Ticket sales slower this year ?

Guest thespiral

This time last year EOTR was close to selling out. I think it was completely sold out by late June.

I wonder how sale are this year, I know a few people who are holding off this time ...just a *little* underwhelmed by the lineup. I know its all personal taste of course.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This time last year EOTR was close to selling out. I think it was completely sold out by late June.

I wonder how sale are this year, I know a few people who are holding off this time ...just a *little* underwhelmed by the lineup. I know its all personal taste of course.

We're also well into a long-term recession, and festival sales seem to be slow everywhere - NDH didn't sell out as far as I can tell; Primavera was a lot quieter this year than the last two; All Tomorrow's Parties aren't selling out; some festivals cancelled - and all this in a year without Glastonbury.

I'm hopeful that EoTR/NDH have made enough in the past years to keep going through a few years of tough conditions.

The EOTR team have to be given credit for putting on NDH. It was critically acclaimed and its reputation can only grow. Maybe EOTR needs to scale back a little if the festival bubble has finally burst or even alternate every other year with NDH if that really does take off (hope it stays on the intimate side). There seemed to be plenty of people at NDH that appreciated not having to slog all the way to Dorset so there is a bit of a dilution effect there. Still, EOTR gets very good press and all us fans can keep the word of mouth vibe going.

Hail to the bop

In answer to the above two posts:

No Glastonbury this year might have the reverse effect on sales, last year there was so much hype before the festival, press/news/radio and the TV coverage meant that you could not escape it. And then it was sunny, and all over the tv for a whole weekend. Anyone thinking yeah I want to go to a festival...any festival will do... might have just pushed the buy tkts button....

Supply and demand....EoTR had a great reputation as a small 5k capacity festival, so if you wanted to go you knew that you had to get a ticket early, or risk them selling out. Now there are about 15k tickets (for NDH and EoTR combined), so mentally some people will be holding on a bit longer to buy tkts.

I can understand why commercially EoTR would put on a smaller sister festival earlier in the year but it does feel like its diluted EoTR, and not everyone wants to or can get to both.

Of the total ticket sales, probably only about 3k are hardcore music fans, the rest are fairweather festival goers. I wonder how many people are swayed by having a "known" name as headliner. I mean known as in mainstream known.

And finally didn't lots of people say last year it was good but it had lost a little of the magic it once had....

Edited by perfectpassion

I was thinking about this earlier, has any festival actually sold out in advance so far this year?

there's only a few as far as I'm aware - Beautiful Days, 2000trees, beat-herder, Secret Garden Party, & Kendal Calling are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

When you realise that there's been over 250,000 fewer tickets on sale this year for large festivals (Glasto, Big Chill, & Sonisphere), and that none of the large festivals has yet sold out (when they normally), and with slower sales for an awful lot of other fests, that's a huge slump in festival tickets this year.

I believe it's the case that Bestival has sold faster this year - but it's still to sell out (it was mid-Aug last year that it sold out); I've heard today that Latitude is near to selling out and probably will sell out before it happens .... but in general things are slow this year.

Thanks for the info, Neil. Yeah, I'd figure that Latitude will sell out, but I'm pretty surprised about Kendal Calling and some fo the others.

Without meaning any dis-respect towards those festies that have sold out, there doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern to why some are selling and others aren't.

While I've only been to one of those I named, I'm aware that the others have a similarly good reputation - and yet they're not head and shoulders above all others. There's others as good (or better), and others very nearly as good - and yet they haven't sold out.

Anyway, my point in saying that is that there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to the sales this year. It seems to be pretty random for those that are doing OK or better, and those that aren't.

I think it's to do with relative weakness of line-ups, and too many festivals not having a true understand of their key audience and a clear vision for what they're about (I.e. their USP).

that's defo in the mix - but defo not all of it. It's not like those sold out fests have stronger line-ups above others, nor do they have USP's that are more than some other places.

From some localish info we've had, it appears that one sold out fest's sales have done particularly well from local schoolkids who have bought tickets only on the basis that it's local. So there's oddities like this in the mix for some fests.

But there's also the Olympics and the economy, and the weather.

There's defo no single pattern that I or others have been able to identify. I'm all ears if anyone thinks they've got it. :)

I think another factor is the increasing number, and attraction, of festivals abroad.

A lot of them have enviable lineups and sell their tickets a lot cheaper (I think one of the reasons is that bands often don't charge as much).

Combine that with a good chance of sunshine in a trendy city and you've got a nice holiday too.

"Firstly, I thought it was an excellent festival. Had hoped it would be a throw back to the early EOTR festivals & it didn't disappoint. We could only afford to do one of EOTR & NDH this year & both Marie & myself have no regrets that we chose NDH. Good site, friendly people, decent bands & good to be able to camp nearer to the car park. Bought early bird tickets for next year without hesitation." Donny Osmond on other topic

I hope tickets will still be available for a couple of more weeks (till my next payday), cause I'm considering doing a small festival this year and this one seems ideal.

Because I'm fed up of the big festivals, with all the corporate feel, hassle to get in/out and the long walks to the campsite

Welcome A-Rob, it doesn't look like sell out is imminent, and we usually get a warning to say its about to sell out, so you should be ok. You will def find no corporate stuff, small friendly crowds, and I suppose compared to larger festivals the walk isn't too bad.

Hope to see you there!

Judging by the enthusiasm on here (lack of) I don't think anyone is going. Ticket sales must be really bad???

And yes I feel rather sad about it all. There are some good bands on the line-up, that I want to see. But several of the people who used to make it fun are not going.