Festival Number 6 - Portmeirion, Wales

Kowalski

I don't think Metronomy is a bad one at all, but if you take the three, especially compared to last year, then it's a weak three all in.

From a personal standpoint, I'm delighted with two of them. Metronomy especially. And the lineup is filled with good acts, but again, especially compared with last year, it's not as big.

They did save some big acts for the final announcement with the stage splits last year, so I think we'll get a couple of decent sized acts with that one.

After 10 pm the two tents mentioned by Stanton stop the live music and become dance tents.There are only ever djs at the Castell Garden too.The only live band after 10 pm is on the main stage.If you are dancing types (I'm not) you won't have a problem.The only alternative to the main stage and dance tents is the late night cinema in the village Gatehouse.

I've been to all three FN6 festivals and I thought the first was by far the best.Each year since then the organisers seem to be mainly interested in turning it into a festival for clubbers and I've become progressively more reluctant to buy a ticket.

The stage times are never released before you arrive so it's not possible for anyone to make a clashguide online until it's too late.I don't have a working camera at the moment but the print in the programme timetable is microscopic.

Thanks for the info. I am not really a dancing type (apart from the indie/rock disco.....). SO......i think we are gonna miss it this year.

Thanks again.

3 headliners are excellent for me, but there's nothing I'd want to see on the undercard except 2 Bears and British Sea Power. Really pleased that Metronomy have been given a UK festival headline slot, I believe this is their first at an established "medium sized" festival, they really deserve it, their live shows are always life-affirming.

3 headliners are excellent for me, but there's nothing I'd want to see on the undercard except 2 Bears and British Sea Power. Really pleased that Metronomy have been given a UK festival headline slot, I believe this is their first at an established "medium sized" festival, they really deserve it, their live shows are always life-affirming.

very little on the lineup for me at all but British Sea Power aren't bad, seen them at No 6 a few years ago

I'm with everyone else.. very pooor headliners this year.

I have been to the last 3 festival no 6's and the music does seem to be going more and more DJ every year. I like electronic music but No 6 needs to have a few decent rock / indie bands as well. Last year No 6 got every rock / indie lover to attend by booking Beck and he didn't dissapoint. This year 8/10 facebook comments are from girls contacting girls about enjoying a dance festival.

Florence + The Machine, Underworld, Manic Street Preachers, Belle & Sebastian, The War on Drugs, George Ezra, Roisín Murphy, Jon Hopkins, Tame Impala, Hot Chip, Future Islands, Jurassic 5, Chvrches, Ride, Battles, My Morning Jacket, Jessie Ware, Django Django, Low, Pond, fuzz etc on at the same weekend in ireland (Electric Picnic) so time for a change for me this year.

I'm with everyone else.. very pooor headliners this year.

I have been to the last 3 festival no 6's and the music does seem to be going more and more DJ every year. I like electronic music but No 6 needs to have a few decent rock / indie bands as well. Last year No 6 got every rock / indie lover to attend by booking Beck and he didn't dissapoint. This year 8/10 facebook comments are from girls contacting girls about enjoying a dance festival.

Florence + The Machine, Underworld, Manic Street Preachers, Belle & Sebastian, The War on Drugs, George Ezra, Roisín Murphy, Jon Hopkins, Tame Impala, Hot Chip, Future Islands, Jurassic 5, Chvrches, Ride, Battles, My Morning Jacket, Jessie Ware, Django Django, Low, Pond, fuzz etc on at the same weekend in ireland (Electric Picnic) so time for a change for me this year.

The strange thing is that they deploy a heavy handed approach to drugs but then are moving this more towards a dance/DJ festival.

They are basically relying upon the village itself being the main attraction every year and the Brythoniaid Choir usually is the highlight.

fortunate for myself I get a free ticket every year otherwise I would be looking elsewhere

Edited by dirty_dog

While the lineup isn't as big as it was last year. Looking down the lineup, there's a load of acts that I want to see, or are intrigued by. For the wants, you have...

Belle and Sebastian, Metronomy, James Bay, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Mark Ronson, British Sea Power, Everything Everything, Ghostpoet, Stornoway, Young Fathers, Fryars, Haelos

Then there's the likes of Badly Drawn Boy, Gaz Coombes, Years and Years, King Creosote, SOAK, Stealing Sheep and The Bohicas who all sound good to me and I'd give a go to, clashes providing.

There's only a few acts who I have no interest in seeing there. But the Arts and Culture lineup is equally important to me and they've done really well with it again. So it's a total no brainer for me. Can see why people would look at the music lineup and scoff though, because they've shown before that they can do a bigger lineup. It's clear that they're going for a younger fanbase and I think that does them a disservice.

The lineup looks decent & the location looks amazing, but for me they've priced it too high for what they have to offer at the moment.

It's more expensive than Green Man & it's in the same price bracket as Bestival EOTR & Latitude, all of which provide much better value for money across the board in my opinion.

you are correct with regards to line ups but when you consider its cost a tenner to get into Port Meirion any day of the week and

if you where allowed to camp in the same field when the festival isn't on that wouldn't be cheap either.

you are correct with regards to line ups but when you consider its cost a tenner to get into Port Meirion any day of the week and

if you where allowed to camp in the same field when the festival isn't on that wouldn't be cheap either.

But you could apply that logic to any of those festival sites, they're all great locations in their own way.

Festival No 6 feels like it's trying to compete with those festivals whilst not offering as much & in doing so it's pricing itself out of it's market which can't be good for business. If it were just £30-£40 cheaper it would look like much better value for money.

The thing is that the location is such a big part of the festival - and the arts side too - that when we're on these forums weighing up festivals pound for pound based on the music they have to offer then it does come up short. It could really have done with gradually increasing the prices so more and more people could experience it and see the other side to the festival rather than putting it up to major festival prices for it's second year but I assume there was reason behind that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't turn a corner in Manchester without somebody handing me a Festival no 6 leaflet these days. It's usually like this in August, but they seem to have started much earlier this year. Probably true what some have said about ticket sales, shame because I actually like the line-up, Metronomy will be a fucking excellent headliner, I commend Fn6 for being the first ones to put them at the top of the bill where they belong.