advice from the reading regulars please!

Guest missgeevious

Hey, were off to Reading this year (2012) weve never been before and was just wondering if any kind reading regulars could help?

We will be parking up in the White car park, and want to know how long the walk is into the arena from the white camping?

Also what are peoples thoughts on the brown,purple and orange campsites? as i seem to be getting that the white is used as a family camping spot? Im going to have a break from my kids, so dont really want to be surrounded by other peoples :)

from white camping to the arena is probably 20-30 mins and its the quiet campsite so after a certain time there is basically limited noise.

as for the other campsites, as with anything there will be rowdy people, a few dicks, and the rest there just to have a good time. just don't camp too near the walkways and bushes, or longdrops and you should be ok

I've stayed in White the last 3 times I've been and it's a nice mix of older (i.e. older than about 25!) people, a few families and younger people.

There's it's own bar and food stall and it's very near the car park,It can be a 45 min walk to the arena if it's busy though!

If you want "antics" after the music finishes try one of the other sites as there'e none of that here!

Purple A is a tidy spot. Not too far from the arena (you can walk through Yellow or I find Green quickest) & the hedges provide shelter from noise & shenanigans from Yellow & Arena. Water point & loos on the way to arena. Always been able to get a bit of space for a few tents in an oval, fire which we share or gazebo.

reading_map.png

Only change to that map I know of is moving the NME tent a bit & making Orange bigger with bigger silent disco tent. Ultimately it doesn't matter too much as you'll end up going for a wanders around & you'll be with your mates.

The further South you camp in Purple A the quieter & more space there is. It's surprisingly quiet there at night yet close to where all the action is. Henry's Gate stream runs from the water point in between Purple & Yellow & is often used as a gents urinal however it never seems to smell. There's at least one casualty a day falling in that filth which is a guaranteed laugh.

SandyAtReadingFestival2008-2.jpg

SNV30638.jpg

We have camped in white for a few years now. Whilst there certainly isn't the late night rowdyness of other campsites over the river, there certainly is no rule about noise, or curfews or anything - if there was we wouldn't have been kept awake for 3 nights by a bunch of welsh chaps yelling about budgie smugglers! (only saved by them loosing their voices!). Generally it is quieter and great for getting a decent amount of sleep.

I don't recall there ever being that many kids ither. And it is delightfully close to the car park!

It is a bit of a pain for getting to the arena, but we tend to go in and then stay there for the day, so its not too bad, and very civilied if you go and get the boat down and walk in from the green landing site.

Think we were in what is now purple when it was brown for years, till it got way too crowded and mental (and a bit nasty one year!) and then they put th bridge and boat to green in from white and we were sorted again!

All depends on what you want from the weekend tho I guess.

there certainly is no rule about noise, or curfews or anything - if there was we wouldn't have been kept awake for 3 nights by a bunch of welsh chaps yelling about budgie smugglers! (only saved by them loosing their voices!). Generally it is quieter and great for getting a decent amount of sleep.

I don't recall there ever being that many kids ither. And it is delightfully close to the car park!

It is a bit of a pain for getting to the arena, but we tend to go in and then stay there for the day, so its not too bad, and very civilied if you go and get the boat down and walk in from the green landing site.

I've discussed with the buddies and were gonna stick to white lol put the tent up today and it's a beasty lol so defo not going to be able to wander further in lol can't freakin waitttt!!! :D

Check this bad boy out for
just had our practice run! parteeee tent woop woop!

— missgeevious (@missgeevious7)

There's a group of 5 of us going but that tent is for 3 of us lol we've not put the pods in and were not taking them, trying to cut down the weight haha

Niiiiiiiiiiice. I love my big tent but there's only 2 of us going to Reading so we'll just bring a wee one. It was a revelation the day we put it up for the first time and realised you could stand up properly inside :)

Edited by missgeevious

• 3 weeks later...

White camp is always my choice these days. No need to walk either, just get the barge down!

Also, when I went in 95, I camped next to that shitty stream and the lad in the next tent fell in and broke the crust that was on it in those days. It f*****g stank. He hung his clothes over his guyropes and when he woke up the next day they'd gone stiff. Was rank!

• 2 weeks later...

I know im impressed! Cant freakin wait hahaha