Films

Rufus Gwertigan

I watched compliance yesterday, its totally believable that it could happen. Even a basic (laymans) grasp of psychology makes it plain to see that people will act in certain ways when faced with an authority figure giving orders. He established authority very early on with most of the "victims" by telling the ones who showed a tiny bit of dissent that they had to call him "sir".

I wasn't surprised that it happened as it was portrayed, it was a perfect storm of (fairly) poorly educated people, raised in a small town, indoctrinated to unquestioningly respect authority (I'm looking at you here religion).

Bear in mind that there were over 70 reported cases of similar incidents in the states at that time.

And it really would take just one person to make it all collapse, one person to take people by the lapels and say "what the fuck are you doing?"

A very uneasy watch, but a very well made piece of film.

The true story

http://comicbook.com/2014/12/16/paramount-reportedly-wants-star-trek-3-to-feel-more-like-guardia/

! Apparently Paramount want Star Trek 3 to be like Guadians of the Galaxy, now I loved GoTG, its bloody awesome! But what the fuck?! How on earth does it suit Star Trek at all?! A) Its based on a comic book B)The protagonistsare firmly part of a massive bureaucracy/quasi military structure and not a bunch of anti heroes/criminals which is what gave GoTG its humour!

I quite liked Into Darkness, I am not a fanboy whose moaning about it taking unrealistic speeds between planets/didn't feature enough diplomacy/talking but Star Trek based on GoTG?!

I know its rumour, but I can sort of see it and it explains Orci being dropped as Director.

I thought the first Star Trek reboot film was pretty comic, with the actors playing parodies of the roles played before almost. From that point of view I really enjoyed it, the 2nd film took itself too seriously and tried to cram too many references in for my money. I'd quite happily see more of something akin to the first.

Guardians of the galaxy is a lot of fun, but any studio that tries to capitalise on it's formula is just going to look bad.

Haven't seen it. Only saw the originals. Haven't seen Benjamin Button erither. Loved everything else hes done though but the Social Network didn't register.

You dont think he's just an MTV director with a big budget? All style but feck all else.

Se7en was great - but Alien3? Benjamin Button? Panic Room? Flash kack.

I watched compliance yesterday, its totally believable that it could happen. Even a basic (laymans) grasp of psychology makes it plain to see that people will act in certain ways when faced with an authority figure giving orders. He established authority very early on with most of the "victims" by telling the ones who showed a tiny bit of dissent that they had to call him "sir".

I wasn't surprised that it happened as it was portrayed, it was a perfect storm of (fairly) poorly educated people, raised in a small town, indoctrinated to unquestioningly respect authority (I'm looking at you here religion).

Bear in mind that there were over 70 reported cases of similar incidents in the states at that time.

And it really would take just one person to make it all collapse, one person to take people by the lapels and say "what the fuck are you doing?"

A very uneasy watch, but a very well made piece of film.

The true story

Yeh I agree. The fact they were pretty low down the social ladder was crucial.

it was a while ago I watched the film, but the dude who she ended up doing "that" to, I cant remember if the film made out he was also duped to some degree, or if he just took advantage of the situation completely. Can you remind me?

Se7en is genuinely one of the greatest movies of all time if you ask me. Fight Club is excellent. The Social Network is also a terrific movie along with Gone Girl, which Fincher has to take a LOT of credit for making it all come together from what is a pretty all over the place novel, albeit still a good one. Panic Room is quite good, as is The Game and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Zodiac is a bit meh. Benjamin Button is shit.

But aye, he's certainly more than some shite MTV director. For that, look no further than Zack Snyder.

Se7en is genuinely one of the greatest movies of all time if you ask me. Fight Club is excellent. The Social Network is also a terrific movie along with Gone Girl, which Fincher has to take a LOT of credit for making it all come together from what is a pretty all over the place novel, albeit still a good one. Panic Room is quite good, as is The Game and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Zodiac is a bit meh. Benjamin Button is shit.

But aye, he's certainly more than some shite MTV director. For that, look no further than Zack Snyder.

Hmmmm. You know what - I think I stand corrected. I think in part I might well have been thinking of Zack Snyder

Zack Snyder = Sucker Punch right?

Stink that screen up...

And 300. Absolute garbage. The worst movie I've ever seen in the cinema by some distance.

Not sure something that's already down as fact before the movie can be really classed as a spoiler. That'd be like putting that the Titanic sunk in a spoiler tag.

True, but The Zodiac is not the most significant or well known event in history.

Same for, say, Boardwalk Empire. Not everyone knew about the real life gangster stories.

Edited by The Nal

Not sure something that's already down as fact before the movie can be really classed as a spoiler. That'd be like putting that the Titanic sunk in a spoiler tag.

Snape kills Dumbledore

And 300. Absolute garbage. The worst movie I've ever seen in the cinema by some distance.

Lies!!! That said I've only watched it twice, and once was when it was on the screens at an Indie Club night at Uni :P(I don't know why put they it on the screens)

Edited by LondonTom

You need to watch sin city two then.

She's the queen of the disappointing sequels.

Although it's not as bad as the critics reckoned it's not a patch on the first.

Both are Frank Miller adaptations as well, maybe there's a link, possibly that people don't want to make good films out of his work since he stopped caring who knows what a horrible person he is.

What was that one with Eva Mendes in? That was a honker as well

I assume you mean The Spirit, that was directed by Frank Miller, but adapted from source material by Will Eisner. It was a shit film, but at least it didn't seem like something made by Goebells, unlike most other things Frank's been involved in across the past 20 years.

I assume you mean The Spirit, that was directed by Frank Miller, but adapted from source material by Will Eisner. It was a shit film, but at least it didn't seem like something made by Goebells, unlike most other things Frank's been involved in across the past 20 years.

Thats the one. tedious in the extreme.

Frank Miller and Taylor Swift. A strange brew young man