Kowalski

Festival Number 6 - Portmeirion, Wales

Friendly Fires and Franz Ferdinand are weak headliners for the main stage, especially the former. Why not The Charlatans instead?

4 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Because they're not bigger these days than either band?

Are they?

The Charlatans are still going strong after all these years in my view. The last two albums are unsung jems, if not overhyped as their early classics. Besides that, Tim Burgess’ hefty contributions both as a curator and a performer to the festival over the years should not be dismissed. It is way too belated The Charlatans play in Portmeirion at all.

On the other hand, Friendly Fire and Franz already give a somewhat ‘has been’ feel to me despite that both came on to the scene much later than The Charlatans.

Just my two cents.

They're going strong? Still going maybe, but they're barely even O2 size anymore, while FF have come off a fairly successful tour of those venues.

That said, their newer stuff is considerably better than anything they did in their supposed prime, and it's unfortunate that it's the dross they created before that they're known for. But it is, and thus they're not particularly big anymore.

Friendly Fires only come across as "has been" because they hadn't done anything for a good number of years. FF have had steady success since the "Tonight" album. Are they as big as they were? Nope, but they're still big enough for this one.

I missed out The Charlatans’ most recent tour, but they quickly sold out the two consecutive nights at Manc’s Albert Hall in 2015 — but that’s Manchester for you.

I used to like Franz, but lost interest after a couple of albums. My preference aside, them being a main stage headliner at a small-sized festival like No.6 acceptable.

As for Friendly Fires, however, your comment has made me feel all the more unsure of their main stage headliner status. AFAIK they made only two albums so far and the last one is a 2011 release! I once saw them live and their performance was so-so if not dull. The Charlatans are always an exciting live act and would fit better IMHO.

Because of Festival 6 I had a listen to Franz Ferdinand's latest album and really liked it. They've gone the way of a few other bands and 'dancified' (yes that is a word!) themselves. Also, we know someone who saw them at The Albert Hall in Manchester and reported they were very good.

And that's my favourite thing about festivals - listening to music that you normally wouldn't do.

Friendly Fires are where they are because of where they were when they disappeared. They were about this level so the slot makes sense. Whether they're still in that range remains to be seen of course.

Thought The Charlatans were poor when I seen them 15 years ago but to say their output has improved since then would be a fairly hefty understatement so I'm probably curious to see how they'll do now. They've surprised me going through their stuff since the announcement.  I'm thinking they'll headline the Pavilion ( seems a small stage for them, but the slot seems to suit them ) so I probably won't see much of them.