'Outward crowds'

Guest GlastoSimon

Sorry for the awful thread title, I can't think of another way to put it.

Was watching T in the Park highlights on Friday night, and I noticed that the crowd went out from the stage when towards the middle. For those who don't understand what I mean, I have obtained a video from YouTube... look from around 3:28 to 3:35, that little bit that goes away from the stage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN0SinWRp5c

I thought it was a bit weird, and must be something that only happens at T. Then I went to Hard Rock Calling at Hyde Park this weekend, and noticed EXACTLY the same thing was there, but on a bigger scale. Literally someone who was at the front and in the middle would be twenty foot further back than someone on the side at the front. This wasn't the case in 2011 at either places, having just seen clips of Foo Fighters at T/Killers at Hyde Park to have a look.

Why is this happening? I would've thought it would be more dangerous having lots more potential crush points than just one at the front of the crowd. Also, it ruins the atmosphere for me, especially if you're someone who's at the front of the 'outwards area'.

Finally - will this happen at the Pyramid? I hope to God it doesn't, but if all these other places are doing it maybe it's become necessary.

Edited by GlastoSimon

That's to stop people from getting crushed because the barrier is longer more people can lean on it meaning there's less people having to push.. It also makes the barrier much bigger allowing security/first aiders to see a lot more people, which will obviously can helps at a festival. It also gives opportunity for more people to be on the 'front row'.

The pyramid has a crowd breaker instead but it wouldn't surprise me if they adapt the Other stage to do so.

I noticed the same thing when watching Hackney Weekend highlights the other week. During Jay Z there were about 20-30 people (one of whom was Beyonce, i think) in the little triangular area in front of the barrier, so i assumed it was just a VIP area allowing 'important' people to get a good view at the expense of everyone else

barriers of this kind will, almost certainly, be done in the name of health and safety. quite why, i am not sure, maybe it dissipates pressure on those down at the front if there's a surge or something.

they'll probably be in place at Glastonbury next year.

Edited by fatyeti24

Reading has a crowd breaker but also had this last year.

I assume that it's to stop a crush at the front, to prevent a surge of people all going in one direction by breaking up the traffic flow and having people at the focus of the pressure angled differently.

The design looks like it would force people out towards the sides if there was a forward crush on, so in that respect a good safety feature. However, is it OTT? Glasto use a 'bracket' shaped affair some 100 years or so back from the stage which not only allows security in to watch the crowds, but also provides a buffer so that any crush at the front involves a few thousand people behind you rather than 100,000. What would be sorry to see however would be a 'golden circle' of media luvvies, their kids, their kids mates etc. all in front of the stage and the paying punters. Its bad enough at the sides of the stages now, Pyramid included, where there are balconys for the priviledged to get a close up view of a peformer.

Clever way of allowing more people to be at the 'front' and I can see how it would help security/first aiders keep and eye on things and reach people in difficulty. Also helps keep a few more flags away from the front so that old farts like me who sit at the back can still see.

They've been using something on a larger scale at Download for years that practically splits the crowd in two. Probably brought in to get a license when the festival came back to the old Donington site given what had happened in the past.

i prefer a spot further back when i watch, preferably around the sound deck (usually a sweet spot for sound) so it doesn't matter to me what goes on down the front.

but, those who like it down on the rail, do you get a decent view, or are the stages just a bit too far away for it to really matter these days? do you have to crane your neck? or is it worth the hassle/time/'pit politics'? is it just for the young 'uns?

Edited by fatyeti24

Can't be arsed with the front either. Getting old now.

For large gigs/festivals that have a second row of speak stacks then I usually get myself about 10m behind one of those. (or as its facing backwards is it "in front"? could be either, but the side which its blaring out music .. you get the picture).

Sound quality and volume at these huge gigs can really piss me. No such problem when you're right by the speaker. Love it.