the Great Mouse Detective and also Black Cauldron, which I hadn't even heard of, but apparently nearly bankrupt Disney - I'm not surprised given how dull it was. Although there was this weird dog creature that tried to strangle a man, and had the exact same voice as Smeagol from Lord of the Rings.

I think Bolt is fine. Wouldn't watch it again, but enjoyed it enough.

18 hours ago, kingbadger said:

It's amazing with modern animation how the hits really do sustain in mainstream culture and have a lasting impact, often with follow ups, franchises etc. Then the rest are genuinely forgotten about completely and almost never mentioned. Other big, mainstream releases that don't do well usually end up being notoriously bad either critically or financially (usually both) yet with animated films for the most part it's either a massive hit or just disappears completely into the ether.

Disney's most beloved films are Princess ones. Even Lion King fits this model. No wonder Frozen made so much bank.

10 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Disney's most beloved films are Princess ones. Even Lion King fits this model. No wonder Frozen made so much bank.

I honestly believe most Disney pixar films are works of art, that in many different ways can appeal to anyone. Disney's core films are aimed mainly at children in my opinion however, not that that means they can't be enjoyed by adults