Films

Rufus Gwertigan

+1 for Walton Goggins getting some attention.  He's really stood out in the small character roles he's had in the past and to see him front and centre for a change is great.

I also watched The Revenant tonight, great performance from Tom Hardy and amazing cinematography which really should be seen on the big screen, this film is going to do well at the oscars in the technical categories, it's visually one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.  People were saying it would be Leo's first oscar, I don't think it will.

Yeah, I don't celebrate xmas myself but do love this time of year for all the leaked screeners.  I've got a week of 12 hour night shifts ahead of me so what little conscious time I have outside of work I'll be enjoying a few of these.

I was just grabbing Joy, coincidentally, was going to settle down in bed with a joint and a g+t and partake.

On 12/18/2015 at 9:35 AM, Barry Fish said:
  • Seriously, another death star ?

Its fine, its just bigger :D 

I liked it was a more evolved version of the Death Star, it had to something bigger and better to pose an actual threat.

3 hours ago, jump said:

Are people going back to see the cinema to watch new Star Wars again because it's actually good or just because it's Star Wars?

I think I am going give it a week or so, but yeah I wanna see this on the big screen again because its bloody ace.

I think it hit all the right notes for me, I have a few nerdy nitpicks over the story and I am not convinced I enjoyed the ending but I enjoyed it so much, it felt so much like Star Wars!

Saw it at Empire Leicester Square with its fancy new Laser Imax screen and it looks incredible on that. Apart from an occasional blue tint at the sides or if you moved your head to quick, its lot clearer/brighter than usual 3D showings.

The spoiler tags don't seem to work anymore so I can't discuss story/nitpicks :(

Edited by LondonTom

2 hours ago, jump said:

Are people going back to see the cinema to watch new Star Wars again because it's actually good or just because it's Star Wars?

Well the answer, in most cases, will be both. It's a high quality adventure film, which people want to watch again, people are in a rush to watch it again because they have a pre-existing emotional connection to. It's important to a lot of people. If it had been a bad Star Wars film, people might have still watched it again; I watched Revenge Of The Sith about four or five times because it took me that long to work out I didn't like it. At that point I had seen the OT innumerable times on VHS, Episode I once in the cinema (and I remembered it as completely amazing), and never seen Episode II, so seeing a Star Wars film in the cinema was a massive novelty that I wanted to repeat.

I thought it was great, and I'm not that big a Star Wars fan. There was only one movie that I really enjoyed from the first ones. The others are okay.

As for Cranston, he's up for Trumbo probably, and a very good shout for the win. Matt Damon might be an outside bet as The Martian is expected to do not bad, but I reckon it'll end up losing out despite lots of nominations.

Well "The Revenant" didn't disappoint. Incredible photography, superb casting, and absolutely brutal in places. Its long, but I think given the scope of the project, it wasnt over long- and it is a definite contender for the Oscars. 

Dunno if Leo will get his often speculated oscar, but if you got oscars for "suffering for your art" then he is a definite favourite.

Episode 7 is a great Star Wars. JJ did a great job. His nods to the originals and the parallels were done really well I thought. Shame he is not doing episode 8.

One thing that has been on my mind but is...........................

**Spoiler Alert**

I cant seem to find how to hide txt?? If anyone can easily say how I will hide the below txt

Anyway........................dont read if you have not seen it

Finn being able to give the the resistance detailed information on the Starkiller base? How can he, or did I miss something? OK he worked there, but how did he have detailed info? Also if he did only work in sanitation there why would he be aware of the engineering and tech details to an such an extent that he knew the weakness of the base? This means he knew an awful lot more about the Starkiller base then a guy working in sanitation should IMO. So lets say we accept that. Then he is very much aware what this base will be used for when operational..............the destruction of star systems and murder of billions of beings....................he seemingly can go along with this knowledge and even get promoted within the 1st Order, as he joins a squad of front line troopers led by Phasma that supports Kylo Ren on missions.....................but then its only when he sees a few innocent folk die at the hands of Rens orders via Phasma and his troop does he get all moral about who he is working for.................did he really not ask himself before then who he was working for and what this Starkiller base would do?

Also, the Starkiller base as an engineering project must have been the biggest thing the galaxy had ever seen and the resources and manpower it would require would have been truly truly immense. Such a project would have to take an extremely long time one would have thought. To fit it in within the 30 years that past since the Battle of Endor from concept to planning, right through to fully operational is some bloody achievement, especially considering the Empire would have been leaderless and fragmented for a bit post Endor. How does such a project go unnoticed by the New Republic and the resistance? Surely over the course of such a project information gets out about it, especially considering the level of activities that would be required to fulfill such a project? 

20 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

they aren't going to win Oscars any time soon

It's a genre/blockbuster film so that had pretty much ruined the chances for an Oscar for them regardless of how good or bad they are, they'll just give it so someone in a role with special needs, lost/gained weight and played a Nazi in an Oscar fodder film as usual.

• Upvote 2

Difficult question to answer without first watching at least episode VIII if not episode IX too. 

So many of the plot lines could be awful dependent on how they play out, but conversely could be superb. 

Having only watched it the once I'm kind of happy for now. Much depends on Rey's heritage and who Snoke really is. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Much depends on Rey's heritage and who Snoke really is. 

I think the Snoke question is obvious enough to answer and im sure the obvious answer will be the correct one and as for Rey i flip flop from one family to another and back again but she has to be from one of 2 obvious choices

45 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

I think the Snoke question is obvious enough to answer and im sure the obvious answer will be the correct one and as for Rey i flip flop from one family to another and back again but she has to be from one of 2 obvious choices

Agreed - but it has to be what was hinted at in the first half of the film, not what was hinted at in the second half, as that would be shit.