Festival Stalls

Guest Mr Lizzzard

Hi,

I have a stall and I want to get into doing festivals.

It seems impossible to get a foot in at most festivals. It appears that once your in it's fine but the had bit is getting in.

I have a Tea and Cake stall, all organic locally sourced ingredients used, and teas from around the world.

all i get is either no response or we are full.

I was a little late this year, but any advise anyone has to help me would be greatly appreciated.

I take it that you have contacted the smaller festivals first ie. you haven't just gone and asked the big festivals before finding your feet? Have you just limited your enquiries to festivals? Why don't you consider dog shows, horse shows etc as well as these also have punters.

When I was younger I saw the queues for the donuts at Glastonbury and was amazed that people were queuing up in droves and passing over cash for a very basically produced product. While at work some time later I got talking to a bloke who it transpires did the donuts at Glastonbury and places like the Highland Games. He told me that in that game you have to start off small and build up, that you can't just go in at the deep end. He went on to sell me his first ever donut van. I called around to his massive house in the country ( this was someone who the tax man only registered as earning his work salary - which wasn't a great figure) and there next to his Rolls Royce was two of the biggest donut rigs I have seen ie he wasn't lying about doing Glastonbury etc.

He told me to start off at the various horse shows around. To cut a long story short I only ever did one show and then ran out of steam for the idea ( I was / am never going to be a business man).

I guess I'm trying to say don't limit yourself to music festivals.

And another thing, your not just a bit late for applying for festivals now - your actually a lot late I would have thought.

Also, if you get no response from people as you have said, call again. If you get we are full up, ask what you would have to do to do their show /festival next year. Try to get the name of the organiser and use the name ie if you find out it's George Smith, ring up and say hello George etc not hello Mr.Smith.

I think nearly every business person would say to you - don't be put off by the knock backs. Because you'll get plenty of them.

These points are just my ramblings. Hope they assist in some way. Good luck.

You might try working on someone else's stall to start with just to get a sense of potential problems, legislation you have to comply with etc. Also talk to other stallholders about the economics. I think a pitch at Glasto will cost you about £14,000, which will mean selling an awful lot of cakes before you even cover your costs.

Quantities and re-stocking will also be a critical issue. You don't want to be left with a lot of stale cakes but you also don't want to run out on day one.

We have a few stall vacancies remaining for Itchycoo Park Festival - 2nd-3rd June in Ewhurst, Surrey.

http://www.itchycooparkfestival.com -

If you're interested, drop me an email, and I'll send you the contact details through.

My email: itchycooparkfestival@gmail.com

Cheers.