Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Holy Motors - an enjoyably surreal mind fuck, the amount of things you can read into this film is incredible

ParaNorman - Apparently they've created some machine to produce vast amounts of little heads, making this the smoothest stop animation I've ever seen. The characters (apart from the dad) are incredibly likeable, the story (though predictable-ish if you know anything about Salem) is good any pretty dark for a kids film, i've heard people compare it to Tim Burton but I'd say though Norman is similar to Burtons childhood, the film is independently great without ripping off anything

Killing The Softly - think organised crime is fun and cool? This will fix that. Dark, gripping and horrendously nasty in parts. Really enjoyed this.

Think I've just figured out what I'm going to do with my day off tomorrow!!!

Thank you sir.

Apologies in advance, but I don't think its out for a few weeks yet :(

Edited by minute5072

Being one to always have my finger on the pulse,

I saw Batman at the IMAX on sunday. Thought it was the best of the three to be honest. I'm not a big action film fan, and being a tall chap, the length of the film meant i was kind of dreading it, but i didn't feel its length nearly as much as the Dark knight did. Hardy and Bale were both excellent in it, that Gordon-Levitt dude was alright and Hathaway was tiiiiight.

One criticism, Gotham City was no where near dark or original enough. In dark knight they used Chicago, but they did enough so that it felt like a different city. This was just unashamedly New York.

Best bit though - a Michael Caine tears moment. Love it when the Caine turns on the water works.

ParaNorman - Apparently they've created some machine to produce vast amounts of little heads, making this the smoothest stop animation I've ever seen. The characters (apart from the dad) are incredibly likeable, the story (though predictable-ish if you know anything about Salem) is good any pretty dark for a kids film, i've heard people compare it to Tim Burton but I'd say though Norman is similar to Burtons childhood, the film is independently great without ripping off anything

Seriously - they're not just using Maya (spelling?) like every other animation company including Aardman then?

I used to use lightwave, the industry used max, I moved to max, the industry moves to maya. I swear, it's like I smell or something.

To be fair, things like the visual scripting system in maya (stolen by epic for unreal kismet) make it clear why it has become the industry standard. I just refuse to learn a new 3d app when max still does all I need (I'm not an animator, just modelling/skinning).

The 3d printed heads with plug in expressions idea is genius though, that kind of thinking deserves success.

Skyfall was excellent biggrin.png Some great touches to 50 years of 007.

Completely agree - really enjoyed it and was the first one where I thought Craig was a good Bond. Plenty of action, some good one liners, a bit of a hommage to the bonds of old and a great ending.

Have seen articles complaining about the amount of product placement - maybe there was, but was so engrossed in the film, I didn't really notice it! Didn't like the 35min of adverts beforehand though!