Sziget 2013

Guest Uncle Liam

As far as people from England are concerned, Mika is a one hit wonder (which was a novelty record) from years ago who probably would play in the tent at V in the afternoon these days. Switch it around a little, he's a judge on the Italian X-Factor. So to a lot of people he's going to be something of a draw. I'm not going to go and watch him I saw him at Summercase in Barcelona in 2007 and the joke was long in the tooth then.

I don't know if it's been said here but announcing him in the middle of a list of names and then having him as a headliner really does stink. But this is a festival that clearly has had, or is having some problems in getting a lineup. Personally, i thought last weeks Q&A was ridiculous, and it reeked of desperation.

To be fair though, it seems they've recognised that the lineup is sub par, and have really gone all out promoting the more social aspects of the festival, and if that comes about they deserve some credit.

Booking The Fratelli's though? What a joke.

On the plus side, I get to see The Joy Formidable, Everything Everything, TEED, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Blur, !!!, Little Boots, Bat for Lashes, Hadouken!, The Cribs, loads of other good stuff I've never heard of.

And with a bit of luck, there will be a dart board in the Irish Pub or in the Sports area.

And if anyone sees a flag during Everything Everything in the crowd, it's me waving it.

Come and say hello.

To be fair, we saw Jon Fratelli play at a festival a couple of years back, and it was quite good fun - although we are talking about a 3 O'Clock in the afternoon sort of performance, rather than sub-headliner - which maybe would be a little different .....

Let's hope the organisers get their act together for next year - we'd really love to return to Sziget, just not with this type of line up!

Anyway, for all of you that are off there in the next few days - enjoy - though it would be hard not to - Budapest is such a beautiful city!

Wednesday

16.00- Joy Formidable

18.00- La Pegatina or Everything Everything

19.50- Flogging Molly

21.30- Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

01.00- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs

Thursday

17.45- Dizzee Rascal

19.30- Nero

21.30- Biffy Clyro

01.00- Nicky Romero (if I bother to stay late)

Friday

16.00- Mystery Jets

18.00- Dry the River or !!!

19.30- Booka Shade

21.30- Blur

23.30- Woodkid

01.00- Sebastian Ingrosso (if I bother to stay)

02.30- Otto Knows

Saturday

19.30- Editors

Headliner?

23.30- Parov Stelar

01.00- John Digweed

Sunday

19.30- Franz Ferdinand

21.00- Empire of the Sun (for a bit)

21.40- Tame Impala

23.30- Felix Cartal

01.00- Boys Noize

02.30- Erol Alkan

A lot of gaps/chances for me to wander around and discover new stages and bands

Edited by edfirth

Wednesday

16.00- Joy Formidable

18.00- La Pegatina or Everything Everything

19.50- Flogging Molly

21.30- Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

01.00- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs

Thursday

17.45- Dizzee Rascal

19.30- Nero

21.30- Biffy Clyro

01.00- Nicky Romero (if I bother to stay late)

Friday

16.00- Mystery Jets

18.00- Dry the River or !!!

19.30- Booka Shade

21.30- Blur

23.30- Woodkid

01.00- Sebastian Ingrosso (if I bother to stay)

02.30- Otto Knows

Saturday

19.30- Editors

Headliner?

23.30- Parov Stelar

01.00- John Digweed

Sunday

19.30- Franz Ferdinand

21.00- Empire of the Sun (for a bit)

21.40- Tame Impala

23.30- Felix Cartal

01.00- Boys Noize

02.30- Erol Alkan

A lot of gaps/chances for me to wander around and discover new stages and bands

• 2 weeks later...

Was really enjoyable actually. Definitely had the feel of more of a dance festival than a rock festival though for me. Lots of lads and 'ladettes' groups on holiday together with a good bit of eye candy to boot ;) As a first timer though, really got a great buzz from the festival and never felt at any stage 'bored', as they have a great beach on the banks of the danube with live chilled house-style music pumping all day long where you can relax when there isnt an act you want to see on. Saw most of the european dance artists, with such a high number of dance loving dutch people that i met it was inevitable that the dance tents would be rammed when romero/ingrosso etc performed, so that is one thing i will advise if you go next year, get a good spot nice and early for the 1-4am slots in the A38 and Party Arenas. Generally though, a lot to see and do, a lot of quirky and random bands passing down the streets, but also have your wits about you as lots of motorbikes and trucks pass through the streets on a daily basis. Would hopefully return in the future :)

Edited by azores92

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, well, I've been waiting to see if there'd be some kind of reaction/feedback, considering all the problems with the line up, etc, and, apart from the above, nothing. The silence speaks volumes ....

Well I've been busy.

Main stage crowds at times were embarrassing. I walked past Mika on the Saturday night and just thought how pathetic it was. Die Artz had a pitiful crowd, considering it was the same slot Interpol and Hurts have played the last two years.

Biffy didnt have a massive crowd either.

Anyone who watched David Guetta saw what an embarrassment that was. End show? They hyped that up all festival and before, as the "End Show curated by David Guetta" And what did we get? We got a 'laser' show about 1/100th as good as The Killers last year and about twelve fireworks. Oh, and some flames on top of the stage. With some bloke playing records onstage which sounded like a CD skipping he stopped that much, and admonishing the crowd for not dancing enough. And he played the same song twice.

As I've said before, it was a lot of the 2011 lineup (Skunk Anansie????) and some other stuff. It's all very well and good having German and Spanish bands on, but the bookers need to realise for the most part it's the British-American scene which is the most popular, and that should be reflected on the mainstage. I saw some great acts in the A38 and Party Arena, Triggerfinger for instance, seeing Die Artz draw a pitiful crowd with little atmosphere second from top was just sad.

As for the whole island of freedom bollocks. Draconian security all round, especially with people coming up to me every hour asking to see my wristband. And as for the entrance? Disgusting.

I think this years Sziget wasn't as good as last year but that was mainly down to the lack of decent "big name" bands. The festival itself was great fun, nice chilled atmosphere. The worst thing this year was the "partys" in front of the main stage complete waste of time and money .So next year hoping for a better line up with more bands on the main stage and forget the "partys".

• 7 years later...