Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Watched The Shining for the very first time Saturday night and absolutely loved it, it's probably my favourite Jack Nicholson performance ever (everyone always says about The Joker, but I loved him in The Departed).

If someone could possibly tell me how to do that spoiler thing, that'd be great!

The great thing about it was I started thinking to myself

well is it him going mad or is it the hotel? Because his Mrs. starts to see weird shit too (the bear suit guy etc.)

I was also slightly confused by the very ending, the picture?

You're in for 35 years of trying to understand! Kubrick fucked about with the book so much presumably on purpose to fuck with peoples heads.

You're in for 35 years of trying to understand! Kubrick fucked about with the book so much presumably on purpose to fuck with peoples heads.

Haha I gathered this after I looked it up this morning, thought I was missing something but it seems a mystery to all! which makes it even better really!

The great thing about it was I started thinking to myself

well is it him going mad or is it the hotel? Because his Mrs. starts to see weird shit too (the bear suit guy etc.)

I was also slightly confused by the very ending, the picture?

Start researching! There is some great material about the movie. Rob Ager's videos are fantastic on the subject, his theories on the gold themes, the native american indian themes, and his insight on furniture being deliberately moved by kubrick between/during shots etc are fascinating. He also explains the impossible layout of the hotel, and other great insights - all of which appear to be deliberately put there by Kubrick to disorientate the viewer and add to the confusion.

Great example - the scenes where Jack is seen bouncing the tennis ball - each place he bounces the ball is a place where someone dies.

Jack also acts strangely when he walks past mirrors.

Agers work is fascinating.

also, there was a hollywood documentary made a couple of years ago, it has other very interesting takes on the shining, and is well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUnArP-FW4Q

beware, once you start looking - you may become a little bit obsessed!

Edited by t8yman

I'll be sure to check that out, love that kinda stuff.

I reckon this is probably one of those facts that everybody knows, but The Shining was a big target for critics when it initially came out. Loads of people took the piss out of it, it didn't make much money initially, it was a few years after the release that it was re-evaluated, after people started seeing it and loved it. As mentioned, I think it's one of those things that everybody actually knows (along the lines of the original Wicked Witch of The West getting horrible burns and being replaced by Margaret Hamilton), but you get dullards bringing it up like "hey, bet you didn't know this interested tidbit I read in a Christmas cracker". I do like that story, though, funny comment on tastemakers in popular culture before the internet, which I was born too recently to ever experience. Great film all round, if you want to really dig into a film and obsess about it then Kubrick's yer man, I find this one to be the richest to obsess over, even more than 2001.

The Shining fucking terrifies me. Great film. I should probably watch it again before giving that Room 327 a go (looks interesting). As for Kubrick, 2001 is an absolute masterpiece, Full Metal Jacket is quite good and A Clockwork Orange is a bit rubbish. Discuss.

I'm with you on these bocumaroy. But not forgetting Dr. Strangelove, Lolita and Paths of Glory in the Kubrick masterpiece round up. And Barry Lydon and Eyes Wide Shut in the bit rubbish category

Spartacus was never his film though was it? wasnt he brought in after they sacked the original director?

And

Clockwork Orange is fucking sublime. wash your mouth out.

Anthony Mann - wasn't he replaced after a few days shooting? Still more than enough to recognise Kubrick all the way through it.

Clockwork Orange has dated so badly. Looks like a BBC Play for Today now.

I'll get me coat :cheese: :cheese: