Films

Rufus Gwertigan

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I liked Kubo And The Two String a lot, I found Finding Dory pretty good, I'm going to see Spirited Away in the cinema in a few weeks! That is my animation news.

Dory was great!  Don't like the look of Kubo though.  Saw Kung Fu Panda 3 on Sunday- decent enough on the Movies for Juniors deal (£5 for a family of 3). 

Storks looks pretty funny from the trailer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2016 at 2:29 PM, Winslow Leach said:

Daisy Ridley isn't exactly Ray Winstone, is she?

I think it's a combination of Daisy Ridley being a bit rougher in her demeanor and Felicity Jones being well hoighty toighty in everything we've seen thus far, plus this film trying to sell itself as more gritty than the rest of Star Wars so it sticks out more.

17 hours ago, CHRLY said:

Off to see American Honey tomorrow, let's see what the fuss is about.

I'm going with my dad on Sunday. I don't know too much about it, but the last film my dad saw in the pictures intentionally was Reservoir Dogs, so if it's got him interested there must be something to it.

It was a free screening so I can't complain. But it was nothing, to be honest. Felt in parts that it was touching at something greater but never reached any significant point. 

I do think it's fine for a film to not go anywhere in particular, but this didn't do it effectively. Also, there was far too much of people sat in a van singing along to bad rap songs. 

Way to long at 2hrs 45mins. It was a bore.

• 2 weeks later...

The trailer for T2 just caused me a genuine goosebumps moment.  Somehow capturing the identity of the first film with references to today's world without just being the rehashing of old material that some had suggested.  If the film is as good as the trailer it will be quite something, those 2 stories set so far apart, the same cast, the lives in between and as long as there's a decent plot I can't see how it could go wrong.

• Upvote 1

Yeah yeah :P.  Trainspotting 2.  Which they have inexplicably called T2.

If they do as good a job of showing the grim reality of life they did in the first film then the second would be a well timed kick in the knee for people.  I've got much faith in both writer and director, so naturally I'm throwing my knickers in adoration over the whole thing.

Edited by Spindles

After a bit of a drought on interesting new films in the usual places I came across War dogs tonight.  Entertaining in the same way as Wolf of wall street or Lord of war, which it sort of sits comfortably in between.  As ever Jonah Hill shines in the role of a ludicrous character and from the moment he walks onscreen he dominates.

Watched that new(ish) Tarzan film last night, was pretty shit imo - especially considering some of the cast at it's disposal (I do like Christoph Waltz) - the cgi of the animals in action sequences werent up to scratch and the finale was atrocious.  

19 hours ago, mjsell said:

Watched that new(ish) Tarzan film last night, was pretty shit imo - especially considering some of the cast at it's disposal (I do like Christoph Waltz) - the cgi of the animals in action sequences werent up to scratch and the finale was atrocious.  

Yeah I've heard that film is pretty dreadful.

Watched The Tale of the Princess Kaguya last night. It was decent, with some very nice watercolour visuals, but not quite up to the usual high standards of Studio Ghibli. Can't put my finger on why I didn't like as much as many others though, although it could be to do with a couple of the characters. Looking forward to seeing When Marnie Was There at some point. Sadly it's probably the end of an era for that studio, as they've had a couple of deaths within the team over recent years. Such a great output though.

(I realise all the films I tend to talk about here are at last a year or two old - apologies for that!)