Films

Rufus Gwertigan

welcome to screener season!

It is going to be hard pressed to beat screener season last year! In late December through to mid January I think I watched a quality movie every night. Django Unchained, Stand up guys, seven psychopaths, Flight and so many more :)

I have to admit I'm not really aware of what's coming up for oscar season this year, but last year was one of the best for films in my experience (and to my taste, as I'm sure others would disagree).

Agreed, curvier Wonder Woman please!

Watched Into Darkness again last night (Had the Blu-Ray for ages but haven't got round to watching it since Imax).

I still like it, I think i prefer it to TWoK but I do think its a shame they ended up making Benedict play Kahn, he could have been great as a brand new character and been a recurring adversary. They could have still done most of what they wanted to do with the film with a little tweaking to his back story so he wasn't Kahn.

The only bit that still gets me, is the "magic potion" ending. I am going to pretend that didn't happen.

t8yman is gonna complain about spoliers xD

I was disappointed with Star Trek 2, less time with all the characters which is a shame as that's what I liked most from the 1st one.

Its Star Trek, spoil away - knock yourself out - I couldn't care less about Star Trek xD

• Upvote 1

Well, think of it this way: The 1st star trek reboot movie was a triumph and the second a disjointed mess and this is the man whose hands star wars is now in.

So your saying we're going get a great Episode 7, meh Episode 8, JJ jumps ship and we end up with a fantastic Episode 9 to top this trilogy.

Just got back from watching Gravity. Definitely think it's one where loads is added by watching it at cinema.

World's end looked meh to me from the trailers anyway - typical Pegg/Frost film - ok in parts and watchable, but that's it.

It's the least-good of the Cornetto trilogy. Watchable, but This Is The End destroys it.

I'm hoping that the new Hobbit movie restores my faith in the series. My daughter believes that, viewed as a trilogy it will all pull together and the first wouldn't seem as poor and frequently pointless as part of the whole (a bit like how The Dark knight rises doesn't stand that well on it's own, but closes the trilogy well).

I'm hoping that the new Hobbit movie restores my faith in the series. My daughter believes that, viewed as a trilogy it will all pull together and the first wouldn't seem as poor and frequently pointless as part of the whole (a bit like how The Dark knight rises doesn't stand that well on it's own, but closes the trilogy well).

It's going to be a bit jarring to see all three together because of the completely different way this latest one is filmed.

I really enjoyed the first Hobbit since the riddles with Gollum was the only bit I remember from the book besides a lot of singing and the barrels. Think Gollum is always the best part so I think it's made me a bit reluctant to see this new one.

Edited by Purple Monkey

The Butler blew me away, fantastic piece of work with an amazing cast, all of whom are totally understated allowing the characters to shine through. Oprah smashes it out of the park though, definitely an oscar winning performance.

I love the genre of films which play out history from the perspective of an individual over a lifetime and this stands up well next to Forrest Gump and Benjamin Button.

Available from the usual places, of course.

Saw 47 Ronin in the cinema. Really surprisingly good.

Lots of purists have been grumping about the monsters, but I've been into the mystic end of Japanese mythology since the "Kamigawa" expansion for Magic the Gathering and it was good to see something akin to them CGI'd really nicely. And though I feared (a couple of times) they would Hollywood the ending, they didn't.

Needed much more arterial gore though.

The Butler blew me away, fantastic piece of work with an amazing cast, all of whom are totally understated allowing the characters to shine through. Oprah smashes it out of the park though, definitely an oscar winning performance.

I love the genre of films which play out history from the perspective of an individual over a lifetime and this stands up well next to Forrest Gump and Benjamin Button.

Available from the usual places, of course.

I thought it was a bit meh. Mainly because I watched 12 years a slave directly beforehand. Usual places also.