Bestival 2012 Headliners

Guest Paul ™

If we're going for a classic act, why not Neil Young and Crazy Horse?

I personally doubt that Bestival have Neil Young this year.

I've heard nothing about Bestival wanting him, but I have heard that Young has turned down an offer this year which is likely to have been a much better offer than Bestival would have been likely to have made.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree that it could be florence + the machine and new order.

i really dislike forence but i'm sure she would be a popular booking.

new order would be good, they're definitely big enough to headline a festival of bestival's size. i'm not sure how many younger people would go and see them, but i think they would still get a decent crowd. what's the age group like at bestival?

i would love pulp to headline, but not sure if i could see it happening since they headlined bigger festivals last year.

it'll be interesting to see who will headline on the sunday, it will need to be someone really amazing to follow sigur ros.

new order would be good, they're definitely big enough to headline a festival of bestival's size.

they really aren't.

They can pull it off by reputation but as a crowd draw by their own name they're well short.

what's the age group like at bestival?

almost exclusively 20-30.

i would love pulp to headline, but not sure if i could see it happening since they headlined bigger festivals last year.

I think they're a very good shout for the headliner myself.

They're just about the perfect sized act. Those bigger shows last summer have a novelty-just-reformed factor.

would bestival pay enough though?

yep, unless Pulp have suddenly got greedy.

Around ten years ago they headlined Homelands and Guilfest (maybe others too, I forget) - both smaller festivals than Bestival is.

While it might be said that there was a boredom factor with Pulp back then and they're bigger now as a reformed band, they're not that much bigger else the R/L tickets would have flown last summer.

Bestival is just about the right size for Pulp this summer I'd say.

Whenever I went to see New Order in 2002, going to Bestival last year reminded me 'a lot' of the sort of vibe I experienced there in Finsbury Park, albeit with slightly better weather at Bestival. Age and demographic aren't really important when it comes to New Order, and if it is then it falls firmly into Bestival's comfort zone.

And it seemed to a good spread of 20s-30s and 30-40s at Bestival last year. It was my first year and I thought the age ranges were quite similar to Glastonbury, with quite a few oldies.

That's very different to how it's been previously. I'd guess those older folks were drawn by The Cure.

I'm not sure that would be repeated even if (say) an act of a similar age such as New Order headlined. There's a rareity about Cure shows (except not this summer :lol:) which always has their hardcore fans come out of the woodwork.

Then again, I'd guess that Bestival will pick up some of the older Glasto crowd this summer who are looking for alternatives, and I'd guess that some of those it attaracted last summer will return.

Neil you mentioned Homelands earlier, I know it's off topic, but does anything happen with regards to Homelands anymore, and why did it shut down? It's a festival i've always been interested in, but never been able to find out much about.

It's not happened for the best part of ten years.

Pulp were a headliner in one of its last years (can't remember if it was the very last), and part of a failed attempt to broaden its appeal as the trend for dance music died off. I'd say that that attempt is what properly killed it, because it probably alienated a large part of the dance crowd while not being enough 'rock' to get enough replacements in.

i have a feeling its gonna be the xx and then florence as headliner. when her new album first came out a few months ago, rob da bank was tweeting a lot about her and the album. i know that isn't solid information in any way, but at the time (when he was tweeting) i thought it was a bit odd that he was going on about her so much and i thought then that she could be a potential headliner.

and yeah, if it does happen i'm sure she'll come out with the xx for their version of her cover. it was a pretty special an ear-plugs moment at glastonbury a few years ago

Corrected for you. :P

Is Beck touring this year? That'd be an amazing booking.

Not sure Radiohead are that likely. Didn't they go on some rant about wanting people to only travel short distances for festivals?

If New Order would be too small, chances of seeing them elsewhere on the lineup?

Moby is incredible live. Seen him 3 times, Rock Werchter, an unplugged show at Shaftesbury Theatre, and Camden Roundhouse. Immense every time, with completely different types of sets.

Would be delighted if he played. Would be a great booking. Would he be able to headline though?