Films

Rufus Gwertigan

19 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep was much better than it has any right to be. It was very light on subtlety, but I suppose it's still a comic book film despite being a more grounded interpretation of one, and I thought they handled the character's backstory pretty well considering it strayed from the normal Joker origins (albeit, there are a few so this was just an interesting new take). Director has said that it's a standalone and that this version of the Joker won't feature in any of the upcoming DC films but I hope he's bluffing and Joaquin is back in some form - would be a waste to not see a more developed version of this character take on Batman or something similar. 

As much as I enjoyed the film I would much rather it remained standalone. I think if this was in the same universe as a Batman film it would ruin the grounded tone. I could never believe that this interpretation of the Joker could stand against Batman as a worthy villain. To be totally honest I like the theory he isn't the Joker at all and just a man with mental illness who influenced the Joker. Each to your own!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't overly impressed with The Joker, it was decent but from the controversary of encouraging gun violence, it's commentary of poverty & mental health issues and being called a masterpiece it all seem so overblown and it wouldn't get this noticed if it wasn't for just slapping the Joker name on it.

I don't really like this take on The Joker in the context of Batman, it doesn't feel in line or that fresh. I've seen ideas just not in film before and he seems too stupid and clumsy to be a foe on par with Batman, as well as he'd be in his 70s if he were.

Has anyone seen 'Ready Or Not'? I really enjoyed it, tonally very like 'Cabin In The Woods' - if you didn't like that you wouldn't like this. Thought the lead was really strong and the film was a fresh take on the genre. 

I saw the new Terminator last night. It's a direct sequel to T2 and is actually pretty good. Strong performances and wipes out all the mediocre stuff that's come since! 

Zombieland: Double Tap was decent enough but essentially more of the same. The mid credits scene is brilliant though. 

I'm tempted to go and see Gemini Man despite the negative press; set to make a $75 million loss.

6 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Has anyone seen 'Ready Or Not'? I really enjoyed it, tonally very like 'Cabin In The Woods' - if you didn't like that you wouldn't like this. Thought the lead was really strong and the film was a fresh take on the genre. 

I saw the new Terminator last night. It's a direct sequel to T2 and is actually pretty good. Strong performances and wipes out all the mediocre stuff that's come since! 

Zombieland: Double Tap was decent enough but essentially more of the same. The mid credits scene is brilliant though. 

I'm tempted to go and see Gemini Man despite the negative press; set to make a $75 million loss.

Seen all three: really liked Zombieland, laughed my arse off all the way through; Ready or Not was very funny and she was awesome; Terminator was surprisingly good, possibly helped by the fact I was expecting it to be rubbish. Started well but trailed off a bit.

Can't be bothered to see GM, even though I have a Cineworld card and can effectively watch it for free!

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Seen all three: really liked Zombieland, laughed my arse off all the way through; Ready or Not was very funny and she was awesome; Terminator was surprisingly good, possibly helped by the fact I was expecting it to be rubbish. Started well but trailed off a bit.

Can't be bothered to see GM, even though I have a Cineworld card and can effectively watch it for free!

Yeah, I have an Odeon card and I'm much the same! I had a Cineworld card for 16 years but they closed my closest Cineworld, so I cancelled it. My nearest Odeon is a Luxe and it's spot on! 

Doctor Sleep is my next one I think.

15 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Yeah, I have an Odeon card and I'm much the same! I had a Cineworld card for 16 years but they closed my closest Cineworld, so I cancelled it. My nearest Odeon is a Luxe and it's spot on! 

Doctor Sleep is my next one I think.

What’s the odeon offer please? They closed my local too! I drive past two on the way home from work though. 

Wanted to see the shining on Friday but was too late to fit with our dinner plans sadly (8pm).

30 minutes ago, Homer said:

What’s the odeon offer please? They closed my local too! I drive past two on the way home from work though. 

Wanted to see the shining on Friday but was too late to fit with our dinner plans sadly (8pm).

The Odeon one is very similar to the Cineworld one before it's goes 'Platinum'. It's £17.99 a month unlimited, 10% off food and drink in the cinema. It covers standard screenings and Luxe cinemas, but 3D or iSense is a £2 uplift.

I have two young kids and the Odeon by me always puts late films (11pm onwards) on on a Friday and Saturday - peak time for Dads!

8 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

The Odeon one is very similar to the Cineworld one before it's goes 'Platinum'. It's £17.99 a month unlimited, 10% off food and drink in the cinema. It covers standard screenings and Luxe cinemas, but 3D or iSense is a £2 uplift.

I have two young kids and the Odeon by me always puts late films (11pm onwards) on on a Friday and Saturday - peak time for Dads!

Ah, cheers for that - didn't know! Will have a think, turns out I live less than two miles from one!

Not normally my type of film but I liked the look of Ready or Not from the trailer. Unfortunately no where near me is showing it. 

The Farewell is a lovely film. A Chinese extended family all go home to say goodbye to their Grandma who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Only no one's told her so she that doesn't get upset, so they make one of the cousins marry his new girlfriend as a cover story for everyone going back. Funny, moving, really well acted. It's based on a story that was originally on the This American Life podcast

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gromite said:

I know people were concerned by the Star Wars leaks, chose not to look myself. Looks clear to be another divisive film by the reviews though. Still looking forward to seeing it tomorrow, but not getting my hopes up too much

Well the last two had great critic reviews and divided fans, this has just mixed reviews so far.

The new Star Wars trilogy should be shown to school kids as an example of what happens when you don't plan things out. This new one was the most hilarious baffling mess just trying to scrape together some kind of meaningfulness to the whole ordeal but actually throwing away 42 years of story in the process. 

Sure hope Cats is better 😄

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The new Star Wars trilogy should be shown to school kids as an example of what happens when you don't plan things out. This new one was the most hilarious baffling mess just trying to scrape together some kind of meaningfulness to the whole ordeal but actually throwing away 42 years of story in the process. 

Sure hope Cats is better 😄

I reckon you can quite happily treat the end of The Last Jedi as the end of the saga tbh. It ties up pretty much everybody's story arc very neatly and it's fucking great.

I don't know why people are complaining it's thrown away 40 years of story, it's always been a dud of consistently and planning. Luke and Leila being siblings despite being set up for a romantic angle, the force is actually midi-chlorians, The Force Awakens undoing the rebels winning in Return Of The Jed etc

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Why?

Blind hope more than anything.

So many things wrong with it IMO, Palpatine for one thing,  returning so long after Return of The Jedi and basically undoing the ending of that film. 

Character development was pretty much non existent, some characters only had 1 or 2 lines. 

They didn't know what to do for the best with Leia, the passing back and forth of the saber was weird. 

It's almost as if they completely tried to undo a lot of Last Jedi. 

Kylo/Ben was the best part of the film but Rey's arc felt a bit weird and we still have a lot of unanswered questions. 

I still enjoyed it but it could have been so much better. 

Overall i enjoyed it, which ultimately is the main thing. 

I do think it was a mess though, and the first half felt very rushed. I think JJ probably planned to have palpatine more involved in the second film, then Rian Johnson decided to go more of his own way. 

I think they exaggerated things more than they needed to, Sith Fleet, the emperors powers etc. Even with that, i really enjoyed the second half, especially Kylo's arc. 

I think i just allow Star Wars to get away with more than other films, as i enjoy the world they've created. 

4 hours ago, Doug85 said:

Blind hope more than anything.

Same although since Attack of the Clones my expectations have been extremely low. Lets not forget how bad that movie actually was.

3 hours ago, Gromite said:

Overall i enjoyed it, which ultimately is the main thing. 

I do think it was a mess though, and the first half felt very rushed. I think JJ probably planned to have palpatine more involved in the second film, then Rian Johnson decided to go more of his own way. 

I think they exaggerated things more than they needed to, Sith Fleet, the emperors powers etc. Even with that, i really enjoyed the second half, especially Kylo's arc. 

I think i just allow Star Wars to get away with more than other films, as i enjoy the world they've created. 

Pretty much how I felt about it. Enjoyed it but it was a mess. Sharks jumping all over the place.