Future festival headliners

Guest Ulysses

Its a widely acknowledged fact that festivals increasingly rely on heritage acts to provide the 'Wow' factor to their line ups. In 5 years time, however, this will simply not be possible (Dead, retired, Bob Dylan). So what current acts, who aren't already headline level (Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Radiohead etc.) do we think will make the step up?

At the moment I'd say Florence and the Machine are the most obvious one, maybe the Black Keys too? Any other suggestions?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the bands that havent headlined Glastonbury Id say the following are likely within the next few years...

Biffy Clyro

Elbow

Black Keys

Kasabian

Arcade Fire

Florence and the Machine

Its a sorry state of affairs that thats all I can think of who hasnt headlined. If bands, like say Alabama Shakes keep making outstanding albums then they could make the jump but its a big if...your more likely to see some repeat headliners and "pop" acts in the next 10 years as well. Even though people rave about certain bands I just cant imagine a day that TDCC headline the pyramid.

Edited by swede

The thing is, that acts often get popularity out of nowhere. A couple of years ago Elbow, Arcade Fire etc. never looked likely to headline. The story of K.O.L is also one to look at.

One of the best things about Glasto is you can never quite predict who will headline. In 2002/3, people would have sent you away to be looked at if you predict Jay-Z.

I reckon Glasto has got enough in its locker to take it up til the next fallow year (2018?) with regards to headliners. who knows after that? Coldplay had only been in existence for 4 years when they headlined in 2002.

Off the top of my head:

Yet to headline, but at that level - Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Stone Roses,Arcade Fire, Lady Gaga, Kasabian, Rage Against The Machine, Kanye West, Foo Fighters.

Repeat headliners - Paul McCartney (second time), Radiohead (third time), Arctic Monkeys (second time), Blur (third time), Coldplay (FOURTH time), Jay-Z (second time), Muse (third time)

Future headliners - Elbow, Florence & The Machine, Dizzee Rascal, The Black Keys.

Obviously some are less likely to headline than others (Stones, Pink Floyd, RATM) and there will no doubt be some bands that break through and become massive. But I think that list is a decent indication of where we're at!

Its a widely acknowledged fact that festivals increasingly rely on heritage acts to provide the 'Wow' factor to their line ups. In 5 years time, however, this will simply not be possible (Dead, retired, Bob Dylan). So what current acts, who aren't already headline level (Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Radiohead etc.) do we think will make the step up?

At the moment I'd say Florence and the Machine are the most obvious one, maybe the Black Keys too? Any other suggestions?

Dizzee Rascal, and unfortunately as I despise them, the Mumfords and Florence.

There's a lot of good music out there but I'm not sure the likes of Gaslight Anthem, The National, Band of Horses, Black Keys are heading towards headliner status, size-wise

Arcade Fire and The Black Keys both have the potential to be very good headliners, (considering they have good back catalogues to play).

A wild card headliner can be Bon Iver

English bands I would say

Kasabian

Florence and the Machine

The Vaccines (maybe)

However apart from Kasabian, these 'new' bristish potenial headliners are still way of the mark from headlining british bands of the last decade (00's) such as the Artic Monekys, Coldplay, Muse in terms of popularity.

basically the future of the festival looks disasterous, in terms of headliners. In a couple of years time the pyramid stage will be a no-go zones.

Modern popular music is rubbish. Really bad. The worst it's ever ever been. by a massive margin.

Sure there is some decent music out there, but from bands who will never ever ever get close to a main stage at a festival. Sad really. Thank god some of us have our memories of much better times.

There will never be another headline glastonbury gig like Bowie in 2000 or Macca in 2004.

Unlucky eh

basically the future of the festival looks disasterous, in terms of headliners. In a couple of years time the pyramid stage will be a no-go zones.

Modern popular music is rubbish. Really bad. The worst it's ever ever been. by a massive margin.

Sure there is some decent music out there, but from bands who will never ever ever get close to a main stage at a festival. Sad really. Thank god some of us have our memories of much better times.

caring less and less about headline acts as i get older ,i`ve seen a few good sets over the years and to be honest i cant think of many acts i would want to see on the pyramid anymore,if i get a ticket next year it will be avalon area and john peel stage for me i think.

There will never be another headline glastonbury gig like Bowie in 2000 or Macca in 2004.

Unlucky eh

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

I've said it before, but it's impossible to say that at this time. A decent number of acts come out of nowhere to headline. K.O.L only formed seven years before they headlined Glastonbury. There will be the same people who say: "oh you'll never get a gig like 1985 Glasto or 1990" etc. We've had the same discussion in the past about how music is always looked on favourably retrospectively, and it always will be that way. It's the same reason why myths like Spike Island - Roses get turned into this wonderous Woodstock like event.

Edited by russycarps

Years down the line yet, but the Maccabees can do it. Saw them at Ally Pally and was dissapointed but there set at benicassim this year was amazing, blew dylan out the water (not hard) but another album like the last one and they'll be creeping up the order