Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Finally got round to Midsommar this week. Really liked it. Really weird, really creepy, very good folk horror. And Florence Pugh just exceptional as always

Big improvement on Hereditary I though. Ii want that impressed when I saw that. Few interesting moments, but over all pretty unsatisfying. 

On 4/3/2020 at 1:12 PM, fred quimby said:

Watched Platform (on Netflix)

Man that has many levels (excuse the pun, was meant). I had a couple of drinks and a little bit tired when I watch so will have to try again but wonderfully weird and great to be able to talk about different theories relating to it.

It certainly makes for dark viewing. It's one of those I will have to watch a couple of times to get. 

On 4/14/2020 at 7:38 PM, Slugworth said:

Invisible man. Excellent film 

Yeah went in to this with pretty low expectations but I thought it was great, especially for a mainstream horror film. Really cool modern take on a well worn story, and some genuine shock/horror moments pulled off very well. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve spent all of today on the couch watching Star Trek films. Undiscovered Country is really underrated imo, I actually preferred it over Wrath Of Khan, the reboot and First Contact which are the more popular ones. I’m not keen on Into Darkness at all, the Klingons look terrible and the Khan plot twist was weak.

Its a shame they never did a Deep Space Nine film.

2 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I watched Gerald's Game on Netflix. Its a psychological thriller by Stephen King and it does not disappoint. 

The sight of blood makes me pretty nauseous and I watched this film whilst already feeling slightly under the weather and I full on lost all colour and passed out after getting up to get a drink during that particularly gruesome scene. 

Great film otherwise.

• 3 months later...
On 4/4/2020 at 12:42 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Rewatched Ocean's trilogy, love 11 & 13 but 12 was a stinker, don't remember it being so bad from my youth.

If I recall correctly, didn't Soderbergh only make 13 because 12 was so crap? I only saw it once and just remember it being the worst thing I've ever seen. 11 and 13 are great movies when you just fancy something fun, slick and completely aware of its own ridiculousness. 

9 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Went to the pictures on sunday to watch Tenet. Enjoyable, each set piece is exciting, but none of it makes sense either in the moment or in relation to itself. Unfortunate is the person who thinks the film is just too clever for them.

I’m a Nolan fan despite being well aware of his many faults as a director/writer, but man, I just didn’t enjoy this one at all. Joyless, exposition led, overly convoluted but also complete nonsense, and I just didn’t care about any of the characters, and whilst the whole backwards/forwards aspect had a few cool moments, I don’t think it was implemented nearly as well as it could’ve been. 

Also, the sound mixing was terrible. When a film is this dialogue driven and exposition led, you should probably be able to hear what the characters are talking about instead of background noise and ominous music blaring over the top.

15 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m a Nolan fan despite being well aware of his many faults as a director/writer, but man, I just didn’t enjoy this one at all. Joyless, exposition led, overly convoluted but also complete nonsense, and I just didn’t care about any of the characters, and whilst the whole backwards/forwards aspect had a few cool moments, I don’t think it was implemented nearly as well as it could’ve been. 

Also, the sound mixing was terrible. When a film is this dialogue driven and exposition led, you should probably be able to hear what the characters are talking about instead of background noise and ominous music blaring over the top.

I thought the same thing about the sound. I was watching in in IMAX, and there's no reason for dialogue to be so muddy when they make sure the whistle of a bullet is pitch perfect. The way the film treated dialogue, I'd think it was intentional. Exposition heavy dialogue read out by an off screen character (within a scene we were just present in) as the protagonist does something noisy and confusing. It's a magician's distraction technique to hide the nonsense set-up for the next setpiece.

2 things I keep thinking about.

1. There's now 2 Elizabeth Debicki's in the world now? do they have to force the one on the boat with the son to go back through the machine now? or do they just kill her and let the Debicki who has been through the rigmarole take over?

2. The protagonist getting into the exact same tac gear as the backwards man he fought, then going back to the same place and time he fought him, and then not realising until afterwards that it was he himself who was the backwards man. What a dimwit.

Edited by Padjeq

32 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Finn became embarrassing in the last film. Went from being a really interesting character in the first film who could’ve had a great arc to just being a side guy who shouted ‘REY!!’ every time he was on screen. Not surprised he’s speaking out on it - good on him. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Finn became embarrassing in the last film. Went from being a really interesting character in the first film who could’ve had a great arc to just being a side guy who shouted ‘REY!!’ every time he was on screen. Not surprised he’s speaking out on it - good on him. 

Thinking about Abrams past work I can't think of many great non white characters he has written.  I'm not suggesting he is racist, but maybe the fact that as a white person with a fairly privileged upbringing maybe there are certain characters that come more naturally to him than others.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Thinking about Abrams past work I can't think of many great non white characters he has written.  I'm not suggesting he is racist, but maybe the fact that as a white person with a fairly privileged upbringing maybe there are certain characters that come more naturally to him than others.

Well he whitewashed the Native American Kahn in Star Trek. Luckily Uhura stayed black but there's no way people would accept a non-black actress for that role.

Nolan is just as bad with his Batman movies with casting white British actors to play the Middle Eastern Ra's al Ghul and South American Bane. 

28 minutes ago, jump said:

Well he whitewashed the Native American Kahn in Star Trek. Luckily Uhura stayed black but there's no way people would accept a non-black actress for that role.

Nolan is just as bad with his Batman movies with casting white British actors to play the Middle Eastern Ra's al Ghul and South American Bane. 

Again with Nolan I'm not convinced it is direct racism. He is a middle class white guy who probably grew up surrounded by other white guys. I'm sure that's hugely influential on how they write.