1st time at download, what to expect?

Guest Kaber

We've been going to titp last few years but its just getting worse with neds and the line-up seems to be gettin a bit repetitive, so me and my 2 mates have decided to try Download this year after seeing the line-up! we bought 5 day camping but wont get down till the thursday, what time does the gates close for the campsite? (my mate might not get thursday off work and doesn't finish till 4 and we're leaving from glasgow)

just looking for some info on what to expect and some do's and dont's if any lol!!

Ive been to TITP twice and Download 3 times so think im alright to answer this.

Regarding getting to Download and the campsite being closed I dunno, I remember in 2010 we had a couple in our group who turned up Thursday night and wanted to get in at midnight so they only had to pay a 3 weekend camping pass and they wouldn't let them in until the morning.

But you having 5 day camping pass you should be fine.

Im pretty sure you could arrive late on Thurs and get in no problem, the problem you will have is finding a camping spot and it will be dark. Obviously lanes are lit, but away from that where you have to actually find space between tents its gunna be darker.

When you get on site you walk in and have to enter on your right, which goes around and you get searched [not likely, but because you're arriving late more likely due to less people] and ticket rip for wristband all at the same place, when you walk through this bit, you're immediatly in the campsite village. If you walk through this there will be paths leading to the bulk of the campsites on the right and another campsite is straight ahead. I camp in the ones to the right.

When it gets to Friday and bands start, you will come back through the campsite village and out the way you came but then follow it around and its a fair walk, not unlike the walk it is from campsite to arena at TITP. You're looking at drinking one or two cans on this journey, and really you won't want to be coming back to camp until end of the day.

At night all entertainment in is the campsite village, and you can nip back to your tents easy enough to grab more beer, all tented areas here you can take your beer in. Download has all the same sort of stuff you'd expect at TITP.

Anything else just ask

cheers for the reply salt, my mates knows a few boys going down on the wed so hoping they dont mind putting our tent up for us meaning we can jus head down on the thur after work and get in with our cargo and stuff!

really cant wait now, is the atmosphere better than titp? i cant see alot of muppets going to download?

cheers for the reply salt, my mates knows a few boys going down on the wed so hoping they dont mind putting our tent up for us meaning we can jus head down on the thur after work and get in with our cargo and stuff!

really cant wait now, is the atmosphere better than titp? i cant see alot of muppets going to download?

Well, I've never been to TITP, but I used to go to Leeds every year but not now. We always do Download, and maybe just consider others. It's not just the line-up and bands, it's the overall vibe and atmosphere. There just don't seem to be the A***holes that go to the others. Well maybe a few, but certainly not as many.

I went to T in the Park for 10 years up until 2008 but stopped going for pretty much the same reasons as you have outlined. I started going to Download in 2009 and dont think that I could go back to T now. The general vibe is much friendlier and more chilled around the site. As an example the first year I went to Download I ended up going by myself after my mate pulled out. I camped next to some people from Manchester and I meet up and camp with them every year now. I really enjoy the Thursday when you can just hang out and meet people - last year there was about 20 of us from Manchester, Edinburgh (me), Cardiff, Devon and Glasgow who had never met before and we just sat at the bar in the campsite village talking about Kiss. I remember when that used to happen at T but it has been over run with neds.

I went to T in the Park for 10 years up until 2008 but stopped going for pretty much the same reasons as you have outlined. I started going to Download in 2009 and dont think that I could go back to T now. The general vibe is much friendlier and more chilled around the site. As an example the first year I went to Download I ended up going by myself after my mate pulled out. I camped next to some people from Manchester and I meet up and camp with them every year now. I really enjoy the Thursday when you can just hang out and meet people - last year there was about 20 of us from Manchester, Edinburgh (me), Cardiff, Devon and Glasgow who had never met before and we just sat at the bar in the campsite village talking about Kiss. I remember when that used to happen at T but it has been over run with neds.

Edited by biffoire

I do both festivals and they are certainly different. I think the crowd at Download can be a little flat at times but T has too many bams. I love both fests but if I had to choose just one it would be Download. I've always gone with a Bongo camper so I don't know about the camping thing. The village is far superior to the entertainment at T though.

my public masterbation trench coat is packed already!

One of the best things I saw at Download in either 09 or 10 was some guys put a glowstick on fishing line and threw it on the path, when people went for it they pulled it until it was at their feet then the person looked up and they were all pissing themselves, it was awesome.

Edited by AcademicPistol