2013?

Guest Whittick

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is still a realistic possibility that Bestival might not have sold out if The Cure were not there; and let's say Arcade Fire were playing instead.

No, but Reading is renowned for being a bit pubescent and Kasabian's loyal army of fans havent sold out their day ticket allocation yet either.

Who said big?

The Cure's fanbase have a higher proportion of obsessives than other headliners. I'm saying they have around 5k fans who would go to every show, or most shows, and then will fill the rest of the venues out with other people going to the closest one.

I haven't bought my Reading ticket yet, but at £100 for a day ticket, or 3 x £35 for 3 arena shows, where I'd get to see 3 hour sets, better, more appropriate support, not have to put up with Reading and get a setlist that would probably include a few more surprises and album songs, I'd jump on the chance for the latter option.

Edited by jump

My whole point was originally about Arcade Fire and trying to put it in perspective that they are not beyond a Bestival headline spot. The Cure are clearly a bigger, more succesful and attractive festival act.

I am sure Kasabian have a larger UK fan base than Arcade Fire but thats another one for debate I suppose.

So The Cure's fanbase isn't big.

£35? The last Cure show prices were around £150(face value) and I think I paid around £50 to see them at Wembley. There's a big difference what someone would prefer to do and actually do.

I thought you said you were going for the weekend at Reading as you've been talking about seeing Mark Lanegan?

Yet in 2009 the year before The Cure it sold out 4 months before Bestival now compare that to "Three/ four weeks before Bestival took place the tickets had not sold ou." the year The Cure played.

Why can't you accept the very basic fact The Cure are iconic but aren't a huge act?

No, common sense indicates The Cure aren't massive because they aren't massive. Statements of fact they don't do arena tours or big solo shows, their last few albums have sold poorly in the UK, their only planitum album in the UK is a greatest hits.

Edited by hawkzred

When Arcade Fire come back with an album though there's gonna be a lot of interest. People are more bothered about current bands with new music they haven't heard live before.

Are The Cure still doing new music? I'm 22 and I don't remember them releasing anything. They probably have but it can't have charted well or even been particularly critically acclaimed.

The Stevie/Cure argument just isn't going to cut it. Yes they are both iconic acts, yes they have both sold lots of records (more then Arcade Fire), yes they've both headlined bigger festivals resently....but they are past their best, they are booked primarily as nostaliga/legend acts and they probably don't cost all that much compared to larger acts!

Bestival can get bands like that and it fits into their remit. Bestival does not get bands like, Kings of Leon, Kasabian, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, Bruce Springsteen, The Stone Roses, Blur because they are HUGE bands who probably cost a large amount to book and who also would be highly sought after by bigger promoters with more money or a better reputation/benefits (like Glasto).

Arcade Fire are now in this category until their star fades or they release a shitty album. They are massive, their next album will be hugely anticipated, why would they (or their managment) choose to headline bestival for a smaller fee when they could play Glasto and get TV coverage followed by Hard Rock calling in the same weekend and clean up financially? Or Isle of Wight where they'll gain exposure to new audiences and again get paid the big bucks?

Acts like the Cure and Stevie have secured their legacy, they've made their money and earned their reputation, their best days musically are behind them which means they can't charge quite so much...not only that but they are in a great position to help out a slightly smaller festival like Bestival...which is what they've done effectively. Arcade Fire would be total numpties to do the same thing.

The Stevie/Cure argument just isn't going to cut it. Yes they are both iconic acts, yes they have both sold lots of records (more then Arcade Fire), yes they've both headlined bigger festivals resently....but they are past their best, they are booked primarily as nostaliga/legend acts and they probably don't cost all that much compared to larger acts!

Bestival can get bands like that and it fits into their remit. Bestival does not get bands like, Kings of Leon, Kasabian, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, Bruce Springsteen, The Stone Roses, Blur because they are HUGE bands who probably cost a large amount to book and who also would be highly sought after by bigger promoters with more money or a better reputation/benefits (like Glasto).

Arcade Fire are now in this category until their star fades or they release a shitty album. They are massive, their next album will be hugely anticipated, why would they (or their managment) choose to headline bestival for a smaller fee when they could play Glasto and get TV coverage followed by Hard Rock calling in the same weekend and clean up financially? Or Isle of Wight where they'll gain exposure to new audiences and again get paid the big bucks?

Acts like the Cure and Stevie have secured their legacy, they've made their money and earned their reputation, their best days musically are behind them which means they can't charge quite so much...not only that but they are in a great position to help out a slightly smaller festival like Bestival...which is what they've done effectively. Arcade Fire would be total numpties to do the same thing.