Ticket sales slower this year ?

Guest thespiral

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going!

Clearly festivals are feeling the pinch this year, due to the economy, weather, Olympics, no Glasto = less generic festival interest for new-festival type fans... all as cited in this thread.

Alot of these factors were around last year, and EOTR still sold out in good time...

Which makes me wonder, if maybe a larger number of people who went last year and that had been previous years felt the changes weren't for the better. ie increased capacity. I know I 'preferred it as it was', as did many. I reckon we would have done NDH instead this year if we'd had the choice (had a wedding that weekend).

I'm not moaning for moanings sake btw. I hate internet moaners! I guess we'd need to ask the people who aren't going this year rather than those who are?!

Only 2 months to go!

but Ben is great.

Awwww!

Don't say that IJ - now I'm DOUBLY upset I'm not EOTR-ing this year...!

In actual fact, EOTR12 was not gonna happen for me from a while back when I signed up for a bike race in Scotland happening on 1 September. So, I'm going to Green Man instead and demonstrating similarly ridiculous levels of excitement on the forum there!

On reflection, despite the fact that my now annual festie buddies will not be there too, I think it's probably a good thing for me not to do EOTR this year, and maybe always to avoid successive years. Don't get me wrong, I love EOTR, but for me, this year's booking policy has been a little bit lazy. Not that there isn't masses of great stuff in there, it's just that, having done '09 and '11 it's a little bit samey. I know that's true of many festivals of this size (GM is guilty too, but it's my first time there...) but there's no wow factor for me at EOTR this year.

Saying all of that, and in the spirit of my blemish-free recommendation record, here's Ben's top tips for EOTR 2012!

1. Cold Specks (and I like very few female vocalists! they had to pull out of GM and I was gutted)

2. Dark Dark Dark (see 1)

3. Islet - they make a beautifully ramshackle racket!

4. Alt-J**

**don't be put off by any of the hype, nor any labels of what clever genre they might inhabit, nor any of the potential nerdyness of their name and it's origin on Mac computers. Their record is just superb. Quirky, different, hooky and very melodic.

Remember folks: The Tallest Man on Earth '09, Other Lives '11...I'm never wrong!

I'm lurking not posting these days as I am a perennial only-posts-in-the-lead-up-to-a-festival poster, so I'll probably not be very vocal on here, but I read most days, just to make sure you're keeping out of (or in, I guess...) mischief.

I'm sure EOTR will be magical for you, especially as it's looking like being the only summer festival of the year that might actually be held when it's summer!

love

Ben

x

PS - Simon: I've become a big Mogwai fan, having missed them for OR last year - they're closing Friday at GM, so ear-defenders ahoy!

Edited by bennyhana22

Yeah, Cold Specks are good - saw them at NDH, and enjoying the album more as I listen to it again. Also, she did a version of the Fresh Prince theme song, which automatically makes her awesome. Islet I quite like too, not convinced by Alt-J yet and haven't heard Dark Dark Dark.

Re the booking policy, it seems to me that it must be getting harder to book bands that fit the EoTR style, that are the right size (not too big or small), that the EoTR audience like, that are available, that want to play, and are affordable. It was easier in the first few years because they had all the established bands to choose from, but now that YLT and Wilco and Calexico and Explosions and so on have headlined, they can't ask them again (well they could, but you know what I mean). So I agree with Ben to a point, but I'm sympathetic as to why it might have happened.

I think there are a number of reasons for the slower ticket sales and seeming lack of enthusiasm on this forum.

1) The awful weather that's blighted virtually every big event so far this year. Though I can confirm the long-range forecast for August is better.

2) We're all evented-out. Euros, Jubolympics, tennis. People are spending their money and attention elsewhere at the moment.

3) Most people I know are picking one festival this year due to tight finances or heading out of the country altogether because of 1 & 2 (above).

4) A few people I know are a bit disappointed with the overlap from last year's EotR and will wait until the final announcements to see if they want to come.

5) Some have voiced concerns that EotR is heading the same way as Latitude. In that they are adding to the capacity every year which affects the atmosphere. I've already decided that if they make it any bigger I'm going to look elsewhere next year as I hate crowds and EotR is one of the few festivals that doesn't feel too busy, at the moment. I'm not alone on that either.

6) There's two EotR's this year, in effect, with NDH. Those who previously travelled from the North will almost certainly give NDH a bash this year instead.

I'd also like to add that we seem to be getting stuck into a bit of a rut with the artists. As much as I love Midlake, Low Anthem, Antlers, John Grant, it seems like only yesterday that I was watching them in Dorset. There are some incredible acts that would suit the festival that seem to get overlooked every year (with stunning new albums, Beachwood Sparks & Dr John seem the most obvious this year). I know from personal experience how hard it is to book acts for a festival, but when a line-up offers very few surprises (Patti Smith & Grandaddy being the exceptions this year) it does start to feel like organisers are running out of ideas. And handing an entire day's running order to one record label hardly destroys that notion.

I'm still going though. Mainly because very few other festivals have such a chilled atmosphere.

Who is that bloke posting above?

OK when I said lack of enthusiasm, I was talking about myself. Now that I have passed 50 and got myself a younger husband I seem to be letting myself go. That includes even knowing who is playing this year.....

Even Ben knows more about the line-up than I do. Having no idea of who Grandaddy are I feel totally inadequate.

But I do think the countryboy has some good points. This weather isn't helping, and we have had weddings, and the Olympic Torch Relay to condend with, all passion spent. I was really hoping to do GM, but that seems unlikely now. So yes only the one for me this year.

Well put Nonlondoner!

Hi to Ben

And nice to see that some people are still coming x

Hi to you too, Sue

After months of reading and not posting I now find myself drawn to regular writing!

I'm in my familiar pre-festival build up, so am spending unhealthy amounts of time preoccupied with such things. It feels like I'm getting ready for EOTR, even though, sadly, I am not...I know that Green Man will be fabulous, but it would be even better with all you lot there...at least Phil is coming with me this year!

And if I may just repeat myself regarding a recommendation, I am currently spending a great deal of time and attention on Dark Dark Dark. Their second album, 'Wild Go' is wonderful wonderful wonderful and a current fave. Well worth your investment and a bit of a highlighter pen on the EOTR clashfinder. I am nervously awaiting stage times for GM as the aforementioned DDD may be embroiled in some unGodly 3-way clash involving The Wave Pictures and the almost illegally magnificent Bowerbirds...this could be a painful one.

Anyway, I'll stop drivelling on...but you know what it's like...now I've been 'back' a little, it's vey hard to leave...

love to all,

Ben

x

Edited by bennyhana22

Despite announcing that I would unlikely be posting, I had to after reading this!

Nonlondoner - Where, oh where, oh where have you seen any suggestion that August is going to be better than the last 3 1/2 months?! I'm not being confrontational, I just want your pronouncement to be true, more than you could know!

August for me means 8 days family camping and Green Man, so, if you have got info, for God's sake post a link to it so I can read it endlessly!!!

Ben

Hi Ben,

Long range forecasting is always fraught with danger (Barbeque summer anyone?) but there are signs on the various long-range forecast models that pressure should rise over the South of the UK towards August. There's a long way to go but if this comes off then things will settle down a bit. Hopefully, like the trough of low pressure that has sat over us since the end of May, it'll set a trend for a nice Autumn.

Here's the relevant bits:

Simon Taffe is one of the organisers of End of the Road, a small event at Larmer Tree Gardens on the Dorset-Wiltshire border that takes place as summer ends, winning gushing reviews in the press and delighted praise from attendees. This time last year, it had sold out. This year, it hasn't – though Taffe is confident it will. He points the finger at Glastonbury's absence. "Glastonbury being on actually helps all the other festivals, because it puts people in the festival mindset," he says. "It's covered so heavily on TV that it puts festivals on the map."

Not that he blames Michael Eavis, for – as he accepts – there are countless other reasons for slow sales: the recession, the glut of music events around the Olympics, the Olympics themselves. And while the weather might seem an obvious explanation for ticket holders not turning up, it also affects advance ticket buying. "On a sunny day, we really do sell more tickets," he says. "Other promoters have said the same – people buy when it's sunny."

Just read the Guardian article. I think lower ticket sales are mainly due to non-core festival people finding something else to do with their money. Even when money is tight, those of us that love proper festivals will find a way of getting the cash together and are not bothered about rain. If a longer term trend then it might lead to fewer festivals, with those that survive returning to a smaller, more affordable size and having to get the vibe and quality just right.

I've been doing Glastonbury and Cropredy most years since 83 with the odd diversion to Cambridge and Reading. Will be doing EOTR for the first time this year and being a fan of the Bella Union artist roster I'm really looking forward to it, and sod the weather!

"every year a new End of the Road/Green Man-type festival starts up" forces him to expand and look for bigger acts.....

This year it was called No Direction Home.

I do actually think all of the comments previously (before this tedious article) have a point. And there is no one reason. But festivals like Beautiful Days and Shrewsbury Folk Festival have sold out because they know their market and have a hardcore following that go year after year.

I like the term "non-core festival people" also known on here as "chatty twats"

Edited by perfectpassion

I really don't buy the No Glastonbury excuse, especially if you tie it in with the economy - I think there has become a loss of USPs amongst festivals, whether it is the intimacy that was/is (ducked out last year so can't add to that debate) EOTR, or the whole secret venue thing. I hope EOTR does well this year - the line up for me doesn't have enough "fun" to it for me, as crass a view as that is, but maybe I, and some of generation festival, have simply moved on...

I think the next few years will be testing for all music festivals. I don't buy the Glastonbury excuse either, most people who attend Glasto would want their annual festival fix elsewhere. The last "fallow" year at Pilton Farm coincided with the explosion of smaller festivals as people spent their annual budget trying something new.

I think Festivals will have to work hard to survive. That means a real balancing act between being interesting and supplying what their core customers want. I really hope that End of the Road is not one of the casulties. It's a special event (less so last year though). The thought of going to Latitude and being fleeced in the process doesn't bare thinking about.

I personally think that the increase in numbers over the last couple of years has made some regulars think twice about it. Some people preferred the 5000 maximum attendance, just the right size for this site, hardly any security, no queues for anything, i guess some people just prefer that.

I haven't bought my ticket yet (although i probably will) but i also think the headliners are not the biggest crowd pullers. As happy that i am that Grandaddy have reformed for this, in all honesty they are still very much a cult band that the majority of people haven't heard of, not really. You ask the average person in the street to name a Grandaddy album and most would struggle. I think Midlake are great and will definitely be seeing them again, but the same applies, are they a headline selling band? In the 'real' world then yes, but we're talking about a festival here and we're talking about the slow ticket sales and i think the headliners have to be a factor. Personally i don't think Grizzly Bear are a headline act. I think they're 'ok' but a band that makes people fork out £140 to see headline? Hmmmm, not sure myself. I saw Patti Smith recently at Hop Farm festival and she was unreal! She's a must see in my opinion.

Having said that, the overall line up is just ok this year i think. While i'm happy to try and find new bands, there are quite a few on this bill that i've never heard of, Alt-J, Big Wave, Cold Specks, Horse Thief, King Charles, Still Corners, Driver Drive Faster, that's just a quick glance, there are lots more and i think all of this is a telling factor.

Then, (with fear of bringing this up) there is the scientology link. I have spoken to loads of people who are slightly concerned with this. I know Simon tried to dismiss this rumour a while back in an interview but he did admit that 'two of the directors are scientoligists' He didn't give names so he could himself be one. Either way, i will not dwell on this point too long, but personally i would question anyone/anything that openly admits to having links, however big or small to scientology. It really is an evil organisation and the fact they admit to trying to cure people of their homosexuality doesn't sit well with most people. Having two directors that think homosexuality is wrong, given the fact that some of the people attending and some of those playing, are gay, has to be questioned.

Finally, i think people have lost of choice for festivals this size and people are making late decisions, weather, cash, who's playing all being factors. I still think EOTR will sell out, always does.

I'll see you at the front for Deep Dark Woods who i think are the best band playing. If you've not heard them, see them live. Incredible!

Slightly weird argument Martin - you seem to be saying that you want the festival to be less popular, but then complain that the headliners aren't popular enough!

And as for the scientology thing - I'm as anti-religious as the next man (if the next man is Richard Dawkins); if anyone can point to a single instance of any religion affecting the festival, from lineup to catering to stalls to anything else, you won't see me for dust. If Scientology has any influence whatsoever, why would they book John Grant (again)? Robin Ince (again)? I've been three years running and apart from the (admittedly annoying) woo fields, it could have been an atheists' convention...

Slightly weird argument Martin - you seem to be saying that you want the festival to be less popular, but then complain that the headliners aren't popular enough!

And as for the scientology thing - I'm as anti-religious as the next man (if the next man is Richard Dawkins); if anyone can point to a single instance of any religion affecting the festival, from lineup to catering to stalls to anything else, you won't see me for dust. If Scientology has any influence whatsoever, why would they book John Grant (again)? Robin Ince (again)? I've been three years running and apart from the (admittedly annoying) woo fields, it could have been an atheists' convention...

im with geordiemartin on the line line up, has much as i like grandaddy its no big scoop, midlake nice but again, grizzly bear i think are worthy headliners. the rest of line up low anthem dear me not again. i would say there is maybe 12 bands i want to see, patti smith, woods, van dyke parks, beach house. i do feel line up makes a big difference to ticket sales

am i excited not really do i love eotr yes.

Edited by wolfamongwolves