Hyde Park 2012

Guest Kierkegaard

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to agree with general points about the sound volume. Other points about the toilets I'd dispute having been at T in the Park the previous week, those portocabins were a luxury.

Food stalls were a rip off, but its the same at all outdoor music events. We went for pub lunches before going into Hyde Park for HRC and got a snack nearer the hotel later on after the event.

I got ripped off at the bar before Bruce Springsteen. The bar was absolutely rammed and it took an age to get served. I handed over £20 for 4 pints of lager (priced £18) and the Spanish girl didn't come back with change. When I questioned this she said she I wasn't due any then changed her story to that she had given me it but the guy beside me (who I'd never met before) also argued my case.

There wasn't any point trying to argue it further for £2 when I needed to get a place for Bruce starting.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote a lengthy complaint about the HRC Bruce Springsteen gig to both Live Nation and HRC. I've had no response at all from HRC, and nothing from Live Nation except their automatic acknowledgement promising a reply within 1 working day. After a month had gone by, I sent them a reminder, but still nothing. So good luck with that. Disgraceful to ignore genuine complaints from customers.

It would somewhat exceed the character limit on Twitter :sarcastic:

Seriously, I shouldn't have to resort to that. Plenty of others still complaining on FB, but it seems to be water off a duck's back.

It all just exposes the contempt they have for us - their customers. "We've had your money, now fuck off".

Actually yes - Murrayfield in Edinburgh is a very upmarket area with a lot of wealthy residents (possibly including a number of MPs and important business people).

it hosts 6 nations Rugby, and concerts at a louder volume a few times a year. It has a curfew to obey - as Madonna found out a week after Bruce & Paul at HP - but other than that its fine. I guess it all boils down to how spineless your local authority is.

Fair point, but seriously, the nearest residential areas are still quite a distance from the arena. I take it starting the music an hour or so earlier wouldn't be an acceptable compromise to get a louder volume?

The example I gave about Murrayfield in Edinburgh is a big contrast as the stadium has a couple of playing fields on two sides but is far closer to houses, and I'd bet there are a few lawyers and judges nearby and they aren't slow to complain about anything....

Scotland has traditionally had much looser entertainment laws than England.

I'd guess that the cultural attitude the country has which has allowed those looser laws follows thru into how much people might complain, and how much notice might be taken of any complaints.

Meanwhile, the Duke of Westminster who owns so much of London's prime land is used to - for centuries - having the city and the parliament jump to his every wish. And the other residential properties in the area are owned by the richest and most powerful people in the country.

I'd love to go back next year to HRC as the general experience was good, but if the headliners are elsewhere in the UK at stadiums, I may be tempted to do that instead. Sound levels were a joke - I couldn't hear anything Bruce said inbetween songs because of people talking around me, and cutting of Bruce and Sir Paul was embarassing.

The only criticism I've got of the Best of British gig is the bar queues. The worst of which could be avoided by walking to that beer garden bit.

The sound level was ok where we were standing, the clarity was excellent. Blur and the Specials were both fantastic. Bit disappointed with New Order, who ever said they lacked spark hit the nail on the head. Bernard Sumner hasn't developed much stage presence over the last 30 years. Who would have thought Hooky had all the carisma.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...