Beer and Food prices..

Guest gooner1990

You can leave the site, yes, but it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere and definitely no shops near by. If you're getting the train I assume you'll be getting the FastCat from Portsmouth? If so, your best bet is to get some beers in Ryde before you jump on a bus to the site. No big supermarkets as such, but a few small Co-ops and there's a newsagent at the bottom of the main street (right opposite the ferry pier) that always gets lots of crates in.

Alternatively there's a big Tesco about 3 miles out of Ryde.

Cheers, I'll stop there then, hant sorted out trains and that yet, doing it all last min as only got a phone call about 3 days ago saying that Iv won tickets :L

• 10 months later...

Some parts (Temple Island, the Wishing Tree field, Comedy tent) are among the campsites, so it's legit to take your own booze around. The main arena has entry points where the security guys check bags and don't allow you to pass if you're openly carrying booze in, but they don't frisk or try to have eagle eyes, so if you take a bottle in inside your jacket or up a sleeve or whatever, you'll be fine. It's not like some festivals where you have to go through a narrow, fenced lane and get patted down.

One thing that always comes up though is that, even if your drink came from a campsite bar, you can't openly carry it into the arena. You're still better off decanting it into a plastic bottle and sneaking it in.

Anyway, the main thing to remember is that security are told to go easy on people to help maintain Bestival's friendly atmosphere.

Edited by smogo

i got stopped and patted down once in the 3 Bestivals i've been to, and he found my stash of cans i was hiding in my shorts. I just said "ahhh go on???", and he still let me through. It seems to be easier to just take a bag through with everything inside rather than trying to hide it amongst your person. plus then you have a bag to carry it all around in once inside.

Yeah in the 5 times I've been I have never had anything taken off me despite never entering with anything less than 6 cans in my backpack - I always go with a jumper at the bottom of the bag, cans on top and then a jacket on top of that - also, make sure you are drinking a can as you go through and then it looks like you're ditching the last of your beer before the gates.

• 2 months later...

I was taking in water bottles of vodka and mixing with bottles of juice, 7up etc bought inside last couple of times.

Only been to glasto since last years Bestival though which is easy with booze, so I don't know if security now do that 'sniff see if its water or not" thing that someone said they were doing at another festival they were at this year

A friend of mine went through the gate with a plastic bottle full of red wine in his bag. The guard sees it and says "What's that?" "Malbec", says my friend. "On you go", says the perplexed guard.

The bars aren't bad value if you're from London. If you're from further north it's a bit of a wrench, but that's festivals for you.

The four pint jugs in some of the bars are a decent deal.

Worth buying a pint of Bestivale while you are there. Im not really much of an ale drinker, but I do enjoy a couple of pints of their own brew

Saw that yesterday on the site, will give it a go as I've recently been getting into drinking craft beers/ales. Got to be better than whatever lager they sell at the main bars anyway right?

Saw that yesterday on the site, will give it a go as I've recently been getting into drinking craft beers/ales. Got to be better than whatever lager they sell at the main bars anyway right?

Its been cans of Tuborg lager the last few years. They do have proper pints of lager as well, but a few bars only stock cans. Not sure if all the bars stock the Bestivale, but i'm pretty sure at least a few scattered across site do

• 2 weeks later...