Bestival 2012 Headliners

Guest Paul ™

I think the reason a lot of people ask or at least suggest headliners from a bygone era is due to the fact I think we're all dangerously nostalgic, and we all secretly yearn for music from a time when it was worth more than life itself; when it had some character, depth and value.

I mean, I might shoot myself in the foot by saying this but there's nothing pretentious about me saying I bought a Steps single once upon a time as I rifle through my CD collection. Not that they ever had much character, but at least I can look back and say 'oh how embarrassing' and so on, and at least I have that damn CD. In 20 years time, Rizzle Kicks will just be an indiscernible block on a hard drive's partition that people only vaguely remember, if that hard drive partition exists at all. Adults of the future will look at this block and say 'oh how embarrassing' or 'what an embarrassing block that was' but they won't be able to recover it or reminisce.

It's a lot harder to put Prince into your recycle bin. I mean, who are our legendary headliners going to be in 20 years? N-Dubz?

Edited by Dave The Hedgehog

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. (there's more on this in an interview published on Monday) no chance for bands in the UK to get beyond a certain level by playing across the festival circuit to become a household name due to exclusivity deals choking off new talent by big festivals who want to tap into the talent to keep their festivals current - the result - more acts having a lesser shelf life as they fail to build an 'across festivals' audience. Less proficiency witihin the band to step a gear through playing live every weekend to big crowds.

ie The hottest act of 2008 signs so many exclusive deals for money to appear at big festivals on small stages, that by the time 2012 rolls around they're hardly known as a live 'festival' band, and can't hold a big audience as they've hardly had to do it - game over.

I'm thinking one of the two "legendary" headliners Rob's booked, and "isn't who you think" (assuming by that he means they've barely been mentioned either here or on the official forum) might be Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.

EDITED TO ADD: Looking back, his "legendary" tweet was referring to "One second headliner and one big top sunday headliner", ie Sigur Rós and Orbital. So that's no help in guessing the main stage headliners at all. I still think Nick Cave is a good bet though.

Going of the 'heritage' tag, and the fact that I dont think they have been mentioned anywhere (though there may be reasons for this, costs in getting them, probably dont do fests etc) but would Fleetwood Mac be a shout?

I'd have thought they'd be well out of Bestival's price range. I've been led to believe that they won't consider anything except full-fee shows, and their shows have expensive tickets.

Out of interest, was it known whether The Cure commanded a large fee last year?

Not known by me.

I'd guess that their fee was around the standard sort of a fee for a headliner for a fest of about Bestivals's size, but that's just a guess. While I know that The Cure want to think of themselves as a headliner band (and want others to think it too, so they get bookings at that level), I'd like to think that they're grounded enough to not get silly with the fee they want.

I wonder if he means New Order era heritage, or are we looking more at Elton or Dolly? I know he's been trying to book both of them since day one.

People talk of their definitely being a 'dance' headliner but if you take Daft Punk out of the equation (which I'm sure we definitely can. No product to promote means no robots), who is around that is big enough and not already headlined? The Prodge, Chems, Underworld, Massive Attack, Kraftwerk, PSBs, Basement Jaxx have already done it. Faithless have split up. Who else is there? Are Moby and Jason Statham big enough? I don't think so.

For what it's worth, I'd plump for New Order, Elton and one of Pulp, Pixies and Roses for the other slot. But that doesn't look like a very Bestival-style line up so I almost certainly talking utter shit.

Edited by jump