Festival Number 6 - Portmeirion, Wales

Kowalski

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Friendly Fires are the FN6's big coup for this year if you ask me. They've got a strong cult following, have been seemingly dead for a while, I reckon a fair few fans will go purely for them. They were also a phenomenal live act before they disappeared, if they're still even half that good they'll walk all over pretty much anybody else on the bill.

I was at their brixton and Leeds come back gigs and they are still incredible. They smash it every time. The glasgow debacle sounded like it was more they were booked wrongly for a huge festival on a lineup that didnt suit them with a golden circle area at the front.

If you like them and know the tunes you will have a brilliant time, guaranteed. I think they do suit an academy sized venue best but thats the same for most festival headline acts.

Edited by Memory Man

I really enjoyed Friendly Fires at TRSNMT. I am a big fan of them and everyone else on the line up that day, so to me they weren't really out of place. It was a good opportunity to see them after all these years, so I can't really disagree with them being on. Obviously the golden circle wasn't great as there was a lot of space which could have been filled with more dancing bodies (think I was the only one moving), but I don't really think that impacted performance, they still seemed pretty chuffed just to be back which was lovely.

1 hour ago, zzzfest said:

Then they should have been booked for The Grand Pavilion (the tent stage) instead of Stage No.6 (the big stage)...anyway, rant over.

They have previously headlined lovebox. they are bigger than a 2nd stage headliner.

At this point id say they are just as big if not bigger than the waning franz ferdinand who I loved but its a long time since they were a killer band, lets be honest. Line up changes ruin bands for me.

42 minutes ago, betharm said:

I really enjoyed Friendly Fires at TRSNMT. I am a big fan of them and everyone else on the line up that day, so to me they weren't really out of place. It was a good opportunity to see them after all these years, so I can't really disagree with them being on. Obviously the golden circle wasn't great as there was a lot of space which could have been filled with more dancing bodies (think I was the only one moving), but I don't really think that impacted performance, they still seemed pretty chuffed just to be back which was lovely.

OK I will concede that they weren't out of place. I just thought everyone else on the line up was crap but thats just my taste ?

I was a big fan of Friendly Fires back in the day and caught them at All Points East. I was a little disappointed to be honest. They played the songs and the energy was there but it just felt a bit dated and not relevant to me anymore.

I actually think you might enjoy them more if you’ve never seen them before. The first time I ever saw them back in the day at Glasto I was blown away.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help. Searched through FAQs on the website as I don't want to be a tit and ask obvious questions, but.... 1) how much can you reasonably get on the bus from the carpark? Our only properly waterproof tent is biiiiig, plus coolbox, cider for four days etc.. is it going to be horrendous getting that to a campsite or do other people do the same? 2) how strict / difficult is it to get drinks into the arena? Don't mind buying a few in there but at £5 a go I don't want to bankrupt myself in one night. 3) (and final) is it easy to get into town for a supermarket dash? Thank you lovely efestivalers x

I've been a few times and never had an issue with getting stuff on the bus. What we've done is just take enough booze in for the first night and then the following morning go back for everything else once you've got the tent set up etc. It breaks it up a little and ensures you don't spend the first day going back and forth on the shuttle. 

As for drinks into the arena it's the same as most places, there are bag searches on entry but if you've got a jumper or can get some cans in your wellies you might get away with it!

If you've got a car with you then getting to a supermarket is easy, there's a Tesco about 5mins from the park and ride site.

• Like 1

This year is my first time at No 6, I was checking the T&Cs (mainly to find out how much alcohol I can bring) and I spotted that it says you can be refused admission to the venue/arena if you attempt to bring in various items that I'd expect to be banned from festivals, but also "man-bags". Is this serious? So I can bring the things I need in a handbag but my husband has to shove everything in his pockets? Or should I carry his bag through security, thus making it an entirely acceptable lady-bag?

• 3 weeks later...

Question about bringing alcohol.

Just found out I am taking someone's place and have seen the description about what alcohol you can bring.  Some questions though - you can bring 12 cans of beer but does each individually have to be decanted?  Does that mean every single time you want one, you have to go back to the campsite to get one?  Sounds pish.  If you choose to bring 'two bottles of wine' or 'one bottle of spirits', then how does that work?  Surely they don't just empty one of those into a big plastic pint cup and expect you to carry it about all day?

Also, do they search your pockets and pat you down? 

21 minutes ago, robskyd said:

Security isn't too bad in the main arena. If you've  a bag they'll search it otherwise you can just walk through. In the village it's less strict still.

The idea of the booze limit is for the campsite and they expect you to buy from the bars! 

So if you have booze buried in your luggage as you enter then they are not going to see it?  I'm staying in one of the luxury yurt things.

2 minutes ago, robskyd said:

Oh you mean taking to your tent/ yurt when you get there? 

I've never been asked at that point in the last three years. We're in a camper and have crates if beer, wine, spirits and cider!! 

It'll be fine :0) 

I'm more concerned with taking things into the site discretely but obviously it has to be stored in a tent or yurt or whatever it is I'm getting.

On my way home from FN6 with mixed feelings. I was somewhat shocked to see a far smaller crowd than I had predicted. In my rough estimation, almost half the size as 2015 and 2016 when overselling of the tickets was observed here. Reportedly they reduced the capacity from 15,000 to 12,000 last year, which contributed to a much more comfortable overall condition at the sell-out festival. This time it didn’t sell out. And this despite the announcement of next year’s break (many take it as the virtual end of FN6). Reminiscent of what happened to Electric Fields this year. Is general public tired of music festivals? Maybe. Personally I feel there are too many of them around these days, resulting in a competition of organizers, clashing dates, thinner lineups etc. Saturation in one word.

That being said, I can say this was another magical FN6 and I greatly enjoyed it all through the weekend, despite the partially foul weather — hardly year 2016 all over again though, even under the pouring rain. The headliners were all good except the last hiccup that marred the otherwise brilliant performance of The The — the curfew prevented them from giving encore against Matt Johnson’s enthusiasm, the microphone switched off, which left the audience in an undeniable anticlimactic mode on Saturday night. Afterwords I got the setlist from the sound man, which put Uncertain Smile and Lonely Planet as encore numbers. IMHO their allocation of 75mins on the timetable was a bit short in the first place — it should have been 90mins.

And — I have to admit — both Friendly Fires and Franz Ferdinand were not bad at all (an understatement, that is).

10 hours ago, zzzfest said:

Is general public tired of music festivals?

I don't think they are, but they are mostly tired of attending the same ones or even different ones that have all the same bands.

Festivals have for many become about 'the experience', and when you've been you want a new and different experience - so you move on to a different experience elsewhere.

• 11 months later...