Films

Rufus Gwertigan

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:17 PM, Homer said:

Anyone seen Eight Grade yet? Saw it almost a week ago and I think I've just stopped crying! Highly recommended.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eighth_grade

Sacked off the Avengers to catch it (reckon endgame will prob hang around the cinema screens a tad longer!), so going to see that on Thurs with the wife.

Fantastic film, that and mid90s are two great films about adolescence to come out this year.

Rented Godzilla (2014) last night. The opening act is fantastic but the film hits a lull midway through. Absolutely crazy to kill off Cranston's character that early. Godzilla needed more screen time too. I liked the way Godzilla looked but the MUTOs were a bit shitty looking.

I enjoyed the halo jump scene too.

Going to watch Kong: Skull Island next, it's free on Prime at the moment & I believe the next Godzilla is right around the corner, it looks bonkers!

10 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Rented Godzilla (2014) last night. The opening act is fantastic but the film hits a lull midway through. Absolutely crazy to kill off Cranston's character that early. Godzilla needed more screen time too. I liked the way Godzilla looked but the MUTOs were a bit shitty looking.

I enjoyed the halo jump scene too.

Going to watch Kong: Skull Island next, it's free on Prime at the moment & I believe the next Godzilla is right around the corner, it looks bonkers!

I'm hoping the new Godzilla film isn't like the other one where all the kaiju are hiding around corners, blurred out of focus etc. It defeats the point of having huge monsters destroying and fighting if you can't see what the fuck they are doing.

Just now, jump said:

I'm hoping the new Godzilla film isn't like the other one where all the kaiju are hiding around corners, blurred out of focus etc. It defeats the point of having huge monsters destroying and fighting if you can't see what the fuck they are doing.

It did feel like they were teasing us a bit too much with that. Everytime it looked like we were about to get a huge fight scene the human characters went around a corner and we followed them, rather than the monsters. It needed more of a balance between the two.

29 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

It did feel like they were teasing us a bit too much with that. Everytime it looked like we were about to get a huge fight scene the human characters went around a corner and we followed them, rather than the monsters. It needed more of a balance between the two.

Yeah, I remember the analogy I used at the time was it's like fucking but you're not being allowed to cum. Still a decent flick though.

I enjoyed Kong: Skull Island but it felt a little over stuffed with characters. Kong looked great but again, the enemy monsters looked naff.

It seemed quite a good move to have it during Vietnam conflict, a bit of commentary on US foreign policy. 

It'll be interesting to see why it's Godzilla vs Kong and how that happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So Spider-Man is looking like he is back out of the MCU as Sony and Disney can't agree terms on a new deal. Tom Holland is still contracted to Sony for it though. 

And... The Matrix 4 is green lit with Keanu Reeves and some of the original cast on board.

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I love Tarantino... Love him!

But that was shite.

Come on what did you expect? He’s always light on plot, the ultimate vignette director and he delivered that in spades. His films are always just a love letter to whatever genre he focuses on and this was a glorious look at the so-called Hollywood golden age. Better than Basterds and Hateful Eight (which I’m not a lover of). Massive similarities to Django, in storytelling and payoff. Pitt and DiCaprio make a great double act. 

9 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

Come on what did you expect? He’s always light on plot, the ultimate vignette director and he delivered that in spades. His films are always just a love letter to whatever genre he focuses on and this was a glorious look at the so-called Hollywood golden age. Better than Basterds and Hateful Eight (which I’m not a lover of). Massive similarities to Django, in storytelling and payoff. Pitt and DiCaprio make a great double act. 

There were some good, even great, moments - Pitt on the farm was a great scene and as you say the relationship between him and Di Caprio was strong... I just couldn't warm to it. I found it to be too long and self-indulgent, the good stuff was interspersed with long stretches of nothing.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

I find Tarantino hit and miss. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds all great. The rest I can leave. Some of them are complete shite. Django and Hateful Eight in particular. Dogshit.  

I'd put Jackie Brown and From Dusk til Dawn (not a "good" film as such, but good fun. Saying that, I don't think I've watched it sober or earlier than 2am) in the first group but other than that I'd have to agree. 

14 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

I'm with you on Hollywood. It's a perfect hangout film and I was lost in the time, the setting and the characters. Didn't feel the length at all.

• Upvote 1

tarrantino is a piece of shit but I actually enjoyed this one more than any of his films since pulp fiction ... though that's not saying much 

new one has a cool vibe, but didn't go anywhere. all of robbie/pitt/di caprio's solo bits were well performed, but there was also a lot of dead weight like you usually get in his movies

I just went to see 'Crawl' whilst it was still on. Enjoyable enough for what it is - although the alligators are very obviously CGI and you question how much punishment one character can take!

On another note: the Joker film with Joaquin Phoenix is getting rave reviews from the Venice Film Festival - excited for that one. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Luke Routledge said:

Went to see Joker last night. Such a good and well made film. I had my doubts when it was announced from the guy who directed the hangover but it proved me wrong! Should really put Phoenix in the Oscar race. 

Yep was much better than it has any right to be. It was very light on subtlety, but I suppose it's still a comic book film despite being a more grounded interpretation of one, and I thought they handled the character's backstory pretty well considering it strayed from the normal Joker origins (albeit, there are a few so this was just an interesting new take). Director has said that it's a standalone and that this version of the Joker won't feature in any of the upcoming DC films but I hope he's bluffing and Joaquin is back in some form - would be a waste to not see a more developed version of this character take on Batman or something similar. 

8 hours ago, Luke Routledge said:

Went to see Joker last night. Such a good and well made film. I had my doubts when it was announced from the guy who directed the hangover but it proved me wrong! Should really put Phoenix in the Oscar race. 

The HBO series Chernobyl was made by the guy who wrote The Hangover 2! Not even The Hangover. But 2.