Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Just slightly off topic but it is a bug bear of mind at the moment that some cinemas choose to show a film just in 3d. I have a lazy eye and the effect does not work with my vision. In fact it can be a very uncomfortable experience for me. I did try to get a discount for Dredd but the guy was not having it.

I expect that before long the whole novelty will wear off, at least I hope so. I wish they would at least have the decency to release the 2d version at the same time as the 3d to give people a choice (by not doing so it makes it look like we want 3d, if they released both it would show that we don't). My experience with Dredd was that 2 people who would have paid money to see the film chose not to simply because it was in 3d.

I personally believe the whole 3d thing is just an excuse to sell tellies that no one really wants.

I hate how the cinemas now have limited 2D showings now that they share the schedules with 3D ones. 3D really is a big bag of shit unless it's on a big bright IMAX screen, and even then it's inferior to watching 2D on an IMAX screen.

Give me the vibrant colour, contrast range and definition of 2D IMAX any time.

3D just isn't working, and I don't see how it can work in the long term. It is used primarily for turning blockbusters into fairground rides, which isn't as universally appealing or loaded with as much potential as 2D film. It's just too against nature - we will all need upgrades to our eyes and connections to our brains to get rid of that nagging discomfort; our DNA doesn't like it.

It is an industrial move. It's purely about money. It's so sickeningly cynical.

Edited by Purple Monkey

The thing is, I don't think I know a single person who would disagree with anything any of us have said.

3d is not wanted by the cinema going public, it actively discourages a section of the viewers from attending and degrades the experience in many ways (eyestrain, headaches, difficulty for anyone who wears glasses, reduction of image quality overall, etc..).

Fucking avatar. I blame you entirely. Even though I enjoyed you. Bitch.

Drokk It!!!

How does Dredd work in 2D? I can't imagine it. It was filmed specially in 3D at that crazy frame rate (4,000 frames per second - film is usually 24fps) to create the images of being on Slo-mo - mmmmmkay

Without it the cinematography of the film is lost, and that's far and away the best bit. The film is a 3D film (one that properly explores the genre) - it's what the director and cameraman intended it's part of the film, it is the film - it would be akin to taking the space scenes out of 2001 to remove the 3D. Avatar wasn't properly filmed in 3d parts of it were made 3d later but this is properly designed for 3D - without it the film doesn't stand as film but merely a story.

so many films are all about the effects, so in a way, it's just a continuation of that, isn't it?

give me a credible story with some interesting and/or funny characters anyday.

Good job you weren't around at the birth of cinema or it may never have happened. Melies films had fantastic storylines, crazy effects (a rocket in the eye of the moon - FFS!) and little or no character development.

I'm basically saying I fundamentally disagree with you about what film is about, case in point Samsara. We read books, or listen to stories for credible tales and interesting characters - those can be held in those mediums.

But celluloid is all about the visuals and the escape - give me huge vistas, special effects, emotive sights and sounds, and with neither narrative or characterisation the image can make me feel the emotions - make me hold my breath, laugh or cry - often the best films achieve this moment without a 'spoken' word.

• Upvote 1

this conversation has been done to death. 3D is what the movie industry has come up with to distract itself from the reality of the fact that a lot of people do not want to go to the cinema, and it is also their skewed method of dealing with the "piracy issue", which could more easily be dealt with by issuing their movies day and date on digital distribution. it makes no sense to continue on the path they are on, the world has changed. the music industry has finally begun to face reality. people will download their stuff for free in an inferior format unless they offer a better product at a fair price. if TDKR was available to hire on xbox live or playstation network on the day of release, in full 1080p, for lets say £19.99, it would have had the biggest box office opening weekend in history by a country mile.

but anyway, back to 3D, wasnt there a kids film not so long back tha had a better box office in 2d than in 3d? on an equal amount of screens over an equal time period. that speaks volumes.

but anyway, back to 3D, wasnt there a kids film not so long back tha had a better box office in 2d than in 3d? on an equal amount of screens over an equal time period. that speaks volumes.

Not just one. Several. And its a declining trend too.

When Toy Story 3 was released, the opening weekend box office take was over sixty percent 3D viewings and the 3D revenue from the entire run was responsible for 56 percent of all revenue. Moving ahead in time, 3D revenue from the opening weekend of Cars 2 was 40 percent of the total revenue. Even more recently, 3D viewings during the opening weekend of Brave only accounted for 32 percent of all revenue.

Beyond Pixar, Dreamworks Animation is seeing a similar trend. 3D viewings of Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted only accounted for 38 percent of the revenue collected during the opening weekend.

Edited by The Nal

But then what percentage of screens are able to show (proper) 3D? The fact that many screens can't show 3D (even if they wanted to) on opening weekends - and when both Toy Story and Cars came out where i am (Exeter) only had three 3D screens. On opening weekends cinames are (if the film is any good) at capacity on an opening weekend.

Take forinstance last week at Exeter's three cinemas Brave - was in 3D on 1 screen (in Vue), and available to watch at 7 screens (5 in Vue, 2 at Odeon, and none at Picture House) - surely demand says not everyone is going to watch it in 3D at the more expensive price.

I'll swim against the tide, 3D is the only reason I go to a multiplex these days - they're nauseous places and I hate them all, but I can only get 3D there so I do.

I frequent a local independent cinema and the bigger arts cinema, but Dredd isn't going to be showing at either of those. They're more for the likes of Control (the Joy Division film) or Coriolanus.

My IMAX has so few films on it it's hardly worth bothering ever checking. Saw Avatar (3D) there and that was good, but the only non-IMAX film they're showing at the moment is Batman - not interested. Dredd certainly isn't on my IMAX.

Edited by Spartacus Mars

I'm quite lucky, my local cinema is so poorly attended that there are rarely more than 20 people in the cinema, all spaced out so far that no one annoys anyone else. I've been on a couple of occasions and it has been a grand total of 4 people (myself and my plus one being half the audience).

All the selfish cnuts go to the big out of town multiplexes, where they pay for luxury seats and all that malarkey, while I get to enjoy films with people who realise that if you don't frequent your local cinema you won't have one for long. (we didn't have a cinema in this town for nearly a decade so I go as often as I can afford to)

I hate the cinema - there's always ALWAYS at least four of the following present in every showing I go to:

The Kicker.

The Loud Eater.

The Rustler.

The Stinker.

The Chatterbox.

The Texter.

The Fidget.

The Mouthbreather.

Worst of all - they're always adults.

When I went to see Spiderman 3 I was the only one in the cinema. I rang my son to tell him and I was promptly told to turn my phone off by the usher. Mind you he did keep his gob shut when he could here me shouting at the screen.

Drokk It!!!

How does Dredd work in 2D? I can't imagine it. It was filmed specially in 3D at that crazy frame rate (4,000 frames per second - film is usually 24fps) to create the images of being on Slo-mo - mmmmmkay

Without it the cinematography of the film is lost, and that's far and away the best bit. The film is a 3D film (one that properly explores the genre) - it's what the director and cameraman intended it's part of the film, it is the film - it would be akin to taking the space scenes out of 2001 to remove the 3D. Avatar wasn't properly filmed in 3d parts of it were made 3d later but this is properly designed for 3D - without it the film doesn't stand as film but merely a story.

I have to agree with that, Dredd is a film that when you watch it makes so obvious that it was completely designed and suited for 3D as opposed to a lot of 3D films. Even the non-slow mo bits worked better than most 3D films and I may see it again at the cinema (and I never see a film at the cinema more than once) again just because I can't imagine it woking in 2D and as much I like the film I may not even get it on DVD just because it wont be in 3D and I'm not really a 3D fan.

When I went to see Spiderman 3 I was the only one in the cinema. I rang my son to tell him and I was promptly told to turn my phone off by the usher. Mind you he did keep his gob shut when he could here me shouting at the screen.

Why were you shouting at the screen?

I remember seeing Spider Man 3 at the cinema and there 2 teens around 15(ish) right in front of me and they just kept talking (loudly & obnoxiously) the entire time so I put my hand in one of their shoulders and say "shut the fuck up" and they went dead silent up. This was untill the scene with Spider Man hitting the ginger girl where they started screaming "yeah, take that bitch" etc for a good 30 secs after it actually happened so I poured my drink into their popcorn and they went dead silent and moved to the disabled seats at the front of the cinema.

I have to agree with that, Dredd is a film that when you watch it makes so obvious that it was completely designed and suited for 3D as opposed to a lot of 3D films. Even the non-slow mo bits worked better than most 3D films and I may see it again at the cinema (and I never see a film at the cinema more than once) again just because I can't imagine it woking in 2D and as much I like the film I may not even get it on DVD just because it wont be in 3D and I'm not really a 3D fan.

Why were you shouting at the screen?

I remember seeing Spider Man 3 at the cinema and there 2 teens around 15(ish) right in front of me and they just kept talking (loudly & obnoxiously) the entire time so I put my hand in one of their shoulders and say "shut the fuck up" and they went dead silent up. This was untill the scene with Spider Man hitting the ginger girl where they started screaming "yeah, take that bitch" etc for a good 30 secs after it actually happened so I poured my drink into their popcorn and they went dead silent and moved to the disabled seats at the front of the cinema.

I was sat in a cinema on my own and took the opportunity. It was quite liberating to be able to egg Spiderman on. It was a little like a panto :-)