Films

Rufus Gwertigan

1 hour ago, djdavejohnson said:

Saw Captain Marvel last night in one of those 4dx screenings - anyone tried it? I thought it was quite cool as a one-off treat. Loved the film, just a few weeks now until new Avengers!

Yeah I thought it was pretty good, it's a tad too much of straight forward origin movie considering the last slate of Marvel movies were more experimental and out near but it's still very enjoyable.

The young Samuel L Jackson effect was amazing, how Marvel keep doing it their movies and never get an Oscar special effects award it is shocking. 

2 hours ago, jump said:

Yeah I thought it was pretty good, it's a tad too much of straight forward origin movie considering the last slate of Marvel movies were more experimental and out near but it's still very enjoyable.

The young Samuel L Jackson effect was amazing, how Marvel keep doing it their movies and never get an Oscar special effects award it is shocking. 

I guess with a load of new characters to be introduced over the coming films this may be the way they go? As someone that's really only got into superhero films over the last 12 months or so, the back stories really help with my understanding and I have to say personally I enjoy a good origin movie!

Yes props to the young Samuel L Jackson effect! I liked how part of his back story was woven into it too. And agreed that does amaze me, maybe Marvel will finally get one someday soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Hate living in a town that only has one cinema screen. I've missed loads of movies this past year due to the fact I have to travel around 30 miles to see them.

Sorry for your loss. In the meantime you may have missed the Star Wars films which are awful films and you can get more pleasure having your nipples ripped off and shoved up your arse on a hot poker. (Diane. The safeword is Diane)

25 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Hate living in a town that only has one cinema screen. I've missed loads of movies this past year due to the fact I have to travel around 30 miles to see them.

I feel your pain about travelling to the cinema. I live in London where I have to walk an unbearable 10 mins to my nearest cinema from my place and the second closest is an even more excruciating 15 min walk in the opposite direction! :P

1 hour ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Sorry for your loss. In the meantime you may have missed the Star Wars films which are awful films and you can get more pleasure having your nipples ripped off and shoved up your arse on a hot poker. (Diane. The safeword is Diane)

I did miss The Last Jedi. Enjoyed the others though.

1 hour ago, jump said:

I feel your pain about travelling to the cinema. I live in London where I have to walk an unbearable 10 mins to my nearest cinema from my place and the second closest is an even more excruciating 15 min walk in the opposite direction! :P

I've been made redundant at work and want to finally get away from my hometown, need to move somewhere that actually has stuff happening all the time.

I'd probably go a few times a month if I had a screen down the road.

On 3/21/2019 at 4:10 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

I did miss The Last Jedi. Enjoyed the others though.

I've been made redundant at work and want to finally get away from my hometown, need to move somewhere that actually has stuff happening all the time.

I'd probably go a few times a month if I had a screen down the road.

Get a Cineworld pass. Unlimited movies for about £17 a month. Bargain!

• 4 weeks later...

Endgame Spoilers: 

Endgame was awesome. Tons of fan service and real ‘YASSSS THEY SAID IT’ moments and a ridiculous amount of fake out deaths/events which is what these films is all about, and a lot of shocking twists and scenes. Didn’t see Black Widow’s death coming at all, and I was pretty sure we’d be seeing the end of one of Cap or Iron Man but was kind of surprised by both, especially with Cap (who I love as a character)’s controversial ending. Hard to imagine many big Marvel fans being disappointed in this. Really does have a feeling of finality to it that is, on reflection, pretty said (although that said, Spider-Man: Far From Home in a couple of months..) 

Just got back from the cinema seeing Avengers and on the topic of spoilers I had my missus telling me off for trying to talk about it on the tube incase I spoil it for the other passengers.

I'm very happy with the flick. The time travel thing to visit past films was a great idea (although why choose Thor Dark World of all things) and the bit with Chris Pratt being watched without the background music was a great laugh. I know everyone's favourite fist pump moment is gonna be Cap picking Mjolnir but I really liked all of the characters just popping out just before the big battle. I loved Cap's ending with Peggy, I was a fan of the Agent Carter show so it was satisfying as a fan of both. 

Captain Marvel was bit of waste, she didn't really add much to it and I'm not too keen on what they did with Hulk.

Also did I miss it but what happened to Gamora in the end?

Edited by jump

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Wow we've all avoided talking about it ?

Spider-Man: Far From Home trailer 2 just dropped. I think we now know how x-men will eventually make their way in.

They can’t “multiverse” approx 1000 characters into the main story...

I thought Endgame was alright, not amazing. Some bits good, some bits bad. It certainly could have been cut down from 3 hours.

On 4/25/2019 at 11:31 PM, jump said:

Just got back from the cinema seeing Avengers and on the topic of spoilers I had my missus telling me off for trying to talk about it on the tube incase I spoil it for the other passengers.

Hide contents

I'm very happy with the flick. The time travel thing to visit past films was a great idea (although why choose Thor Dark World of all things) and the bit with Chris Pratt being watched without the background music was a great laugh. I know everyone's favourite fist pump moment is gonna be Cap picking Mjolnir but I really liked all of the characters just popping out just before the big battle. I loved Cap's ending with Peggy, I was a fan of the Agent Carter show so it was satisfying as a fan of both. 

Captain Marvel was bit of waste, she didn't really add much to it and I'm not too keen on what they did with Hulk.

Also did I miss it but what happened to Gamora in the end?

I thought the time travel into past films worked great as a concept, but was overdone slightly. The Thor 2 bits felt almost as tedious as the original film did, and got the most service of all of them. The individual ends were a mixed bag, Cap was good, but I thought the Thor + Guardians one dragged and lacked wit. His conversation with Valkyrie was much more meaningful if it had been left more open

Captain Marvel was a complete waste, they've made her such a Mary Sue I can't see who can challenge her in an engaging way, and her appearances felt tangential and uninspiring.

I didn't mind what they did with Hulk, I thought the throwback to Avengers 1 where he's not-really-smashing things enough was great, and seeing Banner as an expert scientist through most of the film, while showing the different fields as meaningful was good.

3 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Wow we've all avoided talking about it ?

Spider-Man: Far From Home trailer 2 just dropped. I think we now know how x-men will eventually make their way in.

I'm not keen on the idea of The X-Men being in the same universe as Marvel/Avengers. The main gimmick of mutants being feared because of the powers goes against superheroes being celebrated. If they do use X-Men in the same universe hope it's more akin to the recent comics where Cyclops is a dick movement leader. 

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I thought Endgame was alright, not amazing. Some bits good, some bits bad. It certainly could have been cut down from 3 hours.

Hide contents

I thought the time travel into past films worked great as a concept, but was overdone slightly. The Thor 2 bits felt almost as tedious as the original film did, and got the most service of all of them. The individual ends were a mixed bag, Cap was good, but I thought the Thor + Guardians one dragged and lacked wit. His conversation with Valkyrie was much more meaningful if it had been left more open

Captain Marvel was a complete waste, they've made her such a Mary Sue I can't see who can challenge her in an engaging way, and her appearances felt tangential and uninspiring.

I didn't mind what they did with Hulk, I thought the throwback to Avengers 1 where he's not-really-smashing things enough was great, and seeing Banner as an expert scientist through most of the film, while showing the different fields as meaningful was good.

Yeah, she was a mary sue. I was ok with it since they were trying to make her the Marvel version of superman but it was that one bit where she takes a punch from Thanos and doesn't flinch in the slightest, after it was establish he can easily knock the likes of Hulk, Drax ect about, that you can't take her seriously. With the talk about timelines/alternative dimensions now I wouldn't be surprised if they try their hand at the rapey Marcus storyline but in a far more PC/feminist way similar to the Jessica Jones first season.

Edited by jump